Skip to Content

Letaba Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Letaba Rest Camp

Unread post by DotDan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 am

64 is the best. Stayed in it last year....Let me see if I have a pic for you :hmz:

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 am

Here you go

As you can see the Guest house is to the left and completely out of the way.

This is the view from Unit 64

alf

Unread post by alf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:44 am

Yes no 29 isn't that bad but it's behind no 30 and your view is limited. If you look at block d i would suggest no 62-64. They are closer to the river and got a nice view. The only bad thing about them is that a walking path goes past them down to the fence and if the camp is busy then you will have a lot of people walking past your bungalow.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Letaba bush braai

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Anyone done a bush braai? Anyone done it from Letaba. It is quite pricey (for locals). What do you get for your money? Help please.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Letaba bush braai

Unread post by ndloti » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 pm

I went on one in 1999 , if I remember correctly there was a good spread of braaied items as well as a salad or 2 , the location was excellent , it included a short game drive in a Sanparks open safari vehicle to and from the location at the then largest recorded leadwood tree on the northern bank of the Letaba river .
To me it was well worth the money to participate , although it felt a bit short , but I desperately wanted to escape the growing Letaba population in early December after having walked on 5 successive wilderness trails and 4 days at Balule .
(who sent me another horn?)
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

maddie2312

Re: Letaba bush braai

Unread post by maddie2312 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi BB,

We did a bush braii at Letaba last May. There was my SO and one other couple from Jersey who went. Short sunset drive and food same as above. Salad/soup as starter and pudding.They had a bar (table) where you could buy pre/during and after dinner drinks (beer,wine liquors) and just pay at the end. Nice spot in a wooded clearing. Fire/food all ready for us when we arrived. Good experience especially if you are bringing first time guests. Had tried to book at reception and were told not doing it anymore. When we got speaking to restaurant manager who asked if we were enjoing our stay, we mentioned our disappointment about not getting the braii and he said it was no problem for the next night! So be persistant if you have to. (sure that won't be a problem BB :whistle: )

Enjoy!
Desperate for my next Kruger fix!!!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:49 pm

We stayed in Chalet # 29 which is a 3 sleeper and is perfectedly positioned, with a great view of the river, in fact we got to see Hlanganini from the fence in front of our unit. :D
Only problem is that its a bit well worn now and definitely could do with a bit of maintenance. :?

mikath

Letaba

Unread post by mikath » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 pm

I have booked a Bungalow at Letaba BG3U and looking at the photo's it doesn't look as there is any outside space to sit in. Does anybody know if this is the case
Thanks

HelenJ

Re: Letaba

Unread post by HelenJ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:51 pm

It looks as though it has an "enclosed" verandah, with mesh screens to keep out insects (and monkeys?) and let the air in.
We've booked something similar-looking at Skukuza. Hope it's not too stuffy :pray:
KNP August 2009

20th Skukuza
21st Oliphants
22nd Satara
23rd Skukuza

Not long now! Hope it's as good as Sept 05

JulianP

Re: Letaba

Unread post by JulianP » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:36 pm

We had 2 rondavels last year at Letaba. There is an inner meshed area with the kitchen area outside of the bedroom/bathroom area.
Outside the door in a smallish concreted area to sit by the braai or acres of grass depending upon the mossies. We were lucky to be there just before the rains broke.

Julian
Letaba 2 & 3 Nov 09, Oliphants 4 Nov

Looking forward to seeing some yellow ribbons this year

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:03 pm

McShawu wrote:Hi Elsa,
Thanks, I will do. Can you recommend ant BG2?

Hi McShawu, unfortunately I can't really say with any great certainty what those are like as we stayed in a BD3, # 29, which on the map is in the top left hand corner.
It had a kitchen/bathroom and is a 3 sleeper.
Altho the chalet itself was a little "tired" the view was great from there.

But, if your chalet itself doesn't have a good view, one can easily take a walk to the benches in front of the restaurant and sit there for a while.

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 am

Hi
Letaba camp has such a big variety of accommodation types! Although the units that show a perimeter should have a view, you will notice that they are built in a half moon. This means that there are no units infront of you, but you are quite far from the fence.

The BG2 units have no view, so it is built in a circle where you have other units 'in front' of you - and no kitchenette.
The BG3U units are in the circles that have no units infornt of you, but some of them have the outside kitchen area inclosed with the mesh - others have open stoeps.
If you want the 'better' BG3U units, request to be in circle D.

I personally (if the budget allows it) prefer the Guest Cottages FQ6. They have a great view, big braai area and you have much more privacy and space.

norms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by norms » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Jo,

The 4 bed Safari tents are in front of and slightly to the right of the 2 bed Tents. They are close to the camping site.
If you want something you never had, do something you have never done.

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue May 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Jo,

I was there last week and I especially went to look at them.

They are new, modern and I will stay in them next time.

About a week before you go, contact David at the camp and ask for any of nos 4 - 8, they are the ones on the fence. :thumbs_up:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Boorgatspook » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:53 am

Hi naomi c,
As alf said the site without power is on the right hand side when turning into the camping area (past the swimming pool) These campsites have the code CK6.... Have a look here on the Letaba map. It will give you a good idea...

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”