Skip to Content

Identification Help - Raptors

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
User avatar
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4830
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 am
Location: Chasing down the rarities

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by wildtuinman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 pm

The first bird has a light-colored eye. That immediately rules out Wahlberg's Eagle and young Lesser Spotted and Tawny Eagles.
Options:
1. adult Lesser Spotted Eagle
2. adult Tawny Eagle

The big bill and largish nostril makes me think that it is an adult Tawny Eagle.

The second bird seems to have a dark eye. That rules out adult Tawny and Lesser Spotted Eagles. The small round nostril also points more towards Wahlberg's and Lesser Spotted Eagles.

The squarish tail and pointy head fits Wahlberg's Eagle best in this instance. Furthermore to that, a young Lesser Spotted Eagle would show quite a bit of white tips on the median and greater wing coverts which seems to be absent here. Tough one, but I think Wahlberg's is a good call.
675
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

User avatar
Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 3742
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Jhb

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 pm

wildtuinman wrote:The first bird has a light-colored eye. That immediately rules out Wahlberg's Eagle and young Lesser Spotted and Tawny Eagles.
Options:
1. adult Lesser Spotted Eagle
2. adult Tawny Eagle

The big bill and largish nostril makes me think that it is an adult Tawny Eagle.


Wow, back to grade 1 for me! :roll: :roll: :wink:
It just goes to show how much details there are that need to be considered when identifying these similar looking birds! :big_eyes:

User avatar
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Leeu Valley

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by DotDan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm

I agree with the first bird being a Tawny, but not so sure about the 2nd one being a Wahlberg's.

Any other photos of the second bird?

User avatar
umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Posts: 4529
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.Next trip booked.

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by umtali1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Crumbs! You guys aren't called 'fundis' for nothing. :clap: :clap: Learned something new today :dance: :dance:
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

Jesscan1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Jesscan1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Yes, I have a few more pics. I will load more pics of the bird tonight when I get home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)
Posts: 16852
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:39 am
Location: Pretoria SA

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by hilda » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Can't wait for the result! :dance: :dance:
"There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity". - Samuel Johnson.

Jesscan1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Jesscan1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi again everyone.

Here are a few more pics of eagles 1 & 2

1.

Image

Image

2.

Image

Image

Thanks to wildtuinman, Dotdan and Karen for your help.

User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by arks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 am

These ID threads are my favourites because I always learn something :thumbs_up: Thanks to our fundis for your invaluable contributions! :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
* * *
21 September-21 November Darling

User avatar
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Leeu Valley

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by DotDan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:57 am

Looking at the pics of eagle 2 I think WTM is correct with Wahlberg's, (Dark Eye, small nostrils, square tail) but the pics you posted of Eagle 1 now, for me anyway, does not look like a Tawny Eagle at all anymore.

If I had to take a guess, I would say Lesser Spotted Eagle here. The pale eye, what looks like stove pipe legs, and the bill is not really that robust as what it looks like in the first pic. I would not take this ID to the bank though as I am still not 100% sure.

This is another thing with giving ID's of brown raptors and LBJ's(little brown jobs such as cisticola's, larks and pipits) on photos, is that angles and light play a huge role in determining features you would look for to give an ID. When out in the field, it is easier to detemine size, color and other features than one would on a photo.

Jesscan1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Jesscan1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks very much DotDan.

Please would you confirm if I have ID'ed these raptors seen on the S100 near Satara on 11th Feb 2017 correctly?

3. Wahlberg's

Image

4. Tawny Eagle
Image

5. Lesser Spotted Eagle
Image

6. Lesser Spotted Eagle
Image

7. Lesser Spotted Eagle
Image

8. Lesser Spotted Eagle
Image

9. Lesser Spotted Eagle
Image

10. Lesser Spotted Eagle
Image

11. Lesser Spotted Eagle
Image

Image

Thanks very much
Jesscan1

User avatar
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4830
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 am
Location: Chasing down the rarities

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 am

DotDan wrote: but the pics you posted of Eagle 1 now, for me anyway, does not look like a Tawny Eagle at all anymore.

If I had to take a guess, I would say Lesser Spotted Eagle here. The pale eye, what looks like stove pipe legs, and the bill is not really that robust as what it looks like in the first pic. I would not take this ID to the bank though as I am still not 100% sure.


