Olifants Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Foxy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Re: Olifants Rest Camp

Unread post by Foxy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:43 pm

GM - somewhere on a social media page I read about this - the person phoned Olifants and apparently there 2 new chalets close to the gate.

jameshardy

Unread post by jameshardy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Trying to locate pictures of cabin G4A.

I can't even find it on the map, can anyone help me out here with images or the position in the camp.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Warm welcome to the forum James! :clap:

As this is a new addition to the accommodation I don't think there are any pics of it yet, but I'm sure in time there will be or if anyone stays there and kindly posts some!

But a nice description GA4
Kruger - 22nd May to 8th June 2017 8)

jameshardy

Unread post by jameshardy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, have only been to Kruger once before and had a blast, bringing some new mates across from Australia next month for the first time and love Olifants so much last time we want to book 3 nights, would like some advice from others on here.

Are we silly just staying in the one camp or should I do 2 nights in Olifants and one some other camp.

We are booking ending are stay with a couple of nights at Sabi Sabi prior and a 3 nights after Kruger at Hamiltons Tented camp.

Just want to show our mates the very best that Kruger and SA has to offer.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 pm

James, I would say 2 nights in Olifants and another 1 night somewhere is most probably a good idea and depending on what you want to see of course depends on which camp you choose.
Staying at Hamiltons camp after Olifants which is more or less central you could either go north or down south.
Having already stayed in one of the private exclusive camps you will no doubt have seen the big 5, so my feeling would be to go north and see the lovely really scenic part of the park, the Baobabs, the rarer antelope etc but with just one night available your time is pretty limited as to how far north you can go.
so maybe Shingwedzi would be an option, which would still give you enough time to make your way back down to your last camp.

chas

Unread post by chas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:44 am

HI James

My opinion will be to stay all 3 nights at Olifants. You will rest more at 1 camp than packing up then unpacking again for 1 night. Also you can only book in after 14h00 so you will have to drive around until then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by carolv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi James

I would also keep to the 3 nights at Olifants. You then have everything in one place and do not need to worry about checking out/in times. Also, it would give you a chance to do one day taking the tar towards Satara, across the S100 (aka Lion alley) and back up the gravel past Balule to Olifants, the second day up to Letaba and down for a spell at Sable hide near Phala Gate; lastly the third day would be one we did whilst at Olifants in March, driving north on the tar as far as Red Rocks and then back south taking in some of the gravel roads east of Mopani. It was a long day but one of our most amazing and productive ever.

Whatever you decide to do, have a truly wonderful time - it will be such a joy to share the Park with your friends.
My Trip Report for Dec 2015 and Jan 2016:
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=91702

jameshardy

Unread post by jameshardy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks so much everyone.

I was tossing up about booking Talamati Bushveld Camp for one night, however your advice about not packing and unpacking makes sense.

We were there about 7/8 years ago and purchased steak from one of the general stores and to this day it was positively the worst toughest steak we have ever had.

I realise that can happen anywhere but want to avoid a repeat.

1/ I see there is a new food operator in the camp with mixed reviews, does any one have a copy of the menu or can advise the type of food available?

2/ And where would be the best place to buy provisions if we are coming from the Sabi Sands area?

3/ Also last time we were there they offered a mountain bike ride and a trip to visit hippos in the near by river.

I can't see those activities online, are they no longer offered or might they appear closer to the day?

I understand there were welcome rains earlier this year, what are conditions currently like, and how they are impacting game viewing?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:17 am

jameshardy wrote:I was tossing up about booking Talamati Bushveld Camp for one night, however your advice about not packing and unpacking makes sense.
We were there about 7/8 years ago and purchased steak from one of the general stores and to this day it was positively the worst toughest steak we have ever had.Not sure which store you are meaning but for 1 night I would rely on the camp shops for provisions, they seem to be much better stocked than in previous years and I have found the quality of meat to be good.

I realise that can happen anywhere but want to avoid a repeat.

1/ I see there is a new food operator in the camp with mixed reviews, does any one have a copy of the menu or can advise the type of food available? There seems to be mixed reviews coming out, some saying the limited menu is fine, others complaining of slow service and unfriendly staff, so really a 50/50 but I do believe there is temporary "Boskombuis" Bush kitchen type eatery on the viewing deck as well until the restaurant issue is resolved.

2/ And where would be the best place to buy provisions if we are coming from the Sabi Sands area?
Not too sure, but as I said above, if only for 1 night then go with the shopsin the camps.

3/ Also last time we were there they offered a mountain bike ride and a trip to visit hippos in the near by river.
I can't see those activities online, are they no longer offered or might they appear closer to the day?
Mountain Bile Trails fromOlifants camp and from the website Mountain Bike Trails
Olifants River (Day Walk)

I understand there were welcome rains earlier this year, what are conditions currently like, and how they are impacting game viewing?
There have been good rains and the grass is very long but by May it should be starting to die down somewhat.

jameshardy

Unread post by jameshardy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”