Marakele: GETTING THERE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Roads To Marakele

Unread post by PNF » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:21 am

The R516 (Bela Bela to R511 Thabazimbi road) is still very narrow for the first 35kms out of Bela Bela. The shoulder is crumbling in places and occassionally there are small potholes but these seem to be patched up fairly quickly. The last 60 odd kms to the junction is in a reasonable condition and carries far less traffic as there are fewer game lodges etc. on that stretch. The R511 Brits to Thabazimbi is in a reasonable condition with the worst stretch being through the mines - from Brits to roughly up to the Northam turn-off.
We have not travelled the Rooiberg road recently but understand that this gravel road is very corrugated in places and is in desperate need of scraping - any update from anyone who has travelled it recently would be appreciated.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:30 am

In the past I have used the R510 instead of the R511, its in much better condition generally
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Nina!

Unread post by Nina! » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am

PNF and Josh of the Bushveld,

Thank you very much for your advice.

Bushbuddies,

We are looking forward to meeting you :D
Yes, we will go to KTP afterwards. A magical place :D

See you,
Nina

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 am

Great Dane wrote:Maybe slightly longer - but I recommend N1 up to Bela Bela (Warmbaths). Then R516/R511 to Thabazimbi.

N1 to Bela Bela is also not very interesting but at least in good condition. The R516 part from Bela Bela is quite nice going though Game Farms and Nature Reserves, we have seen everything from Sable to Rhino along the road on that drive. Besides that, although narrow-ish the road is in great condition with very limited traffic once past the Zebula/Mabula turn off.

All the best, Michael

We used this road last weekend - and it was in good condition and an easy drive! Would also recommend it. Took us about 2hr 40min fro Centurion to Marakele. :thumbs_up:
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

E Orix

Directions to Marakele

Unread post by E Orix » Sat May 10, 2014 3:42 pm

In Sept we will be driving from White River to Marakele NP
What is the better roads to take, South towards Pretoria or some other set of directions.
Has anyone got any idea of approx. travelling time required.
Any advice would be very helpful.

africawildlife.nl

Re: Directions to Marakele

Unread post by africawildlife.nl » Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi there,

I would take N4 to Pretoria, N1 up to Bela Bela, follow Thabazimbi. It's a long drive. I think it will take you about 6 hours or even more.
27 april - 2 may 2013: South of Kruger (Marloth Park & Skukuza)
2-6 may: Timbavati GR
8-10 may: Madikwe GR

E Orix

Unread post by E Orix » Sat May 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Thank you for the post.
I must admit I am not looking forward to the drive.
It's not that easy driving in another country, I guess what you generally arrive at
makes it worth while
Sept 8th until the 29th in Kruger NP then to Marakele NP

annapangolin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annapangolin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Can I just add to this?

I'm also traveling from that side of the world (Lydenburg) to Marakele this weekend. I can't seem to find any info about the back roads and would rather not travel over to Pretoria and up on the main highways. Last time I popped in to Pretoria for an hour I got an etoll bill for almost R300 :(

Does anybody know about the state of other roads like the R33? I'm not too concerned with the time it takes to get there, but don't want to be dealing with too many potholes.

Should I just get over it and drive through the big, scary city? I'm driving home through there anyway.

Any advice? Thanks?

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 pm

E Orix:

We returned from the Hoedspruit area two days ago. Would suggest if coming from White River take the N4 to Middelburg, then the N11 through Loskop;Groblersdal and Marble Hall. About 19kms north of Marble Hall turn onto the R33 to Modimolle. In Modimolle take the R101 to Bela Bela and then follow the Thabazimbi road - R516. There are roadworks and diversions in Bela Bela as they are (finally!) repairing this road. Middelburg to Modimolle ia about 3 hours; Modimolle to Thabazimbi about 2 hours - don't know how long it takes from White River to Middelburg (we went via Lydenburg) but would guess about 3 hours.

Annapangolin:

Lydenburg/Ohrigstad/Dulstroom/Belfast does have potholes but it is a lot more preferable to go that route than to pay E-toll. Travel the N4 to Middelburg and then follow above directions. Lydenburg to N4 took us about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Travel safely both of you!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

EddieL

Re: Marakele: GETTING THERE

Unread post by EddieL » Sun May 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Driving from central Kruger, what is the fastest route to Tlopi?

Johan K

Unread post by Johan K » Tue May 19, 2015 1:50 pm

From where in central Kruger?

Jenna Stelli

Unread post by Jenna Stelli » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi All

I am new to the forums, but have been a fan of the various SANParks for ages, so hi All! :)

We are travelling for the first time to Marakele over the easter weekend, and are really looking forward to it!

From reading this post, it sounds as though the best way to get there from Johannesburg, is via the N1 to Bela-bela. However, I am worried that this road will be very busy at this time of year because of all the people travelling to Moira for the easter weekend. Can anyone give me an update on the state of the R511 via Britz, has it been repaired, or is it still as bad as mentioned in previous posts?

Thanks!
Jenna

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:30 pm

Hi Jenna Stelli and welcome to the forums :gflower:

Most roads will probably be busy so please take care.

I am not sure of the condition of the R511.

Not sure where in Johannesburg you will be leaving from but you could also investigate travelling via Magaliesburg and Rustenburg. Just a thought.

Perhaps someone who has travelled this routesrecently could let us know the condition of that road and give some advice. I haven't been along there for ages.
Rose

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:44 am

First of all, welcome to the SANParks forums Jenna Stelli :gflower: .

I would avoid the R511 as it is badly potholed between Brits and Beestekraal.

I would rather take the N1 to be safe to Bela Bela and then take the R516 from Bela Bela to Thabazimbi. Note that roadworks are in progress from the N1 off-ramp onto the R516 to Bela Bela. A deviation is in use and stop and go controls are in progress. Delays of approximately 20 min can be expected at every stop. The rest of the road from Bela-Bela to Thabazimbi is potholed in places but not as badly potholed as the R511.

I would not recommend the R510 as I am sure the road will be quite busy too, this is now the road that runs from Rustenburg via Northam to Thabazimbi, the road condition is quite good, but I would rather stick to the N1/Bela Bela/R516

May you have a wonderful and safe trip!! Please share your pictures with us

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

We travelled the N1/R516 to Bela Bela last week and there were no road works in progress although there were indications that something was going on! In Bela Bela itself there are serious roadworks (which may have been partially completed by now!) between the SuperSpar and towards the Bela Bela Hospital. Stop/Go are in use on this stretch. Once out of Bela Bela the road is good all the way to the R511 junction.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Northern Parks”