Skip to Content

Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
stephan groen

Re: Marakele: ADVICE

Unread post by stephan groen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 am

It seems as if you would have to trust the luck of the draw. We camped there over a weekend in July 2012 and the temperatures were mild.
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars."

13-16 June: Mopani

19-21 Sept: Mata Mata
22-23 Sept: Nossob
24-26 Sept: Twee Rivieren

RichardS

Unread post by RichardS » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Schnooks wrote:- What are the temparatures like in July

Hi Shnooks,

TreeMouse & I camped there at the end of May last year (2013). The days were absolutely fine, but the nights were seriously cold. The moment the sun went down, out came the blankets and we managed to huddle around a fire for a short hour or 2 while we cooked supper.

We were prepared for sleeping in the cold though and took a simple 220v air heater with a thermostat with us (R 100 at Makro). Popped that in the tent, set the thermostat and within 30 seconds of getting into bed were quite toasty. We both have -3 degree sleeping bags & beanies as well, so I'm sure that helped.

If you are prepared for the cold, I'm sure 5 days would not be a problem,

Cheers

Richard
"The real adventure begins in earnest when things go a little wrong....." - Bear Grylls
16/12 Mokala NP
17/12 - 21/12 Karoo NP
30/12 - 02/01 Bontebok NP
02/01 - 07/01 Mountain Zebra NP
07/01 - 10/01 Mokala NP

Drakie

Unread post by Drakie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi everybody,

We will be visiting Marakele in a weeks time. Very excited, as this is our first trip to Marakele, camping at Bontle, with the kids.

Just a few question, and hoping for some help. Can't wait to set up camp, and just relax. As we understand, there is no shops or gas stations in Marakele, but only at Thabazimbi. We normally take all our goodies with when we go camping, but sometimes in need of ice and fire wood. Is any sold in the camp or not?

Thanx
* Marakele: 28 Apr - 1 May 2014
* Tsendze: 7 - 12 July 2014

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread post by JenB » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Drakie,

There is a tiny little shop at the entrance gate and they usually have ice and firewood. The closest petrol stop unfortunately is in Thabazimbi.
Having said that, Marakele is only 15km from town.

Enjoy your first visit!
I know you'll fall in love with Bontle! :)
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

wild cat

Unread post by wild cat » Wed May 21, 2014 11:53 am

My family and I have just spent the weekend in Marekela staying in the Motswere Guest House. The roads were perfectly fine although quite sandy. We travelled 26k without seeing an animal until an Elephant blocked the road! He kept us waiting 25 minutes before moving off into the bush. Another kilometre and we reached the guest house. It is fully fenced with a lot of land for the children to get rid of their energy! There are beautiful views of the mountain and the house is very well equipped and comfortable.

The next day we drove up the mountain and the scary drive was worth it when we got to the top and the views were magnificent. There were Dassies on the top and apart from them and a beautiful male kudu we didn't see any other animals that day. We did get some different birding ticks though... and we saw lots of Vultures which was great.

We drove to the very nice picnic site the next morning and had our breakfast there and had a look in the bird hide. We had a drive around the area near the gate and encountered more general game... Impala, Zebra, Wildebeest, Kudu, Hartbeest and Warthogs.

Marekela is a very beautiful reserve .. the birding was good, the accommodation was excellent but the animals were scarce.

Schnooks

Unread post by Schnooks » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:36 pm

hi All

Sorry if this has been answered in previous posts but I just need some clarification

Bontle is unfenced - how does that work with the ellies / lions etc?

Thanks

RichardS

Unread post by RichardS » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi Schnooks,

No Ellies or lions in that part of the park. They are in another part of the park that is kept separate from the lower portion by a fence.

Rhino's do, however, frequent the Bontle campsite. Take a camera with!!!!!

Cheers

Richard
"The real adventure begins in earnest when things go a little wrong....." - Bear Grylls
16/12 Mokala NP
17/12 - 21/12 Karoo NP
07/01 - 10/01 Mokala NP

RichardS

Re: Wildcard at the Gate of Marakele NP

Unread post by RichardS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:55 am

tim6281 wrote:Hi everybody,

is it possible to buy the Wildcard at the gate of Marakele NP?
If yes, are there any other things to consider like no credit card possible.

