Skip to Content

Questions & Comments about the cams

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:22 am

Mgoddard wrote:I really liked all the different angles of the cam this am...Think its Danie...anyway, thanks a lot..really enjoyed it..

:D

I usually do not try and change too much on the cam during the day (because of bandwidth restrictions to Satara and we do need the data line to run Satara camp's e-mail, reservations, admin, etc.) but I could not resist to zoom in a bit on the Buff in the shade when I checked the connectivity to the webcam! I am glad you enjoyed it!
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Sharen McLean

How do I

Unread post by Sharen McLean » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi,

Ok so I am so keen on watching the webcam I posted my first message on Chit Chat instead of here. (oops) Please can you tell me why my watching seems to have got stuck on 17:16.09 I keep refreshing but the same picture comes back. I was so enjoying my "sundowner" at the water hole.
I want to be in the Kruger Park!!!!!!!!

Richardt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Richardt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi Sharen McLean welcome
:lol: Lots of rain :shock: :D The cam is on :shock:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Sharen - don't worry, you will soon find your way around here and where the best place to post is :D I just check the cam - the time is ticking over. Try f5 and see if that clears/refreshes it for you.
Sawubona
Dalene

kaggie

Wide Angle views

Unread post by kaggie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:52 am

How come that some times when you activate the cam you get a wide angle or it' s on something different

Danie
Guru
Guru

Re: Wide Angle views

Unread post by Danie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:52 pm

kaggie wrote:How come that some times when you activate the cam you get a wide angle or it' s on something different

Hi Kaggie, the webcam installed at the waterhole at Satara is a pan/tilt/zoom camera which can be controlled remotely. We sometimes zoom out or change the angle a bit on the cam remotely. We don't do it often because of limited bandwidth to the site which is also used for SANParks normal day-to-day business at Satara Camp itself.

The default position of the cam is the far end of the waterhole zoomed in a bit. When there is something interesting in view and I happen to be checking the cam at that specific moment, I sometimes can't resist to get a 'better' view, despite the slooooowww response we get from the webcam because of the bandwidth limitation.

Happy camming!
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

kellyacooper2003

satara cam

Unread post by kellyacooper2003 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi all, is there any way i can zoom in on the cam? ive seen some great sightings so far, all new to this so just learning new things. All help n tips will be greatly appreciated.

gwendolen
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gwendolen » Thu May 03, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi Kelly,

We can't zoom in. Only Danie (Kruger) in Pretoria can control the cam.

Have a look at this thread too: Questions & Comments about the cams

tigger83

Cam Refresh

Unread post by tigger83 » Fri May 04, 2007 9:45 am

Hi this may seem a little silly but i am really struggling with the Cam, does it update every 30 seconds automatically because mine doesn't and i have to physically click refresh every 30 seconds, and i really miss the good stuff like the hyena last night for instance i was glued to the screen and the picture keeps updating, but the time at the bottom stays the same and only when i click refresh does it change.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanx

Skillie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Skillie » Fri May 04, 2007 9:51 am

Hi tigger83,

Yes the picture will update automatically every thirty seconds but the time will only change when you hit the refresh button. This is normal. It is also useful to tell if the cam is down or stuck as, if when you hit refresh the time doesn't change, then there is a problem and we can let admin know.

Nice highlight of a lovely big Skillie!! :wink: :wink:
Member Stiffnecks
Member LIT club

kellyacooper2003

SOUND

Unread post by kellyacooper2003 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi all,

I would just like to thank you for this absolutely amazing webcam. Im hooked!

I visited KNP about 6 years ago and it still looks as amazing now as it did then. I miss the park n this webcam gives me the chance to re-live my holiday of a lifetime, so thank you again!

1 question that im sure you get a thousand times is : is there any way of getting the actual sounds of the park on the cam too?

Thanks again,

Kelly xx

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue May 08, 2007 9:33 am

I wish.... But that would take up too much bandwidth, which is not too wide anyway. And in the case of Satara you may actually hear some of the noise from the restaurant, depending on the wind. Not what you'd like.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Erik

webcam times

Unread post by Erik » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:04 pm

The website says that all times are GMT + 2 hrs = SAST but the webcam clocks show GMT as SAST?????
Erik

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:29 pm

Erik, welcome to the forums!

Answer number 1, the cam can be zoomed by remote, and SANParks has done so for while so the visually impaired can also make out which animals are visiting. But the view may be changed again soon.

Answer number 2: I guess you are looking at the Satara webcam. It looks like the lines are down again, so the last update was 2 hours ago. Which shows in the clock, but by chance it's also your time GMT which is showing. :wink:
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

silvia

Cam spots

Unread post by silvia » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi. I'm Silvia from Italy. These are some pic taken from different Kruger web cam:

:D

Return to “Webcams”