Camping in Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
WendyA
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping without a power point

Unread post by WendyA » Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Sander!

Some of the smaller camps have freezers but this is not guaranteed like the hot plates and boiling water at all the sites Nevertheless, all the shops in the park sell bags of ice and there are also ice machines around now (though they are not always working) which are actually better value for money then the ice you buy in the shops. I don't think you have to worry about your food going off. How long will you be in Kruger and where will you be staying? You could always buy enough food just before coming in to the park to last you till you are without power (and perhaps use meat that you'd frozen when you are camping without power so it should still be fresh). You can buy meat, veg, etc, in the Parks shops but, as you said, it is a little more expensive than outside. Depending on where you are staying after camping without power, you could always pop out of the park and stock up again???

Enjoy!
27 Feb-02 March - Satara (camping with Sparrow)!
02-06 March - Skukuza Cricket (camping with Sparrow and lots more mites!) WOO HOO! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Herman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping without a power point

Unread post by Herman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Well, campers are a special breed. If you're really stuck, just ask your neighbours (with access to power points)- I'm sure they'll find space in their fridges for some of your stuff ! Even in camps with no power, like Marula, your neighbours might just be well equipped locals with battery/solar operated Engel fridges - don't be afraid to ask !

Guzz

Re: Camping in Kruger

Unread post by Guzz » Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 am

When you arrive at the camp, ask the reception for a powered site. 9/10 times they'll have space available, as changes in reservations are made up to the same day, and often there are no-shows...

If however there is none available, I'm sure your freezer will keep all the necessary goods frozen over night. Then, when you leave the next morning it will power up again when the engine starts. Other than that, I'm sure you'll be fine with a torch and a headlamp. Maybe have an early night.. :)

*G

Leon van Heerden

Caravan camping sites in Lower Sabie

Unread post by Leon van Heerden » Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 am

Does anybody have photographs of the caravan stands at Lower Sabie. I believe that the stands are not very big and one finds it difficult with a big caravan and tent. Is this true? Is the stands on a first come first serve bases or do you get a prelocated stand?

MATTHYS

Re: Caravan camping sites in Lower Sabie

Unread post by MATTHYS » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am

roaneric wrote:Lower Sabie, Camping

aquila non capit muscas

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Wed May 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Try and get there around 9 or 10am, by then most who are leaving that day would have packed and left, giving you a bit more of an option.
Enjoy, the night sounds are awesome.

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Thu May 30, 2013 4:17 pm

I have always checked in early for camping without any issues. :thumbs_up: If they gave me issues I would park trailer on site and check in later.

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi Stark
While check in time is officially 14H00, when camping they generally allow you to check in anytime because there is not much in the way of cleaning to be done unlike a unit which needs to be cleaned/beds made etc. The reason I mentioned 9 - 10am is because one has until 10am to vacate a campsite on the day of departure but generally most leave a lot earlier.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm

With camping (not at Tsendze) it is first come, first serve basis on selection of camp sites and this allows too for easy early occupation of a site as opposed to bungalows etc. Once a site is vacated by a guest, it is ready for the next person. We have had folk wait for us to do the last of our pack up so they could take our site.

On the trip we have just completed, we moved 9 times between camps, and there was never a problem with the time we booked in. (in fact, never experienced a problem before either, nor in any SANPark) I did notice some campers leave late in the day - but very few, most leave very early, and I am sure most do this to try and get a good site at the next camp. While we were on this recent trip, the park was pretty fully booked. Even arriving fairly 'late' in the day at Satara, with the camp fully booked, we managed to find ourselves a really nice site. However, sites next to the fences in any camp are always the most sought after, and these are snapped up early in the day.

We also noticed people arriving from the park gates really early to set up camp - also to secure a good site I would imagine.
Sawubona
Dalene

Imvubu
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Number of days in one Camping site

Unread post by Imvubu » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Chungu, we have been camping for 13 years in a tent and trailer tent. We find 3 nights to be fine but then again we have refined our equipment and technique :wink: Not too sure how much stuff you have so it depends on that too. Enjoy!
Awaiting the next trip...

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:05 pm

3 nights sounds fine to me.. Just have some sort of plan and everyone must have something they do .everything must have a place ( the sameone) when packing We did KNP plus other parks over a two month period and If you get into the routine its easy peasy .It was just the two of us and we are Old folk ( one thing is No toilet break until everything is unpacked !!!Its amazing how fast you move then )
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:23 pm

As the others say, it all depends on how much you drag around with you. We have various degrees of setting up camp. Minimum for one or two or three nights, and max for four or more. We only set up the awning on the van for eg, if we stay four nights or longer.

Even if you stay for a long time in a camp, keep what you take with to a minimum - I speak from experience! :lol:
Sawubona
Dalene

marindadrake

Unread post by marindadrake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:29 pm

We camp every six weeks for at least 5 nights in Kruger, and 2 weeks end November - beginning December. We only go to one camp each time, which make unpacking and packing up easier. We camp in a caravan - sometimes with the full tent and sometimes with the awning and a side. Depends on the weather and time of the year, and how private the site is we stay at. We take 2 hours to unpack and to pack up again. We don't camp - we glamp! That is with the sattelite dish, tv, freezer, ice maker, everything to make life comfortable.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 am

chungu,3 days camping in one camp then moving to another camp sounds o.k to me BUT it depends on how organized you are and also depends on how much "stuff" you have and also how many people are helping. We are a family of 3,we each have a job when arriving at a campsite, mine involves a lot of talking and supervising while my hubby and daughter do all the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:26 am

Depends on your gear and how much of it you have.
SO and I have some very quick-set-up stuff, like pop-up tent, self-inflating (hiking) mattresses etc
that we use on short trips. We haven't done it for a while but we used to camp for 2 nights/a weekend quite frequently in the past.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Return to “Kruger National Park”