Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Road access to Golden Gate mountain retreat

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 pm

cdempers,

Not sure if you have already visited the Mountain Retreat, but here is some info on your question. Not all Landrovers can reach the Retreat in winter. :tongue: :twisted: :twisted: Some will slide off the road and will only get out by the help of a recovery team.

All jokes aside the road is accessible without a 4x4 but when it snows it is not that easy to make it without hard work digging your way out. :wink:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Goronta!

We've never stayed in the Highlands Mountain Retreat before. But on our last visit (while staying at Glen Reenen), we decided to just drive up there to see what it looks like. We were driving with my father-in-law's Toyota Corola, and we did not manage to get all the way to the camp. The terrain is not too rough, but it is very steep. The old Corola'tjie lacked power... :tongue:

I just booked us in for the Highlands Mountain Retreat end April. We'll be going with our Honda CR-V this time. Will let you know how it went. Have no idea about the snow though... :hmz:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-31 July 2016 - Shingwedzi

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 am

Any feedback from people that have stayed at the Basotho Cultural Village? Might be staying there in April (not sure yet, so any info will be welcomed!)
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Goronta wrote:Hi 'mites

I'll be in Golden gate at the end of next july. :D
I'd like to book a log cottage at the Highlands Mountain retreat.
Do we need a 4x4 to reach the camp and in case of snow do they close sometimes the road ?
I think I will drive a 2x4.

Hi Goronta we stayed there once when the retreat was snowed in. You could not reach the cabins even in the best 4x4 x far. That one nearly went down the valley when the driver slipped in the snow.

We did not want to except alternative accommodation and together with the park workers dug out the snow using spades and hands to open the road. Its quite hard work but also some fun. Normally you should be fine in a 2x4, but in winter when the roads might be wet and icy its best to go up in a 4x4.

You always have the option to walk up and park below. I am sure folks staying with you will not be reluctant to help. :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 pm

We just returned from a wonderful stay at Golden Gate's Mountain Higland Retreat. It is so beautiful, so peaceful, just one of the best places I've stayed at of SANParks! :dance:

The drive to the top can be done without 4x4, for sure. You need a relatively strong engine to get up the steep slopes - I wouldn't try it with a 1100cc little car... :tongue: Our CR-V was just fine, Goronta! :thumbs_up: I have never been in Golden Gate when it snows, and I think snow doesn't occur there too often, but in winter, I guess it could be a gamble. I have been in Golden Gate before in winter without snow, and I can guarantee you that it will be icy cold! Even now in Autumn it was very cold. But luckily the log cabins are very well catered for in that case - with heaters and a lovely fireplace. :thumbs_up:

We will definitely be back. In summer... :tongue:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-31 July 2016 - Shingwedzi

Jeffrey52

Golden Gate

Unread post by Jeffrey52 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:02 am

Hi
We'll be staying at Highlands Mountain Retreat in about a week - want to know if there are any breakfast spots like Afsaal in Kruger.
Thanks
Jeff

gatita
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Golden Gate

Unread post by gatita » Sun May 31, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Jeff,

there is a picnic site off the main road in Golden Gate but it is not like Afsaal. There is no take away, no shop and they don't hire out skottle braais. I think they have regular braais though but I did not really pay attention :redface: You could probably check at reception.

If you have a look here, you can see part of the picnic site in the second picture birding bearded vultures in the Berg

As far as I know there is a restaurant at the hotel. We did not visit the cultural village. Thus I don't know whether there is another picnic site or restaurant.

Enjoy your trip :D
back from KTP November 2015 waiting for November 2016
visiting a green park again – Kruger NP March 2015

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun May 31, 2015 9:31 pm

The closest will be the Hotel or head out to Clarens town that caters for tourist with many places to choose from.

We normally do a short hike in the morning and head out for lunch to Clarens. Good stop for beer too. :great:

Darwin

Unread post by Darwin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:27 am

Hi Jeff,

If your staying at the Mountain Retreat... the view and tranquillity from your patio makes for an excellent picnic spot... Wish I was there again... it is lovely!! Hiking, horse riding, a visit to Clarens and having a fireplace in your chalet... :mrgreen:

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Meriteng pick nick site has regular braai facilities, but no skottel braais.

There are two places just outside of GG (1 or 2 km) on the way to Clarence which can offer you a nice meal.

I can also recommend a guided walk to the Cathedral caves. Ask at reception.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

nancybsimmons

Golden Gate: Highlands Mountain Retreat?

Unread post by nancybsimmons » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:39 pm

I will be visiting Golden Gate Highlands NP with my family early in September next year. It will be our last stop in South Africa. Is it worth paying the high rates to spend our last night in a log cabin at Highlands Mountain Retreat? I know it is quite high elevation there..... will it likely be too cold/dry to be worthwhile? I am torn between the wonderful setting and worrying that it may be a bit too dreary, and that we would be happier down in the valley (while paying less). Yet I don't want to pass it up if it really is a special place that time of year. Any advice would be appreciated!
Nancy

August 2016
Kruger: Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Bushmans Wilderness Trail, Satara, Olifants, Punda Maria
Kgalagadi: Urikaruus, Kalahari Tented Camp, Nossob, Bitterpan
Also Mapungubwe, Marakele, Augrabies Falls, Mokala, and Golden Gate NPs

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden Gate: Highlands Mountain Retreat?

Unread post by Hugh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Hello there I will make another suggestion How about trying to book at the Basothu Cultural Village . they have the most delightful fully equipped Huts with view to die for .. there are I think three huts set in a group with a central braai area so the whole family can join in or each unit has a weber braai . The village is about 2kms from the main road We stayed there and would love to go again for a longer period , We could watch the black wildebeest and Zebras and other buck in the valley below . It is self catering September should be warm and there are extra blankets if you need them .
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Here are some photos
Of the huts they look rough on the outside but a surprise awaits you inside
sunset from the accommodation
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:42 am

I agree with Hugh - the Basotho Village is very nice. We were due to stay there last year but there was a fire and the electricity was knocked out and the camp was closed. We did, however, go up and have a look at it.

We saw the Mountain Retreat from a distance and it is very remote, but looks down on the valley below.

Just one word of warning - do not book at the Glen Reenen Camp - it is right on a main road and, as a result, noisy. We were put there when the Basotho Village was closed and after one night we managed to move to a chalet at the hotel - a little further away from the main road and quite OK.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:47 am

Mountain Retreat is very special. But, if you are there for one night, it could be misty (it was for us when we stayed there in an October) and you will miss the amazing views. If it is clear, then it is really worth it.

I like the suggestion of the Basotho Village :thumbs_up: We loved our stay there.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Northern Parks”