Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread post by hilda » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:10 am

The Lazy Cisticola's mantle is grey-brown and almost plain, and the Levaillant's Cisticola has blackish upper parts with grey or buff feather edges. If you have a picture of this bird where you can see the upper parts, the distinction between Lazy and Levaillant's should not be too difficult I think. But I am no expert, I really hope one of our experts will be able to help you pnm. :thumbs_up:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

pnm

Unread post by pnm » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks, Hilda! I will have a good look tonight. (Only tonight as we have just relocated and I am taken up doing unnecessary things like food,beds, etc instead of paying attention to birds

I have about ten photos of this bird and I cannot get ONE to load on to the forum. Under habits perhaps we should put: Shy.!
Pete

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 am

pnm wrote:Hi all

I took these pics in Kruger at midday in February this year. I have searched the books and scratched my head and I say Lazy Cisticola but my son says Levailants. Can anyone help me with some pointers?

Many thanks
Pete

Hi Pete,
I cannot see your photos, but I can say that Levaillant's Cisticola shouldn't occur in Kruger, that would be very rare! The only other bird one could confuse it with is Rufous-winged Cisticola.

Where in Kruger did you take the photos?
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

pnm

Unread post by pnm » Fri May 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Wildtuinman

Sorry about the delay but moving house and then a crashed computer is not doing my birding any good. Also I seem unable to put pics on this page having succeeded once before! I will try again this weekend. I have numerous pics of the bird and will try to choose the best display of the bird. As I type this the Fierynecked nightjar has just finished calling outside. Glorious.

Pete of George
who was
Pete of Paarl
Pete

elpaco
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by elpaco » Sun May 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to put some order in my photos.
I came across this one with a doubt on the ID. any help appreciated please .

I am thinking of a female Shaft tailed whydah (or a non breeding red billed quelea but the bill looks too bright to me, it is supposed to be dull in my book)

thanks for your help

I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Mon May 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi Elpaco
It appears to have a reddish eye ring on your photograph, which if that is the case leads me towards a Red billed Quelea

That's my opinion anyway. :redface:

I don't trust myself yet , :redface: so lets hope one of the experts pops in here soon, so we can both learn. Have you ever tried the bird quizzes here on the forum Elpaco ? Total fun that is :thumbs_up: :D

Hilda , can you put a link in here for Elpaco please. :D :D :thumbs_up:
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.......I never know what they are planning. :roll:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ?

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue May 24, 2016 8:17 am

It seems that my post from yesterday has disappeared into the cyber space again elpaco. I was also suggesting female Red-billed Quelea, but hoping one of the experts could confirm or lead us in the right direction. :thumbs_up:

@ isinkwe: By all means isinkwe, but if I am not mistaken, elpaco has already participated in the Duckling Challenge. Anyway, here are the links:

Bird ID Challenges 2016 (Bi-weekly)

Birding School for Ducklings: 2016 (Weekly)

Hope to see you participating in both challenges elpaco! :thumbs_up:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

elpaco
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by elpaco » Tue May 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks isinkwe and hilda.

I have already seen the challenges, thanks, will try to participate here and now
I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue May 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Wonderful elpaco! Enjoy! :clap: :clap:

pnm

Unread post by pnm » Tue May 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello all and esp Hilda and Wildtuinman

This is the fifth try tonight to get the pics posted. I am not giving up so here goes.

Hilda and Wildtuinman (but anyone can respond) - here is the photo of the Cisticola I took midday in February near Skukuza. Is it a Lazy?

Pete of George
who was delighted to find a juv Black Crake in his garden.
Attachments
Cisticola2.jpg
Cisticola1.jpg
Pete

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Wed May 25, 2016 3:18 am

Hi Pete, I am afraid I can not be much of a help to you in bird identifications, I am a novice as far as this is concerned. :D

However, I don't think this is a Lazy Cisticola, based on the fact that the Lazy Cisticola has a dull white well-defined supercilium, which I can not see on this little bird. Lazy Cisticola's bill is dark horn with a pinkish base, which is not the case with this bird. One cannot see this bird's back or tail properly, which makes it more difficult to ID. I would rather say it is a Rattling Cisticola. :hmz:

I'm sure Wildtuinman and/or DotDan, and maybe even Johan van Rensburg will soon respond here, and they will definitely be able to ID it correctly. :thumbs_up:

Congratulations on finding a juvenile Black Crake in your garden! :dance: :dance:

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Wed May 25, 2016 8:09 am

I would agree with Rattling. They love sitting on top branches and scream their lungs out.

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:47 pm

I think this may be a Dusky Indigobird? It was seen in KNP in May near Pretoriuskop. Could someone confirm or correct me?

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

DotDan, Wildtuinman, addictedToBirds, Ladybirder, Johan van Rensburg, etc., PLEASE HELP!!

I would agree with Dusky Indigobird - non-breeding salamanda, because it fits Roberts' description of a non-breeding male or female: Crown tawny brown, boldly streaked blackish brown, with indistinct paler brown median crown stripe and broad dark brown lateral crown stripes. Face buffy brown, with whitish supercilium and dark brown eye stripe ending in indistinct blackish ear spot. Nape finely streaked brown and blackish brown. Mantle and back buffy grey-brown, with blackish streaks; rump plain. Tail blackish brown. Wing dark brown, with buffy margins to coverts forming 2 indistinct wing bars. Chin and throat whitish. Breast, belly and undertail coverts greyish white; sides of breast and flanks buffy grey. Bill white, sometimes washed pink or grey, mainly on upper mandible. Eyes brown. Legs and feet pale purplish grey to pale orange.

Let's wait for the experts salamanda! :thumbs_up:

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:25 am

Agree with Hilda :thumbs_up:
Non Breeding Dusky Indigobird
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.......I never know what they are planning. :roll:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ?

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”