Skip to Content

Advice wanted- for Camps in the North

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
coxell

Advice wanted- for Camps in the North

Unread post by coxell » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:00 am

Good morning Mites, I have booked the following and would be grateful for your input regarding adding a new booking for Punda Maria and possibly changing Shingwedzi/Letaba amount of days. We have never stayed in the North.

Shingwedzi BD2 3 nights 27/8 to 30/8/2018
Letaba CTT4U 2 nights 30/08 to 1/09
Balule EH3 2 nights 1/09 to 3/09
Lower Sabie EH4 5 nights 3/09 to 8/09

Elsa

Re: Advice wanted- for Camps in the North

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:19 am

It is possible to do a full day drive from Shing up to Crooks corner and back provided you leave early but I would rather advise that you take one of your Shingwedzi nights and 1 from LS to make 2 at Punda, very special camp and part of the park. 8)
Then you can experience this historical camp and also the Mahoni loop.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 am

Hi Coxell,

What an interesting itinerary.

I do agree with Elsa, that Punda is worth a couple of days. I was wondering if you could possibly take one night from Shingwetzi and a night from Letaba, or Lower Sabie. I think a lot depends on your priorities.

Both Punda and Shingwetzi deserve a minimum of 2 nights.

I do love Lower Sabie. I love the roads and the eco diversity, September can, however, be rather a busy month.

The reason why I thought of possibly Letaba :hmz: is the fact that many roads will overlap with Balule.

My own choice would be 2 nights Punda, 2 nights Shingwetzi, 2 nights Balule, 4 nights Lower Sabie. My crowd reluctance might lead me to choose Letaba for2 nights and take a night from Lower Sabie. You might have different priorities though.

I am rather :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: as I write this. Good luck. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:33 am

I fully agree with Elsa and MM's suggestions. I've only stayed at Punda once but loved it. It is a lovely little camp in an incredible area of the Park. You can then do Crooks Corner quite easily, and you will have time to appreciate the astounding baobab trees.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 am

I agree with all the above comments.

We try to do "the north" once a year and have just completed our 2017 trip. We spent one night at Skukuza (mainly because we were meeting friends for dinner there!), then we spent 3 nights at Letaba, 3 nights at Shingwedzi and 4 nights at Punda Maria.

Punda Maria really deserves at least 3 nights - which gives you 2 days' drivng - one day trip up to the Pafuri/Luvuvhu area and Crooks' Corner and one day to explore the Mahonie Loop near camp - one day we did the Mahonie Loop in opposite directions in the morning and afternoon. Klopperfontein on the way to Pafuri is also a lovely place to just sit and watch what comes by.

I would cut the Lower Sabie nights and maybe cut Letaba. You can leave Letaba early the day you move to Shingwedzi and do some of the dirt roads. Shingwedzi I would leave at 3 nights.

You will love the north - beautiful trees, different birds and some interesting animals.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

coxell

Unread post by coxell » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Many thanks Elsa, Meandering Mouse, Karin and Hippotragus, for all your replies.
Following your advice offered all of which was most helpful my new booking is now as follows:-
Punda Maria 2 nights ST2
Shingwedzi 2 nights BG2
Letaba 2 nights CTT4U
Balule 1 night EH3
Lower Sabie 5 nights EH4
I kept Lower Sabie for the 5 nights as we have previously stayed in the EH4's in April also for 5 nights
Thanks again, its so good to get other peoples input into planning a special Kruger Trip

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”