Skip to Content

Marakele-Cheetahs and other rare sightings

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
Laeveldkind

Marakele-Cheetahs and other rare sightings

Unread post by Laeveldkind » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi Guys
I am new on the forums and am really loving it so I thought I just must share some good news with everyone. Hope this is not old news for some but in December 2014, 2 Cheetah's were released in the private northern sector(Marataba) of the park. These cheetah's have already been reported to have visited the public section Marakele on occasion and then venturing back north. They are expecting some females and more males soon. It would be great to hear if anybody has seen these cheetah maybe. Any other rare sighting's such as brown hyena etc would be great to hear about and naturally we want to see pics. :cam: :D :mrgreen:
All the best guys and looking forward to hearing about some great sightings. :thumbs_up:
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more.

barryels

Re: Marakele-Cheetahs and other rare sightings

Unread post by barryels » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Laeveldkind,

I don't recall that anybody saw cheetah in Marakele yet, however to see what sightings was encountered at Marakele,

'Mites normally report their sightings by means of trip reports and not in a separate topic.

I would suggest that you read 'mites trip reports that you will find Here.

Also read the following trip report: THE MAGIC OF MARAKELE MAY 2014 that is not yet on the index to get an idea of the wonderful sightings at Marakele :thumbs_up: .

Regards
Barryels
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

Laeveldkind

Unread post by Laeveldkind » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks Barry
I will certainly have a look.
I heard from Marataba lodge themselves that the two Cheetahs they released have ventured into the public parts of the park on occasion. I do not know if they have tracking collars or if they are getting this info from rangers/guides. Started this thread to just test the waters and see if any of the members have seen them. I think it would be awesome if someone did and shared it with fellow 'mites.
:thumbs_up:
Regards
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Maybe I will see them during our first visit to Marakele at the end of August 2015 :hmz: :D .
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

Laeveldkind

Unread post by Laeveldkind » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:28 am

Would be great if you did. My GF and I are also going for our first visit to Marakele from 10-13 August after which we are heading for our first Mapungubwe trip and then her first trip to the northern parts of Kruger. We will certainly be keeping a lookout for those cheetah. :D
Will do a trip report as soon as we get back. :thumbs_up: :dance:

TornaDouw

Unread post by TornaDouw » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi Laeveldkind.

We will be in Marakele next weekend and we will definitely be looking out for the Cheetah!

I saw a post on the Marakele Facebook page where some lucky person spotted an Aardvark in Marakele-twice!

:D

Laeveldkind

Unread post by Laeveldkind » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:50 am

Hope you have a great trip TornaDouw :thumbs_up:
Really awesome lucky sighting of an Aardvark :big_eyes: :D
Holding thumbs for you on those cheetah. :thumbs_up:
Remember we want lots of :cam: so we can al become :mrgreen: and a full trip report would be great. :gflower: :thumbs_up:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:04 am

I like your enthusiasm Laeveldkind, and am looking forward to your trip report of all three parks upon your return! :clap: :clap:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

TornaDouw

Unread post by TornaDouw » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:05 am

We didn't see any Cheetah but we were very fortunate to see some Marakele Lions! :dance:

Return to “Northern Parks”