hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Atlassing Kruger... on foot!

Unread post by hilda » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 am

Welcome and the very best of luck to you Leonie2! :thumbs_up:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

6 sleeps to go!

I’m leaving for KNP on Friday already and started getting my equipment and baggage sorted last night. It is a lekker (wonderful) activity to systematically set out all the stuff that need to go with, checking every individual item for functionality!

I got a new toy over the weekend: a voice-activated recorder that interfaces with software to deliver a word document. Apparently it’s like dictation to a super secretary… I hope this is going to make my trip reports go a bit faster!

For the rest of the week I will be “playing” with the new toy to master all its functions. I’m holding thumbs that it accomplishes its work as I imagine it to…
685 2016 lifers: Spotted crake, Lesser jacana, Burchell's courser, Double-banded courser, Rufous-tailed scrub robin, House crow, Manx shearwater, Antarctic prion, Northern giant petrel, Northern royal albatross

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread post by JenB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:24 am

Wow, you're off again JvR! :dance:
Happy packing! :thumbs_up:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Leonie2

Unread post by Leonie2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 am

HI there fellow atlassers

I'm the replacement player for the 'injured' Etienne. Really looking forward to the trip and meeting you all. Its a mad rush to get all the gear ready and start planning meal options. Planning a trip like this is half the fun.

Asanja

Unread post by Asanja » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:29 am

Good Morning to you all.

Just throwing it out there, Use it or loose it, If the complexity of the "real world" is getting you down, and you could not get a spot on the trail going out on the 25 of March, There is still space available for the trail departing on the 28 of March, I can promise that the minimalistic essence of the wilderness will wash away your burdens and free you from your woes... for a little while at least.

For those of you joining on the 25th, if your time and budget can allow, why not make it a back-to-back, and head out again on the 28. you can have quick shower, if need be, top on your food and maybe a clean shirt if you so desire, and we head out again in the afternoon?

Any way just planting the seed.

Multiflorum

Unread post by Multiflorum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 am

I take it the trip leaving on 28 March will not be a bird atlassing one though? Who are the guides doing this one?

For those leaving on 25 March, best of luck!

We had a wonderful time in February.

I so wish I could be there to do it again, but my schedule wont quite permit me the opportunity.

Asanja

Unread post by Asanja » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 am

The trail departing on the 28 will be lead by Julie Wolhuter and Hans Enslin, it will not have the specific agenda of atlassing, However if the group or individuals are keen, this can definitely be accommodated, as both have been involved in atlassing on a couple of prior occasion.

Tilandi
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tilandi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:22 pm

1sleep Johan. Good luck and enjoy your trip! :lol: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Latest lifer Greater Painted Snipe, Burchell's Courser

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Tilandi wrote:1sleep Johan. Good luck and enjoy your trip! :lol: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Yeah! Tomorrow night I'll be trying out a Skukuza safari tent bed!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like it is only you and me that are excited about that walk in the wilderness! At the moment I am furiously busy packing and I have this idea that the adrenaline levels are going to keep me awake right through this last sleep! I wonder what my fellow atlassers are doing... :hmz:
Last edited by Johan van Rensburg on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
685 2016 lifers: Spotted crake, Lesser jacana, Burchell's courser, Double-banded courser, Rufous-tailed scrub robin, House crow, Manx shearwater, Antarctic prion, Northern giant petrel, Northern royal albatross

Ladybirder
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ladybirder » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Enjoy this trip, I am jealous .

Pooh Bear
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pooh Bear » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:24 am

Johan van Rensburg wrote: I wonder what my fellow atlassers are doing...
This fellow atlasser is working through the night - again. So much to do I can't find the time to get excited right now - but will on Saturday! :dance:

Leonie2

Unread post by Leonie2 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:37 am

Same here. Was hectic trying to re-schedule all the work but will defenitely be worth it.

Did my first dry run on packing the backpack last night. Already very full with 5l water and all food still to come...maybe I will have to leave one of the 6-pack beers behind?

Cherries
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cherries » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 am

Do have lots of fun Leonie2.... maybe one of the musketeers will carry the beer for you with a little bit of bribery of course!!

Can't wait for the second trip report from Johan and Party!

There's is one consolation Leonie - your backpack will get a bit lighter after each day! :wink:

Wishing you a great birding time.

Jackie

joanm456

Unread post by joanm456 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Have a great time on this trip, can't wait to see all the wonderful pics and read the TR.

dianne
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by dianne » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 pm

We got back yesterday and I was completely blown away. It ranks as my all-time favourite KNP experience.

JvR - what a legend you are for organising it!

Julie and Brenden are phenomenal guides, the trail concept is unique, the Mphongolo Wilderness Area is exceptionally special, the company was excellent and the birding was just fantastic!

As I'm fast running out of appropriate adjectives I'll leave it at that for now...except to say that after being immersed in the wilderness for 4 days and 3 nights, being back in the 'real' world sucks!

I'm looking forward to the team sharing more about the atlassing results as soon as all the data is loaded - everyone did a brilliant job :thumbs_up:
Dianne Tipping-Woods

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”