I am not even sure that the bird has a pale eye anymore on the subsequent photos. So that changes everything now. Looking again at the nostril shape, it fits the smaller eagles much better. Thus, this bird rather falls in the Wahlberg's/Lesser Spotted Eagle category. Due to what I make out to be a dark eye, it leaves us with the following options:

1. Wahlberg's Eagle
2. Immature Lesser Spotted Eagle.

The lack of white spots on the median and greater wing coverts rules out immature Lesser Spotted Eagle, the bill also seems too big for Lesser Spotted Eagle. And the square-tailed also fits Wahlberg's more.
675
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

User avatar
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Leeu Valley

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by DotDan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 am

wildtuinman wrote:
DotDan wrote: but the pics you posted of Eagle 1 now, for me anyway, does not look like a Tawny Eagle at all anymore.

If I had to take a guess, I would say Lesser Spotted Eagle here. The pale eye, what looks like stove pipe legs, and the bill is not really that robust as what it looks like in the first pic. I would not take this ID to the bank though as I am still not 100% sure.


I am not even sure that the bird has a pale eye anymore on the subsequent photos. So that changes everything now. Looking again at the nostril shape, it fits the smaller eagles much better. Thus, this bird rather falls in the Wahlberg's/Lesser Spotted Eagle category. Due to what I make out to be a dark eye, it leaves us with the following options:

1. Wahlberg's Eagle
2. Immature Lesser Spotted Eagle.

The lack of white spots on the median and greater wing coverts rules out immature Lesser Spotted Eagle, the bill also seems too big for Lesser Spotted Eagle. And the square-tailed also fits Wahlberg's more.


Ja it is a difficult one, the light is playing havoc here and the bird's feathers is all over the place.

Jesscan, I would follow Wildtuinman's verdict here, he has a bit more experience with these guys than what I do. :D

User avatar
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4830
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 am
Location: Chasing down the rarities

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am

Jesscan1 wrote:Please would you confirm if I have ID'ed these raptors seen on the S100 near Satara on 11th Feb 2017 correctly?
3. Wahlberg's


:thumbs_up:

Jesscan1 wrote:4. Tawny Eagle


:thumbs_up:

Jesscan1 wrote:5. Lesser Spotted Eagle


Wahlberg's Eagle - note the square tail and dark eye. An immature Lesser Spotted Eagle would show white markings on the greater and median wing coverts.

Jesscan1 wrote:6. Lesser Spotted Eagle


I am leaning towards another Wahlberg's Eagle here. Dark eye, illuminated by light to make it look pale and a very slender head.

Jesscan1 wrote:7. Lesser Spotted Eagle


Not easy to say from this photo, do you have another photo perhaps. My impression is that it is a Wahlberg's Eagle.

Jesscan1 wrote:8. Lesser Spotted Eagle


Another Wahlberg's in my opinion. The eye again is lightened up I reckon.

Jesscan1 wrote:9. Lesser Spotted Eagle


The light makes it very difficult, but Wahlberg's Eagle I reckon.

Jesscan1 wrote:10. Lesser Spotted Eagle


Now this one could be a Lesser Spotted Eagle. It seems to have a pale rump and I can also make out a hint of white markings on the coverts.

Jesscan1 wrote:11. Lesser Spotted Eagle


Wahlberg's. Dark eye, no white on the coverts.
675
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

User avatar
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4830
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 am
Location: Chasing down the rarities

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Here is a quick little cheat sheet to assist in eagle id'ing which I slapped together quickly now on the tablet.

Please note that there are of course many other features to consider, but this will get you to an id more often than not in a short space of time.

Image
675
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

User avatar
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4830
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 am
Location: Chasing down the rarities

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:23 pm

DotDan wrote:Jesscan, I would follow Wildtuinman's verdict here, he has a bit more experience with these guys than what I do. :D


Moet nou nie so wees nie...
675
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman


Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Webcam Highlights

Addo
Submitted by Trrp-trrrrrrrr at 11:30:20
orpen
Submitted by catch at 11:40:27
satara
Submitted by Warzi!?16 at 10:55:55
nossob
Submitted by Mischief at 08:16:47