Identification Help - General Birds

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:27 am

That would be my guess. ;-)

Slim chance of it being an Amethyst, but the eyebrow seems to start above the eye and not the base of the bill, well, that is if you can trust the description of these immature birds, which I don't think is very well described at all.

Amethyst would be much more scarcer in Kruger, described as only likely in south Western camps. I think I got mine in Pretoriuskop.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 am

Happy with the Scarlet-chested as I saw no others this trip.
Immature birds are sooooooo difficult!

I have an Amethyst on my list for my May 2015 and Sept 2016 trips - I was in the Skukuza area both times.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 am

Karin Mitton wrote:I have an Amethyst on my list for my May 2015 and Sept 2016 trips - I was in the Skukuza area both times.

Ja, good area to get them. I also saw one at Malelane gate last year or so. Berg 'n Dal should also be good.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 am

As for Variable Sunbird. I think one would need to get a particularly good photo of it if seen in Kruger to claim it.

Personally I don't think that it has ever really been recorded in Kruger before. It is just too similar to Collared Sunbird. :naughty:

There are certainly no records of it in Kruger during SABAP2 and during SABAP1 people hardly took photos to be certain.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Karin & Wildtuinman,

Just to make the discussion about the ID of the Sunbird a bit more interesting, I did contact Trevor Hardaker and this was his reply:

"It would be rather odd to get a vagrant Variable Sunbird there that is this young – a bird this young would have probably only recently left the nest, so is unlikely to have travelled the distance to get to Pafuri. From what I can make out in these photos, I would lean towards a young Marico Sunbird which would be a resident breeder in the area and would also explain such a young bird in the area.".
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 1-6 March 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”