Skip to Content

Kruger birding:Birding sites in Kruger

All topics and discussions with reference to birds in all SANParks
nightjar

Unread post by nightjar » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:48 pm

Birds seen at Bateleur camp (KNP) between 18th and 21st December 2006:

African Spoonbill, Little Sparrowhawk, Natal Francolin, Red-eyed Dove, Cape Turtle Dove, Laughing Dove, Emerald-spotted Wood-dove, Grey Go-away Bird, Jacobin Cuckoo, Speckled Mousebird, Woodland Kingfisher, Brown-hooded Kingfisher, African Hoopoe, African Grey Hornbill, Red-billed Hornbill, Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill, Black-collared Barbet , Crested Barbet, Cardinal Woodpecker, Bearded Woodpecker, Lesser-striped Swallow, Fork-tailed Drongo, Black-headed Oriole, Arrow-marked Babbler, Dark-capped Bulbul, Kurrichane Thrush, White-browed Scrub-Robin, Willow Warbler, Long-billed Crombec, Green-capped Eremomela, Grey-backed Camaroptera, Tawny-flanked Prinia, Spotted Flycatcher, Chinspot Batis, African Paradise-Flycatcher, Red-backed Shrike, Brown-crowned Tchagra, Orange-breasted Bush-Shrike, White-crowned Helmet-Shrike, Retz’s Helmet-Shrike Violet-backed Starling , Cape Glossy Starling, Red-billed Oxpecker, Marico Sunbird, White-bellied Sunbird, Southern Grey-headed Sparrow, Spectacled Weaver, Lesser Masked Weaver, Red-headed Weaver, Red- billed Quelea, Green-winged Pytilia, Blue Waxbill, Golden-breasted Bunting, Cinnamon-breasted Bunting.

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Penny » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:46 am

Hi Boomslang

A good place to start would be the camps you are staying in - Croc Bridge, Satara and Letaba have prolific birdlife. I do not know what month of the year you are coming to KNP but if it is very hot you will be well served in doing an early morning drive and then spending a couple of hours in the afternoon in camp birding before doing an afternoon drive (4 or 5 p.m.). We have just returned from Kruger and were astounded at the birldife in all three of these camps. Satara in particular at the cottage we stayed at was a never ending visitation of birds in the private garden and small pond therein. Enjoy anyway!

Yours in Parking
Penny
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by francoisd » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:43 am

Hi Boomslang,

Middle March many of the summer visitors might still be around.

As Penny mentioned all 3 camps you are visiting has some good birding to be had in the camps. Take some time in Letaba and walk around the areas between the shop-reception-restuarant where the large trees area and also in the camping area especially. Had some good views of Cut-throat Finch in the camping area before as well as numerous other birds. At night look out for owls in the camping area in Letaba.

At Letaba also visit the Matambeni bird hide which looks over Engelhard dam. Not always good birding there but other times it is cooking. You are also supposed to be able to find Collard (Redwinged) Pranticole there although I've never been succesfull before.

The whole area around Satara, as well as, the camp itself is good for birding. I have not stayed in Crocodile Bridge but during stop overs there had good birding in the camp and the surrounding areas.

As Wildtuinman mention it might be a good idea to maybe make a list of birds you would like to see, even if they seem to be common birds for the area and post it. With a list of 480 already there might be a lot of "usual" stuff we might mention which you’ve already see. It might also be easier to suggest more specific spots in the areas you are visiting.
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Wild about cats » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:47 am

Yes, Penny and francoisd's advise is great. Letaba is especally blocked up with birds. When I was there recently there was a kill right outside the camp at the lookout from camp. We got there just as the vultures arrived and the animal was gone. We saw some stunning vultures and there were PLENTY.
Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

Boomslang

Unread post by Boomslang » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:05 am

Thanks for the advice so far. Wildtuinman, a couple of birds I would rather like to see would include:

Whitebacked Night-Heron; Whitebacked&Fulvous Ducks; Crake species; Greater Painted-Snipe; African Snipe; Temminck's&Bronzewinged Coursers; Bluespotted Wood-Dove; Cuckoo species; Owls; Greyheaded&Striped Kingfishers; Rackettailed&Broadbilled Rollers; Lark species; Cuckooshrikes; LBJ's; Eremomela's; Ashy, Grey-Tit, Marico&Pale Flycatchers; Lesser Grey, Brubru, Gorgeous Bush, Orangebreasted Bush, Whitecrested Helmet and Retz's Helmet Shrikes; Purplebanded&Plainbacked Sunbirds; Violeteared&Orangebreasted Waxbills.

