Is the Cam Down?

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
Danie
Guru
Guru

Re: Is the Cam Down?

Unread post by Danie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:36 pm

News on Orpen Webcam:
We are very fortunate to have such loyal and caring cammers missing the Orpen webcam!

We at SANParks miss the Orpen webcam a lot as well! Orpen webcam had a severe malfunction and it could not be resolved remotely as said before. The webcam was removed from the water hole at Orpen in October 2016 and sent in for repairs. During the evaluation/repair it was found that the webcam was not economical to repair and we have decided that it must be replaced with a new one.

We don't merely want to replace the Orpen Webcam with the exact same model. Technology has also moved on and the newer cameras in the PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom)-range have lots of added features and better picture quality (higher definition images) which we are looking for to make it better for you or virtual visitors/cammers! :D The specification sheet for the webcam requires a lot and it is not "just another camera pointing at a waterhole". The camera should withstand very high temperatures in summer as well as temperatures below freezing point in winter, fluctuations in power, power failures, programming, "talking" to our website, it must be weatherproof, etc. Some changes might also be needed on our website processes (by our webteam) to ensure the website "understands" the webcam and vice versa.

As financial matters in SANParks are ultimately governed by National Treasury, we have to comply with all the supply chain rules, policies and procedures when procuring equipment/services to ensure good governance. This unfortunately adds some time to the process to ensure we comply with those (we don't want any negative findings on our audit reports!). This prevents us from going to the closest CCTV shop and just buy another camera.

The procurement process is underway as per policy. At this stage it looks like the Orpen webcam will unfortunately not be live by the start of the festive season but will only be live in January 2017 if all goes well :cry:

The wait will be worth the while! Patience and the other 3 webcams are the answers to survive this period of "missing Orpen Webcam" :D
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Technology has also moved on and the newer cameras in the PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom)-range have lots of added features and better picture quality (higher definition images) which we are looking for to make it better for you or virtual visitors/cammers! :D

WOW :clap: !
Agree that the wait will be worth it :D , thanks for the feedback/update, Danie :gflower:
aquila non capit muscas

ritad
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year - Binocular Award (2016)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by ritad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Hello Danie :k

Thank you for this great information, and i agree also with you and Matthys :k We are happy to see Orpen back again in the new Year!

Rita
2015 Tripreport: KRUGERFEVER? - YES WE HAVE

Bookings 2017
- Tamboti 23-26.09 - LST3
- Letaba 26-29.09 - BD2U
- Balule 29-30.09 - EH3
- Satara 30-02.10 - BD2V
- Skukuza 02-05.10 - LR2W
- Crocodile Bridge 05-07.10 - BD3
- Biyamiti 07-09.10 - NCO2+2V

wildflowergirl
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildflowergirl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you Danie :thumbs_up: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:
You might get me out of the bush, but you won't get the bush out of me, it's deep in my heart

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:55 pm

Thank you for keeping us in the loop, as always, Danie :gflower:
Sawubona
Dalene

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Danie,thank you for the informative feedback, sounds like we have definitely got something to look forward to when Orpen Cam is once again fully operational :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Thanks again Danie and have a Blessed Christmas!
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:05 am

:hmz: It looks as if Nossob has been down since early yesterday afternoon! :|
This is extremely :( news as it is a looooong weekend...The cam addicts may have to wait 4 days for response or longer as Danie and team may be away over the festive season. :hmz:
Let's enjoy the two remaining cams we have in the meantime! 8)
The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author unknown

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Looks like Satara up again but Nossob still down and could be power related.
Kruger - 16th Feb to 6th March 2017

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Also :D to see Satara back ! :gflower: Thank you Elsa for alterting!
The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author unknown

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:21 am

Lovely to have Satara up again....thanks Elsa! Nossob if as hot as here,generators probably been used full throttle to keep everything coolish

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:31 am

Today is a normal working day in all countries where the Cams are situated to the best of my knowledge.Can something please be done about Nossob to get it functional again and the issue of the focus at Satara night and day should be addressed as well pretty please!.

Elsa if you could report them and get some response,this will be greatly appreciated.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:40 pm

I have tried Mischief and would love to help but the person who usually does the logging of reports for us is away till after new year and I'm really not sure who is there to take over in his absence? :hmz:
but lets see if we can raise anyone!

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 am

Elsa,thank you...the important thing here is that you tried.Much appreciated...service on that side bit dicey though.These cams serve an international forum not just us local peeps.

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:41 am

As from tomorrow,all holidays will be a thing of the past and people should all be back at work to tackle challenges that the New Year has to offer.

My main gripe and I will continue to harp on this subject is that the service on the Webcams has been quite pathetic,Opren Cam :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: pleanty of excuses and no real answers.Forumites are asked to support/ donate to the webcams as usual...that is how they came into being anyway from Forum members,but honestly I have seen no good use of the Funds being utilized recently.Even overseas visitors some I Know personally just cannot be bothered with the below standard service of late.My donation this year will definitely be channeled to the K-9 unit where beniefits are being reaped.

For the entire Festive season,we were lucky to have Satara Cam up 50% of the time and even then it was most times totally out of focus.Nossob of course has just been totally non existent.

Elsa thanks for helping where you could but honestly Pretoria IT Department needs a real wake up call.Just get your jobs done!It amazes me that senior management in Groenkloof allow this mediocre work standard...or is there no free publicity for you involved?
Last edited by Mischief on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 am

Mischief, we are continuing to try and raise someone re the Nossob webcam! :wall:

All I can suggest is you send in your complaints to customercare@sanparks.org otherwise they (Pretoria) don't see any posts in here.

Edit** They are aware of the problem and have someone attending to it so lets keep fingers crossed! :pray:

Return to “Webcams”