Skip to Content

Is the Cam Down?

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
gamelover

Webcams not working

Unread post by gamelover » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:32 am

As someone who is not able to visit the parks too often anymore the webcams are my daily fix, so please, please can you get the Orpen camera up and running again! it's been many weeks and now Nossob is down as well. have mercy on those of us who have to game view from afar!
Thank you,

ritad
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year - Binocular Award (2016)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2015)

Re: Webcams not working

Unread post by ritad » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am

Thank you gamelover, you write this words what i have think so long. :k :gflower: :k
2015 TR KRUGERFEVER? - YES WE HAVE

Bookings 2017
- Tamboti 23-26.09 - LST3
- Letaba 26-29.09 - BD2U
- Balule 29-30.09 - EH3
- Satara 30-02.10 - BD2V
- Skukuza 02-05.10 - LR2W
- Crocodile Bridge 05-07.10 - BD3
- Biyamiti 07-09.10 - NCO2+2V

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:35 am

You will find more information here gamelover:

Is the Cam Down?.
"There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity". - Samuel Johnson.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:46 am

Dear gamelover and ritad,

Just to give some feedback on the Nossob webcam as well.

I have just received an update from the Tourism Manager, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park that they are busy rectifying the problems encountered at Nossob :thumbs_up: .

I also wish to inform you that this topic will be merged with the existing " Is the Cam Down?" topic in due time to ensure that all the information is available in one topic.
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 1-6 March 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

Elsa

Re: Is the Cam Down?

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:35 am

Cammers, please understand we don't like seeing the webcams out of action any more than you do but we just have to accept these cameras are in the middle of the African bush and there will always be logistical and other challenges.
Hilda's link takes you to the explanation from Danie re the Orpen cam and as Barry has indicated they are busy trying to repair whatever went wrong with the Nossob cam and we hope to have that one up and running asap. :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

gamelover

Unread post by gamelover » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks for the explanation - I am looking forward to the new and better cam viewing - thank you for going through the loops to get it for us!

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:51 am

It is 9.49 am and I see now that we have also lost Addo Cam? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 am

These are photo shots taken once every 15 seconds. It may happen that the update is disrupted due to power failure (hey, this camera is in the African wilderness after all), or bad weather conditions....We can all read what is clearly stated on the webcam page.I think the cammers have shown infinite patience regarding the Orpen Cam but truly this festive season was a real doozy with only 2 cams available for viewing.

Yipee Addo seems to be functional again.

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:30 am

Some feedback on Orpen and Nossob Webcams:
  • Nossob
    • Nossob webcam stopped responding to remote intervention on 25 Dec 2016 and even physical checks and intervention could not fix the issue on site
    • The Nossob cam has been removed yesterday from the hide at Nossob Rest Camp and it is on its way to Twee Rivieren from where it will be sent to Gauteng for tests and to get it fixed
  • Orpen
    • Refer to my post here around the procurement process of a new webcam for Orpen
In general, smaller issues on webcams can be fixed remotely by changing settings and sometimes a reboot of the equipment. The moment it needs physical attention where it involves physical maintenance of the webcam itself, a technician must be sent to the webcam site which is very costly. For example a trip to Nossob and back involves about 2400km in travel alone plus travel time and labour. In Orpen's case and Nossob's case, the webcams were removed and were sent to the technicians back in Johannesburg/Midrand. We don't know yet what the fault is on the Nossob webcam. That will be determined as soon as the webcam arrives in Johannesburg/Midrand from Kgalagadi.

We have to comply to certain rules and regulations and have to follow a specific process during the procurement of equipment (as explained in my previous post around Orpen Webcam here).

I'll keep you updated on the progress.
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:39 am

Thank you Danie :thumbs_up:
Danie wrote:I'll keep you updated on the progress.

That is all we ask, is to receive regular feedback on the progress! :hmz:
The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author unknown

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am

Trrpie,you are much more optimistic than I feel.
Danie has not given any feedback on the progress of the procurement process for the Orpen Cam....these people must surely realize the importance of the webcams functionality particularly for our overseas members.

As fas as Nossob is concerned....here we go again,probably another 3 months before we see that working again :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

All the logistics,situations and possible scenarios etc. must have been a consideration at the inception of the webcams so one would believe that there should be a fall back plan or Plan B in case of this type of occurrence :hmz: :doh: :hmz: :hmz: :doh: :hmz: :doh: :hmz: :doh:

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Mischief wrote:Trrpie,you are much more optimistic than I feel.
Danie has not given any feedback on the progress of the procurement process for the Orpen Cam....these people must surely realize the importance of the webcams functionality particularly for our overseas members.

As fas as Nossob is concerned....here we go again,probably another 3 months before we see that working again :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

All the logistics,situations and possible scenarios etc. must have been a consideration at the inception of the webcams so one would believe that there should be a fall back plan or Plan B in case of this type of occurrence :hmz: :doh: :hmz: :hmz: :doh: :hmz: :doh: :hmz: :doh:

Hi Michief,

I beg to differ from you on the fact that no feedback was given on the Orpen webcam. See my feedback given here on 12 December 2016.

If the webcam team paid attention to all the scenarios, situations, etc at the inception of the webcam-idea like you mentioned, the webcams would never have existed at all today as financially on paper it did not make sense at all and it still does not. Bear in mind that the webcam itself is only a fraction of the cost of the process to get the images to our virtual visitors worldwide! But despite all the possible negative things that can happen in the bush far from a civilized support environment and with the excellent assistance of our donors, we still went ahead and installed the webcams over a few years to make sure that our virtual viewers can have a small window on our beautiful parks and nature which we are so passionate about!

SANParks webcams are driven by passion and love for nature and not by financials. That is the reason why the webcam service is provided completely free of charge to all our virtual viewers; without any subscription fees or advertisements on the webcam page or images, etc. The webcams are very close to our hearts and via these webcams a small portion of the beauty and tranquility of our wonderful parks is being shared to our virtual visitors!

I will send you an email to the email address as per your user profile providing you with my contact details. Please feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss this further or have any more questions.

I really hope that both Nosson and Orpen webcams will be online very soon so that we can all smile again and have 4 webcams to monitor and not only 2!
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks very much for the heads up and explanation Danie!
I think there will always be issues and situations that have now cropped up that cannot have been anticipated in inception and they just have to be dealt with as best as they can.
As I said before, I'm sure the team are just as upset as the cammers are at the loss of 2 cams but that is the reality and something we have to accept.
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

ritad
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year - Binocular Award (2016)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by ritad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Thank you so much for this information Danie :k You all have right we miss this cams so much and can't wait to see it again.
Let's cross the fingers we must not wait so long and the process is going fast. :dance: :dance: :dance:
2015 TR KRUGERFEVER? - YES WE HAVE

Bookings 2017
- Tamboti 23-26.09 - LST3
- Letaba 26-29.09 - BD2U
- Balule 29-30.09 - EH3
- Satara 30-02.10 - BD2V
- Skukuza 02-05.10 - LR2W
- Crocodile Bridge 05-07.10 - BD3
- Biyamiti 07-09.10 - NCO2+2V

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Dear Danie,

Thank you again for yet another explanation.As they say in the classics "Let's agree to disagree" :lol: :lol:

Best wishes to you and the IT Team for a very Happy and Cam Problem Free Year. :gflower:

God Bless

Return to “Webcams”