Skip to Content

Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
dellac
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Unread post by dellac » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi again GM .. Just looked at our paper work and it was FA6C we stayed in on 17/2 & 25/2 ... Neither was good ... But we did stay in 2 one bedded bungalows BA3U on the 17/3 and they where much better .. :whistle:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:08 am

Thank you for the response Elsa :gflower: and Della :gflower:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Dikkes

Unread post by Dikkes » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:52 pm

We are staying at B'nD for the first time. We are allocated BA3U no. 23 and 24. I see from the map that they face the fence. What are the bungalows and the view like?

Thanks in advance.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't see those particular ones in the Accommodation photos
but maybe someone has stayed in there who can give feedback, otherwise please do take some pics to add to the topic when you get back Dikkes.

coxell

Berg en Dal Unit 24 BA3U

Unread post by coxell » Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 am

Just spent 2 days here can recommend this unit. Close enough to the fence although there are some big trees in front. Lower Sabie EH4 , no 66 also very good has all the crockery etc and a smalll sink. No kettle or hot plate though. Just spent a magical 9 nights in the Kruger were so blessed to see the Big 5 on Sat 28th May while driving down from Satara to Berg en Dal. Our first Big 5 sighting ever !!

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Berg en Dal Unit 24 BA3U

Unread post by hilda » Tue May 02, 2017 8:08 am

Congratulations on your first Big 5 sighting coxell! :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the feedback on the unit. Glad you enjoyed your Kruger holiday! :dance: :dance:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Elsa

Re: Berg en Dal Unit 24 BA3U

Unread post by Elsa » Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks so much for the feedback Coxell. :thumbs_up:
If you perhaps took any pics of the accommodation it would be greatly appreciated if you posted them Index to Accommodation photos Kruger

Mungos mungo

Unread post by Mungos mungo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Dikkes wrote:We are staying at B'nD for the first time. We are allocated BA3U no. 23 and 24. I see from the map that they face the fence. What are the bungalows and the view like?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Dikes, any feedback regarding 23 and 24? We are also staying in these units!
Speed prosecution by distance – A solution to speeding in the Kruger?

Dikkes

Unread post by Dikkes » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm

No feedback. Sorry.

Lennie Senior

Unread post by Lennie Senior » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 am

I am an annual camping visitor to KNP, all the way from Cape Town. I am also a defender of Sanparks and their efforts, mostly under difficult circumstances, to ensure that this wonderful heritage gem remains a tourist attraction to all South Africans and tourists from abroad. Browsing through the 10 pages of this discussion (145 comments) since 2005 of Berg & Dal underlines the beauty of this camp, its facilities and surroundings. My friend Stoffel also commented on this thread years ago in this regard, however, it was most disturbing to learn from him (with photographs as proof) of the current terrible state of affairs in management of this camp. These photographs tell a story that no KNP-fanatic wants to see. Stoffel has raised the matter in writing with his photographs as proof through the correct channels at Sanparks and I have requested him to discuss his personal experience here as well.

My view is that a matter such as this must be shared with all KNP fanatics to ensure that this trend of poor management and maintenance at Berg & Dal is reversed without fail. Adding to this, the baboon and monkey problem at Berg & Dal is totally out of hand and if other rest camps can do it, this camp should also be able to arrest this problem. (We all know the reason for the monkey and baboon problem, but rule obeying visitors should not be left to merely accept the chaos and damages caused by this problem).

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 am

Len - Thank you for raising this matter on this forum too. I did send an e-mail to (hopefully) the relevant persons. I placed the photos regarding my concerns in Berg-&-Dal on the CaravanParks.com forum and cannot remember how to place photos on this forum anymore.

The very same issues were raised with SANParks in October 2015 regarding the ablution facilities in Berg-&-Dal. I received the following reply from Londiwe Masondo:

We acknowledge receipt of your feedback and thank you for taking time to complete our Guest Feedback form. We value your feedback as it assists us in addressing all raised issues efficiently and give us the opportunity to address and improve our service standard.

Kindly note that the concerning issues mentioned below are receiving the necessary attention from the camp management. On behalf of KNP management, kindly accept my apologies for the inconvenience endured.

I have sent the following this morning (with photos):

I trust that the persons included in this e-mail, are still relevant to what I am addressing in this e-mail.

