Skip to Content

What if the road is closed to your next camp?

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
jaun1
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What if the road is closed to your next camp?

Unread post by jaun1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:11 am

I was wondering what would happen if you can't reach your next camp due to flooded roads or road closures.
Especially the bush camps, like Biyamiti. Alternative accommodation would be difficult because most of the camps are fully booked at a present day.
With lots of rain expected the next two months, this could become a real problem.
Feb'17 ***16 Berg & Dal***17,18 Tamboti***19 Letaba***20-24 Olifants***24 Lower Sabie***25 Biyamiti***26 Marloth

Nov'17 ***19 Shimuwini***20 Bateleur***21,22 Sirheni***23,24 Punda Maria***25 Letaba***26,27 Tamboti***28,29 Olifants***30,01 Mopani

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: What if the road is closed to your next camp?

Unread post by Hugh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:58 am

I see you are booked for feb and that is usually a fairly quiet month with all kids back at school and Varsity and folks broke from over spending at Christmas SO you will probably find if it was too wet to go to the bush camp there would be accommodation available in the big camps
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:32 am

In camps like Biyamiti, if you can't get out, then others can't get in, so you would just have to stay put, but in the other case scenario where you couldn't access your next camp, then I'm sure they would make a plan and accommodate you in one of the other camps that had availability.
And they will keep emergency availability for just those reasons!
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

jaun1
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by jaun1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks, that makes sense, I guess you would just have to be happy with what you get then.

I would cry a full Biyamiti river if we can't get to our first stay in Biyamiti next month :cry: ,,,,,, but then again, I guess the rivers and dams have to get full :whistle:
Feb'17 ***16 Berg & Dal***17,18 Tamboti***19 Letaba***20-24 Olifants***24 Lower Sabie***25 Biyamiti***26 Marloth

Nov'17 ***19 Shimuwini***20 Bateleur***21,22 Sirheni***23,24 Punda Maria***25 Letaba***26,27 Tamboti***28,29 Olifants***30,01 Mopani

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:02 pm

I will keep my fingers crossed that you have a wonderful stay in the stunning Biyamiti camp jaun1! :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:52 am

This actually happened to me in Jan 2011. We were in our last night in Lower Sabie when the rain started and the next morning we were supposed to be heading for 2 nights in Biyamiti.

Lower Sabie was fully booked so we drove down to Crocodile Bridge and every gravel road was closed.

To be honest it was a bit chaotic as no one really knew what was happening and Crocodile Bridge couldn't contact Biyamiti. We drove outside the park to Malalene gate and then drove up to Skukuza where the very nice lady at reception there booked us into a very nice unit in Skukuza - she tried to get us as near to what we'd booked at Biyamiti (price and size wise) so we had a large rondavel that had recently been renovated. Not Biyamiti but it was the best thing we could have done. As all the gravel roads south of Letaba were closed, Skukuza was the best place to be for driving the tar roads. We could still get to Berg-an-dal, Pretoriouskop, Lower Sabie and even up to Tshokwane so we had plenty of choice. Anywhere else and we wouldn't have had as much choice. In fact it was one of the best 2 days we had, as the sightings became somewhat unusual. All the animals seemed to head for the tar roads as the bush was just too wet, and most humans decided to stay dry in their accommodation. Seeing the Sabie and Sand rivers in full flow was amazing. I'm very glad we weren't in one of the riverside units at Skukuza though, I'd have been very worried as the river got to within a few metres of the stoep.

I'm sure lessons have been learned since 2011 and that SANParks are a little more proactive in advising their guests of what to do when this sort of thing happens. But basically my advice is - go to reception of the nearest camp and ask.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

jaun1
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by jaun1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks saraf for sharing your experience.

And thanks for the advice. Yes it's always the unexpected / unplanned things that turns out to be the best experiences ever.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”