Skip to Content

Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread postby kallis1786 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Wow DB, I guess me and you are pretty similar, although my cat luck was fab until the end of last year than I don't know what happened, it's like I just hit a wall :wall:

Wow, Tessa, seems like you know the area inside out, Thanks so much for the information. In fact you keep them there for me as I'll only be there on the 25th of December, Christmas Day, so you can let me know on where you saw the kitties and hopefully they'll come and say Merry Christmas to me in little Christmas Hats. Am hoping for a Christmas Miracle :whistle: :mrgreen: :redface:

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:32 am

Nice info, thank you, Tessa. :thumbs_up:

Kallis, things in the Park, like in all of Nature, follow cycles. You will probably be unable to understand why, but sometimes there are a spate of sightings, and other times a dearth. As an example, the first fifteen trips to Kruger, I saw sixteen sightings of cheetah and couldn't understand when someone else - who claimed she had been coming to Kruger for twenty years - said she had NEVER seen a cheetah there. :think: However, after that I struggled for years to find those cats, even though I believed I maximised my chances. Then, suddenly, six sightings in one trip, followed by four the next, and then back to one. The bottom line is that patience is the secret to enjoying the bush and it doesn't help to stress about it - sooner or later your luck will sail in. :D
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

SerenitySeeker

Where to check in for Balule?

Unread postby SerenitySeeker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello.

I searched for this, so apologies if I missed it. We're entering at Phalaborwa Gate for camping at Balule. I'm a little concerned about time, so will it be quicker to check in at Letaba or Olifants?

I understand the bridge near Balule is open now: is that correct? What will be the quickest route from Letaba or Olifants to Balule?

Many thanks!

MATTHYS

Re: Where to check in for Balule?

Unread postby MATTHYS » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums, SerenitySeeker.

Please read the Balule Satellite Camp topic for information.
Wishing you a wonderful visit :D
aquila non capit muscas

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Hello there
Go to Letaba and then to Olifants to book in then take the gravel road and go over the new bridge to Balule Have a great time
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi SerenitySeeker - you can only check in at Olifants, or Satara. Satara, obviously will not be an option for you, so you need to go to Olifants. The bridge is open (and hopefully will not flood between now and your visit); so you need to skip Letaba camp, and head to Olifants on the tar road, check in and then to Balule taking the turn left coming from camp onto the S92. It is about 10km from Olifants to Balule. How late do you expect to get to Phalaborwa gate?

SerenitySeeker

Unread postby SerenitySeeker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Many thanks for the specific replies: I browsed the last 3 pages of the Balule thread, and didn't find answers (yet).

The visitor info I received with my reservation says we can check in for Balule "at any of the major camps (preferably Satara or Olifants Camp)", so it seems Letaba would work, too? :hmz:

I'm hoping to arrive at Phalaborwa Gate between 2 and 3 pm. We're coming from the West Rand (Krugersdorp area), with two 6-year-olds. The minimum travel time info (also received with reservation) says 2 hours to Balule from the Gate, and the camp closes at 18h30, so it seems I'm okay on timing? :hmz:

Many thanks for your advice and assistance! :)

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 pm

I also have a reservation for Balule and it says either Olifants or Satara, so things must have changed since I booked. Nothing to loose if you stop at Letaba as it is only 1km off the beaten track, and with 2 6yr olds, you will want a stop I am sure.

I would allow for 3-4 hours travel time, especially if you are going to do animal spotting.

If you check in at Letaba, then do not go via Olifants turn off, but turn left onto the S91 for Balule.

SerenitySeeker

Unread postby SerenitySeeker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks, Dalene! My reservation info is dated 28 September.

Given the choice, which would be quicker: check-in at Letaba or Olifants, and then on to Balule?

Kind regards,
Russell

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Definitely Letaba - when you get to the cross roads, about 50km on the tar from the gate, you have 1km to the camp (and then back). Olifants is 8km from the turn off on the tar road to the camp and add to that 10km to Balule, which is only an extra 9km to Balule via the S91 - a difference of 9km, which is actually a fair bit at the speeds you have to drive.

SerenitySeeker

Unread postby SerenitySeeker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Perfect! Thanks so much!! :thumbs_up:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Have a wonderful time in the Park!

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi SS

I also did some research on Balule. I booked my accommodation last week and it says I can check in at Satara or Olifants, but I went on the Balue Camp Page on this website, and it says check in can be done at Letaba, Olifants, Orpen or Satara

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/balule/tourism/accommodation.php But I personally feel its better if you check in at Olifants just to avoid disappointment, and just to make sure you are more on track of time, I personally feel Olifants would be better, because by being at Olifants, you know your camp is only 10kms away, so you have more of an idea on how long you have got with sightings.

but that is just my opinion. At the end is upto you. Enjoy :D :dance: :dance: :dance:

If you see cats, please keep them there for me :pray: :pray: :pray:

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:26 am

I have always used Olifant's to check in for Balule. It works very well and the staff at Olifant's are great. If you only get to Phalaborwa at 3pm, you will be fine to get to Olifant's - Balule in time, I estimate 2 - 3 hours max, but don't stop too long at the leopards - lions etc. on the way. A portable fan, at that time of the year is a really good idea. We use one that can be recharged in the car as we do our day drives. Balule is my favourite camp by far. It has a great location as you can drive North - West or South East. Titus, the camp manager is super-good at his job, he has been at Balule for more than 25 years! We have seen Leopard, Lion, Cheetah and Wild Dogs in the area and most nights the Hyenas patrol the fence hoping for scraps. I am not sure if you will be in the rondavels or camping, but either way you are sure to have a great time.
10 -13 May Berg en Dal Camping
14 May Lower Sabie Chalet
15 - 18 Pretoriuskop Camping
19 May Satara Chalet
20 - 24 May Balule Camping

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:48 am

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question. I don't know if it has been asked. Are we as guest at Balule allowed to use the pool at Olifants, or is it strictly for Olifant residents.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”