Thanks in advance :thumbs_up:

Hi Tim,

We bought our initial WildCard at the Marakele gate several yeas ago. As it's out in the wild, there are always going to be credit card challenges, but with Thabazimbi 16 km away, if the card machine is not working, you can go and get cash quite quickly.

Cheers

Richard
16/12 Mokala NP
17/12 - 21/12 Karoo NP
07/01 - 10/01 Mokala NP

offroadbiker

Unread post by offroadbiker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:55 am

RichardS wrote:
offroadbiker wrote:Seeing there is still a lot of vacancies so was wondering if there is a specific few camping spots that could be suggested by the members to ask for?

Also planning on doing the Eco 4x4 route, anybody done this where the route falls inbetween camping dates - ie is there place to leave the trailer behind for the 3 days of the eco route?
D

Hi offroadbiker,

I don't think you can book a specific campsite. It's more of a "See what's available when you get there". We have always camped in the first loop. Campsites 1 through 5 seem to be well positioned and flat with some shade. I seem to recall campsite 2 having the best view of the waterhole, but all the campsites on that side seem quite well positioned for viewing.

Not too sure about places to leave the trailer while you do the eco route. Suggest you contact the reception by phone. They are really helpfull and will probably find somewhere for you to park the trailer......

Cheers

Richard

Tx
Live to Ride, ride to live!!

wharthog

Unread post by wharthog » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey guys!

New to the forum, planning a trip to Marakele in November. After reading this thread I am very excited! :D

I have booked for three nights at Tlopi camp, and asked to reserve unit no.8/9/10 - obviously the good ones, as they were all already taken!
So just a quick question for those of you that have been before, which other units can you recommend, should I book no.7 or instead go for those at the other end of the line (no. 1 or 2)?

Thanks in advance!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

TornaDouw

Unread post by TornaDouw » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum wharthog! :D

We stayed in tent 8 in September 2012 and it was really nice. You are a lot closer to the flat area at the inlet of the dam where most of the animals come to drink water. A herd of elephants came to drink water and one even grazed between our tent and tent 9! :shock:

We were at Marakele this past weekend and we requested to stay in tent 8 again but it was already occupied and we were allocated to tent 2. It is further away from the drinking area but you can still see it. We saw three large Kudu bulls to the left of the dam on the dam wall. A couple of Kudu cows and a Fish Eagle also came to drink right on the opposite site of tent two. We also saw fireflies next to the water right below us. We had a great time and the atmosphere at Tlopi was wonderful!

I took this photo from the deck at tent 2 this past weekend:

wharthog

Unread post by wharthog » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 am

Hi TornaDouw

Thanks so much for the advice! Cool to hear that you had the elephants right down at the tents on your previous visit. The fact that Tlopi is unfenced is very appealing, I like the idea of game watching from the comfort of a chair with a nice cold drink in hand! :D

Great to see the photo from unit 2, gives me a better idea of the view you have from the deck. It looks stunning! Now I really cant wait! :dance:

(Trip report to follow in November)
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Sylvi-Ann

Unread post by Sylvi-Ann » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi,

We are travelling to Marakele park this Friday to spend the weekend at the Motswere guesthouse. However with the schools releasing the final exam dates and times, it has come to our knowledge that we might only be able to leave Pretoria at 15:00. Will we still be able to reach Thabazimbi and book in to the park in time and what if we don't reach the reception before 18:00?
Sylvi-Ann Nelmapius
Novice birder and lover of KNP
:think:

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:18 pm

I suggest you telephone the Reception at Marakele and ask them. Motswere Guest House is a long drive from the Reception and I don't know if they will allow you to drive through the park after hours. Phone and ask them.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

RichardS

Unread post by RichardS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Sylvi-Ann,

I've done this trip several times, leaving from Sandton, Johannesburg at 14h30 on a Friday afternoon and am able to make the gate quite easily by 17h30 and it often takes us an hour just to get past Pretoria.

So leaving at 15h00 from Pretoria should be fine.

I would call the gate just as you leave and let them know that you might be a little late though. The crew at Marakele have always been accommodating and understand that the traffic catches us out some times....

Cheers & have a great time in my favourite SanPark.....
16/12 Mokala NP
17/12 - 21/12 Karoo NP
07/01 - 10/01 Mokala NP

Return to “Northern Parks”