Skip to Content

Otter Trail

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:52 pm

The first post on this page would seem to answer your question... a bit...
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Josh. W

Re: Otter trail - equipment

Unread post by Josh. W » Tue May 01, 2007 3:45 pm

tigerclaw wrote:Hi,

We are doing the otter trail in September 2007 (other than this we have only really done a couple of day hikes)

What equipment do we need?

Pans and pots?
What size backpack do you recommend?
Are hiking boots a necessity or will trail shoes do?
What about mini gas stoves?
What about hiking poles to help knees along?
I am thinking about taking a kiddies inflatable pool to float our gear across any rivers if necessary :)

Thanks

Hi Tigerclaw.
Hopefully I will be able to help you.
A group of 6 and I did the Otter Trail a few years back. I have also done a fair amount of high altitude hikes as well as lengthy Drakensberg day hikes.
As you are carrying a pack over the entire trail, I would suggest 2 small-ish pots, and necessary cutlery and crockery.
[one pot larger than the other]
Trail Shoes are probably a good idea for evenings and beach walking, in particular the last day, but well worn hiking boots are well worth taking for ankle support. Gas stoves are quite vital, depending on the size of the group 2-3 should do it.
Hiking poles are very very useful!!!!!! The walk can be tough on the knees, esp. day 2 and 3.
A floating device might help crossing the Bloukrans River but if you check the tides at Storms River and can time your crossing effectively you will save A LOT of extra unnecessary, painful weight, the less you carry the better, trust me.

If there's anything else I can help with drop me an email with pleasure-- jaws.lbw@gmail.com
the Woosh...
Letaba & Mopani, 27-30 Sep!!

Pangea

Snakes/Leopard on the Otter trail

Unread post by Pangea » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:03 am

Hi

I am doing the Otter trail for the first time in September. I have done lots of reading up about it, however, I have not found sufficient information on what the likelihood is to come across snakes and/or leopard on the trail and what actions to take if I do (I like to be well prepared).

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly
Pangea
"Always do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi Pangea & welcome to the forum.

To be well prepared against the very unlikely event of coming across a leopard or snakes, I would take a camera.

Most snakes, except adders, will hear your party coming and will get out of your way. Adders just lie where they are. Just don't get too close and leave them alone. Don't tease or interfere with them in any way.
Leopards - wow if you are lucky enough to see the Cape mountain leapard, that will be stunning. Leopards are curious and might see you from a distance. The local leopard is a lot smaller than its Kruger cousin and does not see man as prey, I am told. If it does come close, stand behind a child, as they will normally go for the easest target. :twisted:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Senyetse » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:39 pm

:lol: Yes keep your eyes peeled for adders but I doubt you will even see a snake. The most I have ever seen of a snake on a trail is a fleeting glimpse of one getting the hell out of there!

As for leopards, I wonder if anyone has ever seen a leopard on the Otter trail. In that part of the world leopards are extremely secretive and are very very rarely seen.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Pangea

Unread post by Pangea » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:56 pm

Thanks BB & Senyetse,

You have eased my concerns somewhat. I will still keep my eyes peeled, but at least I should be a lot calmer. The question about the leopard was primarily due to the fact that it is the first animal listed under the "Wildlife that may be encountered on the trail" section of the Otter trail info brochure that I have received.

Guess I could always take my running shoes with :wink:

Thanks kindly,
Pangea
"Always do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Snakes/Leopard on the Otter trail

Unread post by wildtuinman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:11 am

Leopards and snakes first reaction is to get the hell away from us humans. Leopard hates being seen. The only snake that might be a problem is the puffadder, but September in the Garden route is still quite chilly and really not a good time for snakes. No need to worry bout this too much.

mateklongse

Otter Web Site

Unread post by mateklongse » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate enough to do the Otter trail twice, once in Nov 2005 and the other time in Jan 2006.

After being back I created a virtual hiking trail for the Otter on my website. Every day is described, presented by images, mapped and provided with links for bookings and tariffs.

However, I'm running out of wording, so maybe we can complete this together.

Gunsmoke

Otter trail Bloukrans crossing

Unread post by Gunsmoke » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:49 am

Hi there,
We have finished the Otter yesterday 07 Jan...With regards to the Bloukrans river crossing...A survival bag is an absolute must...There is no way that you can walk or wade through without your bag getting wet. You WILL DEFINITELY need a survival bag to float your bag and a fair distance of SWIMMING is required! Good luck. We had to escape because we did not have bags and were most disappointed, esp since the other group of hikers managed very well with their bags.
4 Otters and 2 Beavers

Gazza777

Weather Conditions in April

Unread post by Gazza777 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi all,

We're doing the Otter in the beginning of April 2008. This will be my 4 attempt, while only actually finishing once. Bailed out twice - food/water poisoning (not at all pleasant and warning to USE the water purifications tabs) and last time we pulled out due to an inaccessible Bloukrans - was low tide, but simly too dangerous to cross.

Anyway, so we're doing it again, and I'm wondering what sort of weather to expect in April?

Thanx
Gazza

Jazil
Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere

Unread post by Jazil » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Weather in April, should be rather pleasant, but these days who can predict what the weather is going to be like anywhere.
Don't forget to PM any Mod your Kudu nominations for the month.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

eddyeddy

Otter trail

Unread post by eddyeddy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Who can me give some special tips concerning the equipment for the otter trip. Exspecially which type of gas/fule cannisters are commun are and where I can buy it? I start the trip beginning of march and I'm still happy
Eddy

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by restio » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:34 am

Hi eddyeddy, and welcome to the forums. The Otter Trail sounds like a wonderful experience!

There is a topic devoted to the Otter Trail - I suggest that you read through it.

You might also be interested in Herman's Otter Trail trip report.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

blowin

Otter Trail

Unread post by blowin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:56 pm

On a visit to Tsitsikamma about eight years ago we walked the first section of the Otter Trail and swam under the waterfall. Is it still OK to walk the first section without booking, and is it still safe to swim in the waterfall-lake? Many thanks

Return to “Garden Route Parks”