Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread post by hilda » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:14 am

I would agree with African Pipit Karin. The dark back could look dark due to the shadow and the absence of the light outer tail feathers could just be the way the photo was taken so that you can't see the white outer webs on the tail feathers. Let's wait for the experts. :thumbs_up:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:15 pm

Everything about the bird points to Pipit, Karin.

Unfortunately the light distorted most of its features, but I think it would be wise to stay with African Pipit on this one.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:21 pm

barryels wrote:Dear roaneric,

My take on your birds are as follows:

1. Yellow-bellied Greenbul: Forehead to upper tail coverts olive green, slightly browner on crown, where feathers elongated into shaggy crest. Tail feathers, brown above, pale yellow below. Eyes brown, red-brown or bright red; eye ring white, broadest above eye.

2.Marico Flycatcher: Forehead, crown and nape uniform pale brown. Cheeks and lores pale ochre-brown. Underparts uniformly off-white, with faint buff wash. Flanks pale grey-brown. Bill black. Eyes dark brown.

3. Kalahari Scrub-robin: Supercilium whitish and broad; loral stripe black, extending as stripe behind eye. Ear coverts sandy brown. The tail is a giveaway with its chestnut-orange, rectrices with broad, blackish-brown subterminal bands and white tips

4. Cape Weaver: Upper parts dull olive-brown, crown and mantle with faint streaking. Tail olive-brown. Wings brown, coverts with narrow greenish-yellow edges. Chin and throat creamy, with yellowish wash.

5. House sparrow: Crown and nape grey, sides of nape and neck chestnut. Lores black, extending onto frons and behind eye as narrow eye stripe. Cheeks and small spot above and behind eye whitish. Mantle and back buffy brown, with blackish feather centres forming distinct rows of streaks.

Agree with most id's except the Weaver. The Blue/Grey legs rules out Cape Weaver and rather points to Lesser Masked Weaver.

May I add that the Kalahari Scrub-Robin is ONE HELLUVA good record for Kruger!! As far as I know it has never been recorded in Kruger before (I see some records in the far north in Pafuri on SABAP2)! And I checked now and never even close to Southern Kruger during SABAP2 at all! http://sabap2.adu.org.za/species_info.php?spp=586

Where and when exactly did you see this bird, Roaneric?
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by roaneric » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:47 pm

wildtuinman wrote:May I add that the Kalahari Scrub-Robin is ONE HELLUVA good record for Kruger!! As far as I know it has never been recorded in Kruger before (I see some records in the far north in Pafuri on SABAP2)! And I checked now and never even close to Southern Kruger during SABAP2 at all! http://sabap2.adu.org.za/species_info.php?spp=586

Where and when exactly did you see this bird, Roaneric?

I just looked it up quickly. The date and time on the photographs are as follows... " Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:37 AM". I made a mistake, sorry :redface: We were still in Pilanesberg that day. Only went towards Pretoriuskop in Kruger after that so the picture was taken in Pilanesberg national park. Sorry for that. :doh:

It is a very pretty bird. :D
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 am

No worries Roaneric. :thumbs_up:

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”