Skip to Content

How many birds on your list

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
barryels

Re: How many birds on your list

Unread post by barryels » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:13 pm

umtali1 wrote:Very impressive Barry :clap:

Thanks umtali 1 :thumbs_up: .

It still took me 2 years and 9 months to get 103 new ticks :hmz: .
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-13 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.

Unread post by umtali1 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 pm

barryels wrote:
umtali1 wrote:Very impressive Barry :clap:

Thanks umtali 1 :thumbs_up: .

It still took me 2 years and 9 months to get 103 new ticks :hmz: .

And you're a resident :whistle: :whistle:
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:55 pm

umtali1 wrote:And you're a resident :whistle: :whistle:

Had lots that kept me busy apart from birding :wink: .
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-13 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 pm

hilda wrote:A trip to KNP yielded another 6 lifers.

African Golden Oriole :hmz: :big_eyes:
Nah! Not with me. :whistle:
I don't even have that one on my Kruger list!
728 Latest lifers: Hartlaub's babbler, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon, Malagasy pond heron, Soft-plumaged petrel, Orange-winged pytilia.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 am

We visited Zonderwater prison grounds near Cullinan yesterday. Thanks to an amazing bird behaviour expert, I was able to add 2 more 2 my list -

African Grass Owl
Red-chested Flufftail (I had 4 brief glimpses of at least 4 individual birds - 3 females and a male). I can confirm I am rather excited about this one!

Total - 446

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:00 am

Well done Karin! :clap: :clap:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:02 am

Johan van Rensburg wrote:African Golden Oriole
Nah! Not with me.
I don't even have that one on my Kruger list!

I must have been dreaming! :hmz:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:45 pm

That day that Johan v Rensburg and I spent with you and Hilda was great Barry. I think we all ticked the Caspian plover.

Pity I couldn't be with you on the last one.

However, our buddy Joh had organized a pelagic for him and I out of St Lucia, and we joined one from Durban for the preceding week. Sadly??? both were cancelled, so Joh and I had to make alternate arrangements. The news of the Egyptian vulture near Olifants hit the day I flew up from the Cape, so we decided to o to Kruger for it and others.

But on the Monday previously, a little ringed plover was seen at Vermont pan, and I twitched it, taking me to 793.

It is with great pleasure to report that the Taita falcon is back at the Strijdom Tunnel, and with a mate nogal, and is a relatively easy tick for those who lack it. A lovely fellow called Michael will locate it on the buttress and show you. It is worth greasing his appreciative palm. So I was off the mark for the trip with a great lifer, although the sighting was a bit far.

Now my world list stood at 999, as we made our way to the Punda Maria swimming pool area where we staked out the orange winged pytilia. It didn't take long for it to come and play in the little stream for my next tick and 1000 worldwide.

Elsewhere I have detailed how Joh and I dipped on the Egyptian vulture we staked out along the Olifants rive, and then we drove through the night to get to St Lucia. Next morning we walked the 3km to the tern roost and our target of the sooty tern was absent, but I was able to tick it later through the scope from the deck of the Ski Boat club, towards evening.

Next day we were off to Eshow, where I ticked the Eastern bronze naped pigeon at the third attempt. Thereafter it was off to the Ngoye Forest, the onlyplace in the region to find the green barbet. A pair came out singing as we called and this took me to 788

Lovely! Next day we went to the northern parts of the lake looking for Neergaard's sunbird, but we got a lovely pair of pink throated twinspots to tick instead. We had to wait until the next day for me to tick the Neergard's, and the following day we returned to Eshowe for the spotted ground thrush tick.791

By now we knew that the pelagic was off and there were no more birds I needed in the area so we decided to go to the Drakensberg. It was 8 degrees the next morning and we struggled to get the Drakensberg prinia for a tick. The rockjumper and siskin are at higher altitudes than the SA border post and I had no passport with me. Next day was arguably the highlight of the trip. We went to Giant's Castle to look for the bearded vulture (Lammergeier). We enjoyed a splendid buffet breakfast at the restaurant and then went looking for the said beauty near the perennially booked out hide. Even my buddy, who had seen it many times before, was impressed as we saw 5 individuals close to us in the sky at one time. We must have seen 8 birds in total. On the way back to out overnight, we eventually got a Gurney's sugarbird to take me now to 794. But tomorrow night I fly home.

We were up very early and headed to Wakkerstroom, to see how many gems we could crack there. After major efforts by Joh, we only got the Rudd's lark that I hadn't seen before.

Still, 795 is a great tally and the new dozen were brilliant one and all. As we said our brotherly farewell at the airport, I was indebted to my buddy for his friendship, and that there is another old toppie who is as daft as I am and a whole lot better birder. I am blessed.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”