Just general tried and trusted hotspots would be great! I realise that one can't order a bird to just appear where and when you would like, but would be chuffed just adding 10-15 lifers to the list.

Thanks again.

nightjar

Unread post by nightjar » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:03 am

Boomslang,

Temminck's Courser can sometime be seen in the flat scrub alongside the gravel road down to the Nthandanyathi bird hide (nr Croc Bridge).

Lesser Grey Shrikes are fairly common on the plains north of Lower Sabie (H10 and S29).

I have seen African and Red-chested Cuckoos on the Satara-Orpen road at or close to Bobbejaan Krans.

Broad-billed Rollers are most common in the far north of KNP -never seen them south of Bateleur. Helmet-shrikes and Bush Shrikes may be most easily found in the camps, but I am sure you could find them anywhere. There is a thread somewhere on this forum with suggestions for finding Gorgeous Bush-Shrike; they are secretive and I've never been lucky enough to find one.

Good luck.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:57 am

nightjar wrote:Boomslang,

Temminck's Courser can sometime be seen in the flat scrub alongside the gravel road down to the Nthandanyathi bird hide (nr Croc Bridge).

Or on the roads just north of the S100 back to the H1
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Boomslang

Unread post by Boomslang » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Thank you very much Nightjar for the tips. Will have my eyes and ears wide open when in the camps and at those particular stretches you mentioned. Bush Baptist, thanks also for advice.

Any other comments regarding my list and where to find some of them would be greatly appreciated.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:13 am

Boomslang wrote:Thanks for the advice so far. Wildtuinman, a couple of birds I would rather like to see would include:

Whitebacked Night-Heron - Your best bet will be Shipandane, they were breeding there a few months ago. Lake panic also had them as well as Sweni hide.
Whitebacked&Fulvous Ducks; - Ducks are seen on most water holes.
Crake species; - Black crake is present @ Lake Panic, the other crakes will take some time/luck finding.
Greater Painted-Snipe; - The Mopani and Punda Maria(Klopperfontein) areas seems to be a place to find these, I myself have never seen them.
African Snipe; - Never seen them in Kruger either, but try aforementioned areas.Temminck's&Bronzewinged Coursers; - Bronze-winged courser is a definite on nightdrives from Croc bridge. Temminck's frequesnt recently burnt areas. Some folks say Shingwedzi's back gate area is a good spot. I've never seen them either.
Bluespotted Wood-Dove; - Pafuri.
Cuckoo species; - Cuckoo's can be found all over the Park in summer time. I suggest you learn their calls and then look for them as soon as you hear one.
Owls; - Owls too can be found all over the Park. Pretoriuskop is a very good spot for spotted-eagle owl and barn owl. Lower Sabie produce sightings of barred owlet and white-faced scops owl. Scops owls can be found @ afsaal picnic spot and satara. Pearl-spotted owlets are regulary seen during the day in the Satara area. Listen for their calls. I suggest you do a nightdrive to find owls.
Greyheaded&Striped Kingfishers; - Berg-en-dal provided me with striped kingfisher once. Grey-headed I yet have to find.
Rackettailed&Broadbilled Rollers; - Pafuri
Lark species; - Any grassy area. Satara seems good habitat for these.
LBJ's; - Can be found anywhere in the Park. Again I suggest you learn their calls. Satara seems good.

Boomslang wrote:Eremomela's;
Cuckooshrikes;
Ashy, Grey-Tit,
Marico&Pale Flycatchers; Lesser Grey,
Brubru,

The above I have no good exact locations for. But the are to be found in Kruger.

Boomslang wrote:Gorgeous Bush, - Haven't got a clue, but do let me know if you find any. :lol: Listen for their calls, its one thing hearing them, but another seeing. Berg-en-dal's Matjulu dam have provided me with calls.
Orangebreasted Bush, - Seen in Lower Sabie.
Whitecrested Helmet and Retz's Helmet Shrikes; - Seen in Biyamithi. Purplebanded&Plainbacked Sunbirds;Violeteared&Orangebreasted Waxbills. - Sorry, can't help withe these.

Hope you find what you looking for!
Good luck!
W™

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:14 am

Boomslang, it's a pity that these pagesdon't get updated, but never the less, have a peek at it.

