Skip to Content

Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:43 am

Only a freezer (which as you say, is more than likely going to be a fridge in Dec :lol: )

Tip - mark your items and perhaps close them in a bag when you put them into the freezer .... saves getting muddled which water belongs to whom etc.
Sawubona
Dalene

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:45 am

Thanx DinkyBird - will definitely do as advised...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by leervis » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:06 am

They are described as freezers, but in the camping area, with 15 campsites they carry heavy traffic and so might freeze stuff overnight. The hut area should be better with only 5 huts.
13 January Letaba
14 - 16 January Balule
17 January Tsendze
18 - 20 January Punda Maria

18 - 23 May '17 Balule

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanx for the info leervis. For myself, it's more a question of keeping meat frozen for 2/3 nights rather than freezing anything.

Sounds like the freezer can do exactly that. Don't think I'll be bringing with any lettuce and other green goods on this trip though, I'm sure they won't survive....

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:12 am

Horrace wrote:Thanx for the info leervis. For myself, it's more a question of keeping meat frozen for 2/3 nights rather than freezing anything.

Sounds like the freezer can do exactly that. Don't think I'll be bringing with any lettuce and other green goods on this trip though, I'm sure they won't survive....

Horrace, I have noticed a great improvement in the camp shops. I am planning to do daily shopping at Olifants.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:49 am

leervis wrote:They are described as freezers, but in the camping area, with 15 campsites they carry heavy traffic and so might freeze stuff overnight. The hut area should be better with only 5 huts.

The hut area does have decent freezer space, but sometimes even that gets rather cramped. And because of the depth of the containers, occasionally you find your stuff piled over with other people's goods. This isn't usually a problem as long as your stuff is already frozen or hard enough not to be squashed, and as DB says is clearly marked or identifiable. We have found the freezers to be good quality, so things freeze pretty quickly, even if fairly choc-a-blok.

Though most campers (or hut-roughers in our case) are usually pretty hands-on and filled with common sense and respect for others' things, you always can get the bad apple. Last time someone let at least half a litre of meat blood run all over one of the freezer bottoms and didn't bother to clean it up. And, though we're talking about Balule here, when we stayed at Tsendze last time we were shocked that, for the first time ever in a camping area, someone had the gall to steal two packs of our boerewors, despite said meat being clearly marked and well-sealed! :evil: However, happily, such people are certainly the exception rather than the rule.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:53 am

Thanx MeanderingMouse and onewithnature. We'll freeze only what's necessary and use Olifants for daily goods. With the predicted heat, I'm sure that will include liters and liters of water bought cold at Olifants and hopefully frozen at Balule.

If I may ask, having never stayed in the huts, how hot do they get given that there are no windows only top ventilation? Are they hotter or cooler than the safari tents I normally stay in at LS or Skukuza?

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”