As you can see below, I complained in October 2015 about the ablution we used during our stay in Berg-&-Dal. I mentioned that I will be visiting this camp again in June 2016, but my plans changed as I mainly visited the northern and central camps. However, I did camp in Berg-&-Dal for 7 nights (9 – 15 May) this year. We have spent a total of 29 nights in the park (1 x Malelane, 7 x Berg-&-Dal, 7 x Lower Sabie, 7 x Satara and 7 x Tsendze). What I am addressing in this e-mail regarding Berg-&-Dal, does not apply to any of the other mentioned camps. The ablutions were quite neat and very acceptable in all the others, but oh my word, Berg-&-Dal’s were appalling.

This time we used the ablution block in the far end of the camping area. I will address the issues one by one:

• In the first photo (115410), the path (if you can call it a path), leading to the entrance area of both the Gents’ and Ladies’ bathrooms, can be seen. It is uphill, uneven, a mess during rain with obstacles (painted white), making it a rather difficult for especially elder people and those reliant on wheel chairs. The facilities inside have toilets for the latter, but there is no way in which they can manoeuvre the “path” to the entrance.
• The next three photos (115438, 115528 & 115605) shows the signs of absolute no maintenance. Everywhere signs of wood rot are seen and only one of the shower cubicles had a sliding bolt to close the door.
• Photo 115501 shows the impractical design of two of the shower cubicles on the men’s side, where you must walk through the dressing area of the first cubicle before you can reach the next cubicle – also with doors that cannot lock (swing doors). In my opinion, this is unheard of to expect that strangers should be exposed to other persons while showering or getting dressed.
• Photo 115626 shows the big window from the inside that has surely not been cleaned for a very long time. One cannot help to get the impression that things are just left alone to take their course.
• The next two photos (115302 & 115320) shows the signs of total neglect to maintain the building in proper condition.
• The wash up sinks (photos 115211 & 115232) is proof of the poor maintenance performed. Firstly, the taps and piping appeared of a “don’t care” attitude towards proper repairs. The tap on the right-hand side fell off because it did not have the necessary screw to attach it. The plugs were tied with a steel cable that already started eroding, making it rather difficult not to scratch your hands and kept on hooking to dishes.

If other camps can maintain an acceptable level of neatness and maintenance in their ablutions and kitchens, it can surely be done in Berg-&-Dal too. Presently the ablution facilities in Berg-&-Dal is a blot on Kruger’s name.

The next issue I want to raise is the total lack of baboon control in Berg-&-Dal. I realise it is a problem in many other camps too, but one gets the impression that other camps try to do something about the problem. Last year we saw baboon “chasers” in Shingwedzi. As soon as baboons entered the camp, these persons started chasing them away. In Lower-Sabie (this year), rangers with rifles tried to shoot the culprits – although without success – but at least something is done. We saw for ourselves baboons running over the electric wires in front of the cattle grid at Berg-&-Dal’s entrance as if there is no electricity in the wiring. I kept guard for a whole afternoon when they raided a tent of campers opposite me. It was only when a Honorary Ranger (in training) came to stay in the camp and chasing them with fire crackers that it seemed the problem lessened. The baboon “situation” in Berg-&-Dal is surely the worst of all Kruger National Park camps and should really be addressed in all earnest.

Otherwise Berg-&-Dal is such a wonderful camp, situated in one of the most scenic areas of Kruger, with one of the better shops and restaurants in the park. It is surely one of our favourite camps to visit, but with the issues and problems raised above, I do not foresee that it will stay on our “favourite’s list” if the above-mentioned is not addressed properly

Lennie Senior

Unread post by Lennie Senior » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:00 pm

As per Stoffel's post above :
Attachments
20170515_115528.jpg
20170515_115438.jpg
20170515_115410.jpg
20170515_115320.jpg
20170515_115302.jpg
20170515_115211.jpg

Lennie Senior

Unread post by Lennie Senior » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Two more images as per Stoffel's post :-
Attachments
20170515_115605.jpg
20170515_115501.jpg

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Stoffel - did you use the feedback channels as per the contacts in this post? It is better to write to customer care as they will forward the email to the relevant management for attention. That is the only channel to use for your complaint to receive the attention it needs.
- Dalene

Lennie Senior

Unread post by Lennie Senior » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm

I agree, complaints should be addressed through the correct channels to ensure corrective measures to be taken. I am convinced that is what Stoffel did, now and in 2015.

In addition I would say it is also valuable information shared right here on KNP Camps & Roads where fellow Kruger fans ask and get on the spot information regarding experiences obtained at the camps and roads in Kruger, regardless whether it is positive or negative.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”