Skip to Content

Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread post by Tessa G » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:06 am

Here you go Fizzpop, you will find all the camps e-mail and phone details on this link:
Scroll down and you will find Tamboti

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/c ... mp-tel.php
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Talamati, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:58 am

Hi Fizzpop, I can concur with Tessa that the camp is really spruced up. 8)

Enjoy your time there. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

garethrix

Unread post by garethrix » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Everyone

Firstly, I enjoyed reading everyone'comments on this camp, how I have never stayed here before I do not know as it like the perfect little set up.

I have finally booked a stay at this camp from the 21st to 25th December this year- I cannot wait :o I have one concern though, what is the heat like this time of year? I stayed in Lower Sabie tents in December last year and it was unbearable. I would appreciate everyone's comments?

We have booked the non luxury tents, as the luxury ones were fully booked. I am keen to experience the night life there? I believe Hyenas are frequent as are the occasional lion and leopard calls :)

Look forward to your response.

Gareth

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Gareth, I have stayed in both camps and like you was in Lower Sabie tents during December. The only advantage you may have at Tamboti is some of the tents may be slightly more shaded. In addition, because of the bathroom set up with the tents at Lower Sabie, one can only roll up one side of the tent flaps. At Tamboti you will be able to roll up both sides for some air flow.

If we are in a heat wave again I'm afraid it's going to much the same. Having said that I've "booked"my tent at Skakuza and will take with my own fan to help.

Tamboti is amazing - ablutions are excellent and game viewing is excellent from your tent!

Its worth it, and if it wasn't for a promise to spend lots of time at lake Panic with my son - would join you...

Horrace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:07 pm

My pleasure. Given the heatwave last year I did some research on building very small evaporative cooler using a box fan - hoping it will help this December ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Tamboti, together with Shingwedzi, are our favourite camps.

Last year we spent 7 nights at Tamboti in the non luxury tents Garethrix and just LOVED it.
I suffer from the heat and found the tents quite comfortable when you open all the flaps and put the fan on. During the heat of the day, we even turned the fan around so that it blew out onto the stoep, giving movement of air.
Tamboti has lots of trees and bush and we have found on our numerous visits, that most of the tents get a lot of shade.

I can imagine that any camp could have a noisy element at sometime or another and one just needs to address with management if it should occur. I think the Duty Managers telephone number for each camp is on the Entry/Exit Permit. We were at Tamboti on New Years Eve and found it very quiet.

We are there again this year from 29th - 31st December, so will just miss you, before moving off to Biyamiti.

Have a wonderful trip :dance:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Talamati, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:19 pm

We have stayed at Tamboti several times - always in the "luxury" tents - i.e. the ones with toilet, shower and hotplate for cooking. Too old and lazy for midnight treks to the loo!! We go out of "popular" times and have never experienced any noise at all while staying there.

On one trip I was on my own and at about 2 or 3 a.m. there was a huge noise and the tent literally shook. I "came to" quickly and grabbed my spotlight and rushed out onto the deck. There, in the dry river bed, were two huge beautiful lions - standing facing each other, about 6 feet apart, and both roaring. It was something I will remember for the rest of my life!

One problem with the situation of the camp is that for a while there is really only one road (the H7 tar road) to drive on, until one gets to the Rabelais loop and the road off that down to Talamati. The S36 and S39 Timbavati River road are further on and the S100 even further. I know people rave about the H7, but we have not had much luck - except once seeing the Timbavati coalition of 12 male lions (juvenile to full-maned adults) walking along the opposite bank of the river.

It is a very "different" camp, but we love it.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:00 pm

We were at Tamboti in December, and though it was hot, there was a huge thunderstorm in the night. Scared me spitless! (I live in the Cape... lol)

Never been TOO hot there -- worse at Lower Sabie in December...
ENjoy and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

coxell

Unread post by coxell » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:44 am

Good day Mites, Has anyone stayed in the LST3 tents recently? I have booked into the CTT4 for 3 nights in late April 2017 (thanks Horrace for your reply to my original query)I wondered what condition they were in and if they are worth it having to paying the extra R 780 a night to be in the LST3 tents?

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leaping Lizards » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi coxell

It is difficult to say if it is worth the R780 extra, because different people value different things. We have stayed in both, and enjoy both, but would gladly pay the extra for LST3.

It’s more than just a bathroom and hotplate. There is a dressing room section, the bathroom and shower area is quite big and there is a net covering over the bathroom that, in the morning sunlight, shines into the shower for a morning sunshine shower. (Not sure if all units)

Regards
August/September - Sirheni, Letaba, Talamati and Satara :P

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”