Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: IS Tamboti suitable for children

Unread post by cheetahlady » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Taryncmurray

We will be staying at Tamboti for the first time next year, but our son is a teenager, so no worries about running around.

We did stay at Orpen when he was about 2 years old. We had one of the family cottages. The benefit is that there is space, both inside (in case of rain) and outside, for kids to play and run around. Orpen has a waterhole just outside the fence and can be seen from most of the bungalows.

Looking at the Tamboti tents, there is not as much space, and I don't think that there is anywhere for kids to play.

Either way, I am sure you will enjoy whichever camp you choose.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: IS Tamboti suitable for children

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 pm

A very warm welcome Taryncmurray. :gflower:

I am going to agree with the other mites.

I love going to Tambotie, but it is dangerous for young children. The thick riverine bush hides too many creepy, crawly, sliding, biting creatures.

Satara is a very child friendly camp. It also has great roads to explore. I found that I had to drive lots of short routes when my children were small, rather than the usual day long meandering. It is possible to do that from Satara, but not Tambotie. The choice of roads from Tambotie is much more limited.

If you want an early exit, the last night would be fine, but three might be rather taxing.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Slow Mo

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread post by Slow Mo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Recently spent a cracking two nights at Tamboti, really was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. Saw Mr Honeybadger doing his round and checking who was and wasnt in residence, also had a Genet whose green eyes were often seen looking towards our tent. In the afternoons, we had a very active group of mongoose who seemed to have lots to do around ours and our neighbours tents. The evenings were the best though, on our first night, I was left outside alone quietly reading, and was lucky enough to have a couple of visitors. The first was the genet, that climbed the steps onto our verandah, and then paused for a good 10 seconds when it realised I was still there. The second was a honeybadger whose head appeared above the top step, I told him he was too early and he quite kindly went back on his way. Later that night around 3.30am the crashing and banging began, and I was lucky enough to catch the below of the two rascals as they made their getaway.

Night two was much calmer, although once again the Genets eyes could be seen glowing in the bushes nearby. However just before bedtime, I unfortunately caught sight of the backend of a snake making its way into the gaps between the tent canvas! As a man scared of snakes it meant for quite a restless night in the tent, with the torch flashing on and off at various intervals just to check we didnt have an unwanted visitor making its way to the bed.

Travelstory

Unread post by Travelstory » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Stayed at this lovely camp November 2013 - river bed was dry. Coming back June 2015. I know there is no certain answer but is there more likely to have water in the river then?
Thank you,
Dana

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Really difficult to say, of course it will depend on how much and whether there has been late rains but I somehow doubt you will see much water in the river.
It tends to rise quickly and then fall again just as fast.

duncanblizzard

Unread post by duncanblizzard » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 am

Can Tamboti guests do Sunset Drives with Orpen?

If so, any thoughts on how good they tend to be on average (and I know any given night can be good or bad)?

alf

Unread post by alf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:47 am

Yes tamboti guests can do sunset drives with orpen. They will pick you up at the 1st ablution block in camp
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:54 am

Duncanblizzard, Tamboti is in a very good game viewing area and you can see everything from leopard to impala on a sunset drive, but as with game viewing during the day, it is always 'the right place at the right time.'

We had amazing sightings around Tamboti and on the H7 and Rabelais Rd during our recent visit. H7 has become my new favourite drive :D
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Talamati, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:51 pm

catman wrote:
The one big issue I had is the monkeys. They are now getting out of hand. We locked our tent closed all windows. Alas they tore open the windows got into the tent and ate a couple of hundreds of rands worth of food. It is unfortunately time Parks Board does something about this growing plague which also has affected picnic spots as well. They really need to be relocated somewhere else. I feel I should be able to site on patio and leave whatever I want there without having to worry about monkeys that will come and steal whatever they can.

But one bad day in Kruger beats a good day anyone else. Cant wait to book next trip.

