Skip to Content

Is the Cam Down?

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
Dibles
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Is the Cam Down?

Unread post by Dibles » Tue May 03, 2016 10:43 am

Hi, Satara has been down for quite a while now. Can you please report it?Nossob is also down but they are probably working on it. Thanks.

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Nossob webcam was taken offline because of construction work affecting the webcam and will be online again soon.

Satara webcam is still offline and the issue seems to be a local network issue at Satara and not a communications issue to Satara as Satara Restcamp itself (camp) is online. The network guys are working on that!

Happy camming! :)
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Fri May 06, 2016 5:17 pm

MATTHYS wrote::dance: and thank you, Danie and the network guys :gflower:

It was actually an electrical feed fault to the webcam which was fixed by the electrician at Satara. Enjoy the webcams!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:56 pm

MATTHYS wrote:Thanks for the alert :gflower: , I have reported this, Rita :thumbs_up:

:redface: Thanks for reporting the webcam @ Orpen. I reset the cam this morning at around 8am and it was fine for a while after that it seems. I left the office for a few meetings and found the Orpen Webcam again doing what it likes on my return to the office! :redface:

I rebooted the webcam 2x now and it came up with a great view with ellies and buffs on cam! I'll keep an eye on it for the next few hours... So far it is behaving...

Apologies for the view of Orpen Gate for a while! At least there are elephants and buffs on cam now! :dance:
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Dibles
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dibles » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:13 am

The branches obscuring the Satara cam are being removed. Thank you team! :gflower:
satara (19).jpg

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

I am very :mrgreen:
Submitted by vecopoer67
1.jpg
of these "strange animals" Vecopoer :D
aquila non capit muscas

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:21 pm

A bit of feedback on Nossob webcam (static angle at the moment - no automatic touring)
The camera as per its specs can do the tour and has done so for a long time. When the camera was moved to the new waterhole, the reprogramming of the preset positions was needed (as the angle and "stop points" for the pre-programmed tour changed). For some reason I can't get the programmed positions to save on the camera. It can only be because of two issues:
  • the speed/capacity via the satellite link to Nossob I am using to program the cam is not sufficient OR
  • the camera itself is faulty or needs a reset to default. We don't want to reset it as it might take the camera completely off the network and then no images will be available at all as the reset will also change the IP address (fixed) of the camera and we don't want that :) as it will force a technician to drive all the way to Nossob (and back) from Gauteng (over 2000km in total) which is quite costly :wall:
As soon as a technician needs to visit Nossob for other purposes as well, this will be combined in his trip. The camera might need a bit of surgery and setting/resetting directly via cable plugged into it as remotely it does not want to save the settings. The settings are the preprogrammed positions I program the camera to follow during its tour.

In the meantime, enjoy the 'static' image of the waterhole at Nossob!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Orpen Webcam taken offline

Unfortunately we had to remove the webcam from Orpen to send it in for repairs to fix the issue that the image turned pink and then black and white :cry: . Hopefully the technicians can put the colour back in the webcam! We tried everything around the settings remotely but to no avail.

The Orpen webcam will thus be down/offline for the next week or two as it must be shipped to Gauteng and then repaired (if worthwhile). If the cost to repair is too high, the webcam will be replaced with a new one. It is difficult to put a date to this as it all depends on the fault, repair/replace and installation again.

Thanks for your patience!

Enjoy the other 3 webcams in the meantime! :)

We will all miss the Orpen Webcam while it is having "surgery"!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

garfieldsmom

Unread post by garfieldsmom » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Eish. :shock: .thanks for the update. I am in serious withdrawal! Orpen cam has provided THE most wonderful sightings in the past few weeks...I go in daily for my Kruger "fix" and am now taking serious strain! :? But thanks all for your good work.

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Mischief wrote:Hi Danie,

Do you have a progress report on how the surgery on Orpen Cam is coming along?We sure do miss that Cam :gflower:

Hi Mischief

Sadly no good news so far. The webcam is with the technicians here in Gauteng (I spoke to them earlier today). Still very ill but too early to say as all tests have not been completed yet. I should be able to get more detailed feedback tomorrow. So far it looks like the network portion of the webcam has some injuries as well :cry:

BUT there is some good news as well around the Nossob webcam! See my next message below (and under Cam chit chat)! :)
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Good News: Nossob Webcam :dance:

I could finally program the presets on the web camera for the different angles again via the satellite link to Nossob!

This means.....Automatic TOURING could be activated again on Nossob webcam! I have programmed the following angles/views/presets onto the webcam:
  • Position 1: Wide Angle of the water hole plus view of Nossob rivier and skyline
  • Position 2: Water hole zoomed (whole of waterhole visible)
  • Position 3: Left hand side of water hole (zoomed in)
  • Position 4: Middle portion of water hole (zoomed in)
  • Posiiton 5: Right hand side of water hole (zoomed in)
The automatic tour will move to each position/angle as per the list above and will pause for 30 seconds at each position/angle before moving on to the next position and will start at position 1 again after completing position 5

This means that small and large animals will again be easier to identify during this process! Enjoy! :D
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:Good morning Danie :D
Also noticed the cam sightings times are not in sinc with real time. They are ahead by approximately 3- 4mins.
Trust this will be something you will be able to adjust for us! :pray:

Hi Danie :), great news re the Nossob Cam. :clap: Thank you. :thumbs_up:

Re Trrp=trrrrrrrr's quote above, will they reset the times? Any answer perhaps?
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

garfieldsmom

Unread post by garfieldsmom » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi there...just enquiring about my beloved Orpen Cam again! Is there any update on my poor ill friend? Best regards

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Sorry :k no recent updates, but am crossing my fingers and toes, Garfieldsmom :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

garfieldsmom

Unread post by garfieldsmom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:22 pm

Eeew, Thanks Matthys! My favourite cam at the moment....hope it will be back soon. Saw some wonderful sightings in the weeks leading up to it's ïllness"...including leopard and lion and plenty more animals besides. Our next trip to KNP (and my favourite camp, Orpen) only in 6 months time so am seriously missing my Orpen "fix"" :cry: Regards.

Return to “Webcams”