Skip to Content

Punda in July

All topics and discussions with reference to birds in all SANParks
davidhein

Punda in July

Unread post by davidhein » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I will be up at Punda for 4 nights in July (13 to 17). I know this is not necessarily the best birding time of the year, but as a student you fit in whatever you can.

Last time I was in that area I must have been around 10 years old, so I remember very little (vague memories of the camp, Crooks etc... but NO detail). I am asking specific advice regrading birding, what to do, what routes to take, what to look out for and so on. I haven't really got "target" species, but rather going to enjoy the peace and quiet for a few days, but would obviously love to see things like Pels, Arnots chat etc...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
2016:
29/03 - 01/04 Pretoriuskop
13/07 - 17/07 Punda Maria
Instagram - @davidwild

Highbury

Re: Punda in July

Unread post by Highbury » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:44 am

If you have 4 days there , my recommendation would be to head straight to Pafuri bridge as early as possible on at least 2 of the days. Spend half an hour on the bridge , and then head to Crooks Corner slowly checking all the loops along the way. Spend half an hour at CC and then return to the picnic spot for breakfast and birding. On the way back to Punda do the Nyala drive west of the bridge. In the afternoon I would do the Mahonie loop around the camp and allow about 2 and a half hourse for that.
Klopperfontein dam is also worth visiting. I have seen Arnot's Chats on 2 occasions on the tar road out of Punda towards Shingwedzi in the tall mopane trees near where the power lines cross the road. Another possibility is the dirt road to Klopperfontein , and basically anywhere where there are tall mopane trees.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:59 am

Hi Davidhein,

I agree with Highbury, if I had the chance I would slowly venture up to Crooks Corner everyday, even Pafuri picnic spot offers unique birding experiences. But please share your sightings with us when you venture to the Far North, Davidhein :)

davidhein

Unread post by davidhein » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:18 am

Highbury wrote:If you have 4 days there , my recommendation would be to head straight to Pafuri bridge as early as possible on at least 2 of the days. Spend half an hour on the bridge , and then head to Crooks Corner slowly checking all the loops along the way. Spend half an hour at CC and then return to the picnic spot for breakfast and birding. On the way back to Punda do the Nyala drive west of the bridge. In the afternoon I would do the Mahonie loop around the camp and allow about 2 and a half hourse for that.

I was planning on heading up there two days, so glad that I got that one right :D may even enter there early on my entry morning and try get to Pafuri itself really early... Will still see.

Highbury wrote:Klopperfontein dam is also worth visiting. I have seen Arnot's Chats on 2 occasions on the tar road out of Punda towards Shingwedzi in the tall mopane trees near where the power lines cross the road. Another possibility is the dirt road to Klopperfontein , and basically anywhere where there are tall mopane trees.

Will have a look for Arnot's around there then, thank you.

George_Brits wrote:Hi Davidhein,

I agree with Highbury, if I had the chance I would slowly venture up to Crooks Corner everyday, even Pafuri picnic spot offers unique birding experiences. But please share your sightings with us when you venture to the Far North, Davidhein :)

Was planning on doing two days at Pafuri/Crooks, and one going down to Shingwedzi's side for something a little different, would you rather spend this 3rd day up North too? Or rather slow drive around Mahonie, with breakfast and birding in and around the camp area?
2016:
Instagram - @davidwild

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:33 am

I would do the Mahonie loop late afternoons, but then again its personal preference, but Pafuri is prime birding country, especially around the Luvuvhu and Mutale Rivers.

Most of the area's specials can be found along these rivers and I have ticked on my list blackeyed, yellow bellied bulbuls, crowned hornbills, bearded robins. My favourite is the bleating warblers.

Around the Mahonie loop, the roadside birding is very good, and birds that are almost certain to be seen include rollers and white-crowned shrikes.

Do you plan to exit via Punda Maria gate then? If not I would leave Punda Maria camp then early (gate opening time) on the day of departure and exit at Phalaborwa gate, that way you will be able to include Shingwedzi in your places to visit list :)

davidhein

Unread post by davidhein » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:21 pm

George_Brits wrote:I would do the Mahonie loop late afternoons, but then again its personal preference, but Pafuri is prime birding country, especially around the Luvuvhu and Mutale Rivers.

Most of the area's specials can be found along these rivers and I have ticked on my list blackeyed, yellow bellied bulbuls, crowned hornbills, bearded robins. My favourite is the bleating warblers.

Around the Mahonie loop, the roadside birding is very good, and birds that are almost certain to be seen include rollers and white-crowned shrikes.

Do you plan to exit via Punda Maria gate then? If not I would leave Punda Maria camp then early (gate opening time) on the day of departure and exit at Phalaborwa gate, that way you will be able to include Shingwedzi in your places to visit list :)

Thank you George. I think we will exit at Phala Gate. Then probably do two days up at Pafuri, with one coming down earlier to cruise Mahonie, one day in and around Punda (including Mahonie) and then Shingwedzi way on our exit day :D
2016:
Instagram - @davidwild

johanclassen

Unread post by johanclassen » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:12 pm

Hallo davidhein,

We will again be there from 5 June for 5 nights and my passion is also mostly avian photography.

If you go and look at this posting, I am sure it will help you a lot. Enjoy Punda Maria and it's magical old Kruger charm

https://sites.google.com/site/birdingin ... unda-maria

Cheers 8)

davidhein

Unread post by davidhein » Wed May 04, 2016 5:50 pm

johanclassen wrote:Hallo davidhein,

We will again be there from 5 June for 5 nights and my passion is also mostly avian photography.

If you go and look at this posting, I am sure it will help you a lot. Enjoy Punda Maria and it's magical old Kruger charm

https://sites.google.com/site/birdingin ... unda-maria

Cheers 8)

Thank you Johan :D :D :D very informative, appreciate the help!
2016:
Instagram - @davidwild

Return to “Birding in SANParks”