Hi Catman, we must have been at Tamboti around the same time. We were in No.21, non luxury.

A suggestion that may help you for further trips that worked a treat for us...

All fridge stuff obviously went in fridge and then we bolted the cage closed. The rest of our groceries were kept in a deep plastic 'ammo box', with the lid securely in place. That was put on one of the shelves in the other side of the cage, with cage door shut and we then put a cable tie around the bolt when we went out, or at night. We had no trouble at all.

As far as Mr Honey Badger went, all our recyclable and non-recyclable items were put in the respective bins at the kitchens and we only had one night when he came crashing and banging and that was the night we forgot to take the refuse up.

I think we also need to remember that the wild is the wild and we are on their turf. The problems have arisen because we humans have gone and fed them in the first place, but I can imagine how irritating it must have been for you. :slap: :slap:

As far as hyenas go Leo21, we did have 2 pass our tent in the river bed at dusk one evening, but not seen again and not on the road. There were lots of leopard/lion/wild dog and jackal sightings, so yes maybe they feel the competition is a bit tight. :lol:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Talamati, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

GinaandChris

Unread post by GinaandChris » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Tamboti was and still is our most beloved camp in the park!
Well maintained, peaceful, calm, and always good for the unexpected!...
For sure the honey badger introduced itself already.

This year we stayed there for two nights from the 6th of March.
The first night we got visit by two cute genets.
The second eve an elephant walked along the dry river bed,
and in the morning a hyena just out of the fence infront of our tent.

So, the best advice, a must to stay!!!

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:
leo21 wrote:just kidding LOVLEY PLACE :P :clap: :thumbs_up:

Oh yeah!

Have you walked to the ablution block on a dark night and heard rustling in the bush?

Have you shone the torch into peering eyes at night.

Did you know that 3 of the big 5 have been found in camp?

Have you seen the other lesser predators there?

Think again.....

Last November I made the walk to the ablution block at 3 a.m, moonless night. No torch. Still get shivers up the spine just thinking about that.
Magic place.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Lepardfan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:14 pm

We just love Tamboti, of course it is not for the faint hearted....

When I'm in Tamboti I always try to imagine what it was like for the pioneers of Kruger, like Hamilton and his staff, to stay in the African bush, without any fences.

Tamboti is n special gem and to be honest when we stay there, we always go to the loo in pairs. My SO and kids always ask me but why should we do that? Then I say that should there be a Predator, I just trip you, so that I can have the upperhand to get away from it. Lol
Balule 29-30 June. :mrgreen:
Lower Sabie 1-2 July. :mrgreen:

Glory to God.

One day closer to my next visit

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 pm

roaneric wrote:Did you know that 3 of the big 5 have been found in camp?

When we stayed at Tamboti , morecat went to the bathroom and walked down the wrong path on her way back to our tent :slap: Walked up onto the deck and discovered a man laying naked on the deck reading a book , He casually said to her "Good Afternoon" :shock:
He was apparently not part of the big five Image
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 am

Yes, a super camp. The options for roads are somewhat limited, but for me the beauty of the area and the everchanging ecozones make up for it. Sometimes it is quiet, but when the game is out, you will be saturated with sightings. :D
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:08 am

Hello there RondaGreen.

Firstly, let me wish you a life affirming experience.

I am going to start by admitting that I am sensitive to cold.

I have been on many night drives, sundowner drives and early morning drives when going to the wilderness camps. I have learned to respect the rules of changing temperatures.

The temperatures drop very suddenly in June. A warm balmy day does not mean a pleasant night on an open vehicle.

Keep your extremities as warm as possible. Warm gloves, scarf, good head covering, and I wear thermal socks and underwear. I also layer my clothing. A polar neck helps, the best jacket you have and possibly something to cover your nose.

My coldest night was in Tambotie. My car thermometer registered minus six. That was once the sun had risen.

I love the camp, I would never not go there, regardless of the extremes. Just be prepared and you will have marvelous memories.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”