Skip to Content

Using Bird Calls

All topics and discussions with reference to birds in all SANParks
Birderalf

Using Bird Calls

Unread post by Birderalf » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:07 pm

I have a question regarding the use of bird calls in Kruger: Is this permitted and is there a protocol or code of practice regarding the use of calls or otherwise?

Please excuse the simplistic nature of the question but different practices are accepted in different countries and habitats depending upon the sensitivity of the birds to the use of calls, frequency of use etc and I don't know what the case is in SA and its parks. Here in the UK for example it isn't actually illegal but would be frowned upon in the case of certain species (it also isn't very effective in cool climates for whatever reasons). On the other hand I have experienced people using calls far too much (in my opinion) in many countries in Asia but that is the common practice.

Please sraighten me out if I'm in danger of doing something wrong - all advice gratefully received.
==========================
Big Trip 2016

Jan 24 -26 Skukuza
Jan 26-29 Satara
Jan 29- Feb 1 Shingwedzi
Feb 1-4 Punda Maria
Feb 4-7 Letaba
Fen 7-9 Olifants
Feb 9-11 Skukuza
Feb 11-13 Lower Sabie
Feb 13-15 Berg-En-Dal

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Using Bird Calls

Unread post by Imberbe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:13 am

There is no specific rule prohibiting people from using bird calls and I do think that some people do use it.

But our National Parks are established to promote conservation and we would like to discourage practices which may have a negative effect on conservation and therefore the animals and birds. The national parks prioritise conservation above the guest experience where the two do come in to conflict and where such actions may harm the natural ecosystem.

There are rules to prevent this negative impact and you may be fined or prosecuted for such actions.

This obviously leaves a grey area as to exactly where one crosses the line.

I know for a fact that i.e. playing the sounds of predators to attract other predators are heavily frowned upon. Bird calls could be argued to have a similar impact on the birds.

So though you will probably not get in to trouble for using a bird call, it is something which is not encouraged.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

pnm

Unread post by pnm » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 am

I agree that recorded bird calls are not generally welcome in the park (by me anyway), but the e-versions of bird books have the calls and cell phones will I think be used to call birds. I restrict myself to spishing, and so far generally don't attract any (human) attention or hostility - just usually a crowd of children following me to ask what I am doing - so it is self defeating! I spish in the camps as long there is no one also birding or taking pictures or trying to nap under a tree. The birds in the camps are usually so habituated that calls/spishing is not needed - the birds come to you out of curiosity! I have got a lovely shot of a Puffback that was more interested in me than I was in it.
Keep well
Pete, who is spending the whole of February in the park
Pete

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:35 am

Imberbe wrote:So though you will probably not get in to trouble for using a bird call, it is something which is not encouraged.

pnm wrote:I spish in the camps as long there is no one also birding or taking pictures or trying to nap under a tree. The birds in the camps are usually so habituated that calls/spishing is not needed - the birds come to you out of curiosity!

Imberbe and pnm have answered your question Birderalf. Nothing that I can add. :thumbs_up:
"He who refuses to obey cannot command." - African Proverb.

Nights in KNP - 2016
17 - 19 October - Letaba
20 - 22 October - Punda Maria
23 - 25 October - Shingwedzi
26 - 28 October - Mopani
29 October - Return home

Birderalf

Unread post by Birderalf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:25 pm

That's very helpful and sensible, thanks.

Of course, as a keen birder I would always put the wellbeing of a bird ahead of a tick or photo but just occasionally I have used calls as encouragement. I suppose pishing or even imitating Pearl-spotted Owlets might be acceptable if used sparingly and with great discretion.

On our previous trip (2009) I didn't have, hence use, any calls - and we seemed to do OK.

:thumbs_up:
==========================
Big Trip 2016

Jan 24 -26 Skukuza
Jan 26-29 Satara
Jan 29- Feb 1 Shingwedzi
Feb 1-4 Punda Maria
Feb 4-7 Letaba
Fen 7-9 Olifants
Feb 9-11 Skukuza
Feb 11-13 Lower Sabie
Feb 13-15 Berg-En-Dal

Imberbe

Unread post by Imberbe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Enjoy your visit!

I trust you will enjoy great birding!
:thumbs_up:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Some more on the subject Here
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

chirinda

Unread post by chirinda » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:04 pm

I was at Lake Panic one day over the recent cricket weekend and there was a fish eagle call, quite loud, and sounding close. After quite a few repeats I realised it was someone playing the call. The call player then went on to some other calls, just as loud, and I got up and left.

For me it was intrusive.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:41 pm

I had just got the bird package on my tablet and was sitting outside my chalet in Twee Rivieren at night and played the call of the pearl spotted owlet .

A few chalets away, the people ran inside and emerged with torcnes and shone them into the trees around while I crept into the chalet .

A while later I called the Verreaux's eagle owl a few times and gave up and got up to go to bed and saw him on the roof behind me.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:51 am

You were lucky that the Owl reacted to your "invitation" Bush Baptist! :clap: :clap:
"He who refuses to obey cannot command." - African Proverb.

Nights in KNP - 2016
17 - 19 October - Letaba
20 - 22 October - Punda Maria
23 - 25 October - Shingwedzi
26 - 28 October - Mopani
29 October - Return home

Return to “Birding in SANParks”