As for the WB heron. I won't guarantee that it is still there, but who knows? The BW Courser thou is in my book a definite @ Croc bridge on a night drive. They in fact drive one nuts as they fly up on nr. 99 as the vehicle approaches and fly a few meters to just land back infront of the vehicle forcing the driver to hit the brakes again. :lol:

Hooligan birds! :lol:

Good luck and have fun! :wink:

nightjar

Unread post by nightjar » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:08 pm

Birds seen at Mopani camp between 23rd and 26th December 2006. All birds seen within the camp boundary or seen from camp on the Pioneer dam:

Reed Cormorant, African Darter, Grey Heron, Goliath Heron, Great Egret, Green-backed Heron, Hamerkop, Marabou Stork, Glossy Ibis, African Spoonbill, Greater Flamingo, White-faced Duck, Egyptian Goose, Yellow-billed Kite, African Fish Eagle, Lanner Falcon, Natal Francolin, Black Crake, African Jacana, Blacksmith Lapwing, Common Sandpiper, Marsh Sandpiper, Greenshank, Black-winged Stilt, Water Thick-Knee, Collared Pratincole, African Mourning Dove, Laughing Dove, African Green-Pigeon, Grey Go-away Bird, Burchell’s Coucal, Barn Owl, White-rumped Swift, Pied Kingfisher, Giant Kingfisher, Malachite Kingfisher, Woodland Kingfisher, Brown-hooded Kingfisher, African Grey Hornbill, Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill, Crested Barbet, Barn Swallow, Wire-tailed Swallow, Fork-tailed Drongo, Southern Black Tit, Dark-capped Bulbul, Kurrichane Thrush, Groundscraper Thrush, Mocking Cliff-chat, White-browed Scrub-Robin, Long-billed Crombec, Tawny-flanked Prinia, Spotted Flycatcher, Chinspot Batis, Spotted Flycatcher, African Paradise-Flycatcher, Black-backed Puffback, Cape Glossy Starling, Yellow-billed Oxpecker, White-bellied Sunbird, House Sparrow, Southern Grey-headed Sparrow, Southern Masked Weaver, Red-headed Weaver, Red- billed Quelea, Red-billed Firefinch, Common Waxbill, Yellow-fronted Canary, Golden-breasted Bunting.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:26 am

Pel’s Fishing Owl from the bird hide at Lake Panic near Skukuza on Thursday morning at about 06:10. The bird was flushed and chased twice by a pair of African Harrier Hawk that were not happy with having it around. Once it reached sufficient cover, it continued giving the typical hoarse scream
until the AHH’s lost interest and moved off. Also heard at least two Gorgeous Bush Shrike calling from the same hide.

WOW!!

johnd

Birding: KRUGER

Unread post by johnd » Sun May 06, 2007 11:33 pm

I would like to add a link to a website that I have started with the aim of giving anybody that's interested, information on where to do birdwatching in the Kruger National Park. I do not make any profit from this and have to do it in my spare time, as such, I have only finished the section on Pafuri so far, but aim to have a piece on all of the major camps and also the lebombo Eco trail where some interesting birds like Rudd's Apalis and Pink-throated Twinspot can be seen. I've live in kruger my whole life (21yrs) and know the birds here very well, I hope the information can help anybody that's interested and I'll try to add more information on a regular basis.

krugerbirding.googlepages.com

BushCall

Re: kruger birding website

Unread post by BushCall » Mon May 07, 2007 6:49 am

johnd wrote:I would like to add a link to a website that I have started with the aim of giving anybody that's interested, information on where to do birdwatching in the Kruger National Park. I do not make any profit from this and have to do it in my spare time, as such, I have only finished the section on Pafuri so far, but aim to have a piece on all of the major camps and also the lebombo Eco trail where some interesting birds like Rudd's Apalis and Pink-throated Twinspot can be seen. I've live in kruger my whole life (21yrs) and know the birds here very well, I hope the information can help anybody that's interested and I'll try to add more information on a regular basis.

krugerbirding.googlepages.com

Well done Johnd I know lots of people who will be very interested in this very worthwhile site of yours. I was very young but I can remember when the first known modern day sighting of Rudds Apalis was sighted up near Nyandu Bush...If I can remember correctly....it was heard on Kruger side and then followed up and sighted just over the fence in Mocambique. Everybody was very excited at the time. How many more sightings of this bird have taken place since then?

bentley

Unread post by bentley » Mon May 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Not out of the norm birds but 4 out of the norm sightings and pics I got this past week: a giant king fisher with a catch in the beak(spelling), mid day 2 whiteback vultures in a nest, a female bateleur munching on a snake and a fish eagle just sitting on patch of grass about 10m away not bothered by us at all. I drove up & down past it to get the best pics & it parked there with not a flinch only the head turning to see what we were upto.
Life is what we make of it..we can not control what happens in our life but how we handle it.

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Return to “Birding in SANParks”