Skip to Content

Effect of drought on Kruger Birding this february

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
WackoRhino

Effect of drought on Kruger Birding this february

Unread post by WackoRhino » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Well I did not even think to check Kruger weather before making my reservations last week. :doh:
I will be in Kruger from the 12th to the 25th and I begin to wonder what I will be able to observe. :roll:

Anybody with experience of such conditions can tell me ?

Thanks in advance for any answer :thumbs_up:
Crazy Horse's Old Man

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Re: Effect of drought on Kruger Birding this february

Unread post by George_Brits » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:02 am

My apologies for a belated reply, WackoRhino, I have been to the Kruger recently and the birdlife has been as abundant as ever.

Highbury

Unread post by Highbury » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:34 am

I was at the Honorary Rangers weekend at Punda in early February , and also drove south to north on the way there and back.Some of the areas are very dry , especially Satara to Letaba. The numbers of quelea are significantly down because of the lack of water.The number of insects is down significantly and red backed shrikes and similar birds appeared less than usual as a result. I didn't see a single white stork which was highly unusual , and lesser kestrels which were fairly abundant in recent years were absent. In my view the lack of rainfall has impacted on insect numbers and therefore numbers of seasonal migrants dependant on this. The only areas that seemed to have received normal rainfall were the extreme north and the south west. We encountered double figure numbers of dead hippo and several buffalo that seemed to have succumbed to the lack of grazing and water.

Awake

Unread post by Awake » Thu May 05, 2016 8:11 pm

I was in the Kruger this weekend. My first ever visit in April. Was struck by the lack of birds in the Satara/Olifants area. The usual summer migrants had left, but there were lots of regulars that we did not see: No Grey Hornbills, no smaller raptors, no white-crowned shrikes, a handful of lilac-breasted rollers and a single purple roller.

Is this the effect of the drought, or is there usually a lag between the departure of the migrants and the return of the residents? I have noticed in the summer than the number of lilac-breasted rollers seems to decrease.

Interestingly, once we got down to the Sabie, the bird numbers picked up considerably. I suspect because of the permanent water.

On the plus side, have never seen so many vultures. Is this because the predators are having a field day because of the drought?
Kruger 2016: :D
January: Lower Sabie
March: Olifants
April: Satara, Olifants, Lower Sabie
May: Lower Sabie
June: Talamati
July: Lower Sabie
August: Lower Sabie

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Fri May 06, 2016 2:47 pm

Look this time of year is not the best for birding. Birds are busy congregating in bird parties closer to remaining water sources but I would definitely say the drought has played a major role in bird numbers and their distribution this year.

Satara is not a very wet area in general and the drought hasn't helped so I would only think that a lot of birds are congregating around water sources such as Lower Sabie.

One migrant that was very absent this year was Montagu Harrier. Normally a very good bet around Lower Sabie and Satara but due to the lack of grass, insects and rodents, I think they stayed away from those areas.

Vultures will be having a field day for sure!!

Hopefully now that El Nino is clearing up we will have a normal rainy season and bring those numbers in again.

Awake

Unread post by Awake » Fri May 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks DotDan

Your reply makes sense. Have read somewhere that birds such as lilac-breasted roller are altitudinal migrants and return to the lowveld in greater numbers in winter. Also very striking was the extreme lack of birds in the Satara camp itself. I suspect due to the drought, the only area that is being watered is the small patch of lawn in front of the restaurant and even there were very few birds. :thumbs_up:
Kruger 2016: :D
January: Lower Sabie
March: Olifants
April: Satara, Olifants, Lower Sabie
May: Lower Sabie
June: Talamati
July: Lower Sabie
August: Lower Sabie

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”