Skip to Content

Tsitsikamma: ADVICE

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness
Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Katja » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:51 pm

I have been there twice, in 2000 and 2001. We camped at Storm's River Mouth Restcamp.
You can put up your tent so that the first thing you see when you leave your tent in the morning is the ocean. It is an absolutely wonderful place - one of my favourite places in South Africa!

We walked the first part of the Otter Trail, to a waterfall whose name I forgot. It is a very beautiful hike along the ocean. Some parts of it could be a bit difficult because you walk on rocks and have to climb a little. But it's worth the effort.

Here are links to 2 pictures I took when I was there.

Tsitsikamma
www.wildlifephotos.dk/southafrica2/toad1.html
KTP: October 2016
KNP: March 2017

Meg
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meg » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:08 am

DVZ, it's a beautiful place, we spent part of our honeymoon there. Just make sure to pack plenty of energy as there's so much to do!

We didn't even realise they had huts until we got there, so we were staying a little down the coast, however we won't make that mistake again! The huts seemed very reasonably priced (wish I could remember the exact figure) and some looked right out onto the rocks where the waves were breaking spectacularly!

There's a nice little bay for snorkeling, which is well worth doing (just keep a t-shirt on to avoid massive sunburn - LOL). Just outside the park there is an adventure centre with Treetop Canopy Tours (3 hours spent in an abseiling harness sliding on cables from one tree to another - unreal adrenalin rush!), black water tubing, quad biking, etc. The black water tubing was especially excellent - it goes down the Storms River to the mouth, through the park. The water is black with tannin from the tree roots. Just wait until the day after you've done the tubing to go shark spotting from the bridge over the mouth :lol: :lol:
Mothers hold their children's hands for a while and their hearts forever

gwendolen
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gwendolen » Wed May 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Here is the page for the trails in Tsitsikamma. I haven't been there yet or done a trail, so I can't really help, but there's lots of info on the page and there are quite a few links too. I don't think age is a problem on these trails. (They are not like the ones in Kruger, DQ.)

User##

Getting from storms river village to storm river mouth ??

Unread post by User## » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Hey all, i want to spend a few days at storm river mouth in september but i'll be using the baz bus which i believe drops passengers off at storms river village. Apparently there's no public transportation to storm river mouth... is there any way to get down there and back without your own car ? is there a car service in storm river village ? how much would it cost ?
any help much appriciated
Last edited by User## on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike-by-the-sea

Tsitsikamma Advice Needed

Unread post by mike-by-the-sea » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:03 pm

Two questions that maybe someone can help us with!

Firstly we will be visiting Tsitsikamma for a couple of days in January 06, and are looking for an itinerary or ideas for a couple of not very fit fifty-somethings!! (and one a pro photographer carrying kit!)

Has anyone experienced the various 'adventure' activities on offer and if so what is recommended - but suitable for us? bunjee and swinging about looks great but no longer for us!!! and we are walkers but not serious hikers... has anyone done the overnight experience? 4 x 4 trail? boat trips? any other (polite) suggestions welcomed! incidentally, the e-mail address info@tsitsikamma.info as advertised is defunct. any other contact e-mails?

ditto in wilderness??? (eden adventures reply and are very helpful!)

many thanks from mike

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:18 pm

Hi Mike - I have not done any of the adventure activities that you have mentioned except for the one walking trail at Storms River, so I am not really going to be of much help to you with regard to answering your questions. There are many short nature trails to do which will keep you fairly busy. Just one thing to keep in mind, the area is extremely busy in January - especially if it is early January. Later in the month it will be quieter. Trails are then very busy and I am not sure what sort of photographs you will get of birds etc. Obviously the scenery is very beautiful so good photo opportunities there. We spend time in the area each year in January - and with our wonderful SA summer in full swing, the beaches and lagoons are the places to be! There is a safe swimming beach at Storms River.

I must just add that the trail we do is not strenuous at all - mostly along a boardwalk and then across the suspension bridge at the river mouth.
- Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:53 pm

Late January is better (also think the weather is better then) - early January along the Garden Route = congested!! :lol:

The walk I am talking about starts at the beach which is at the Storms River mouth. Once you have driven 'down' to the camp, which is also situated at the river mouth the beach and walk will be really easy to find. This particular walk goes up to a cave (not nice smelling) and as I said earlier to the suspension bridge and you can walk on further from there if wish. To be on holiday in that area in summer = heaven!!!!

Keep a look out for the beautiful Knysna Lourie! You should also see dolphins.
- Dalene

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Tsitsikama

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:29 am

mike-by-the-sea wrote:Two questions that maybe someone can help us with!

Firstly we will be visiting Tsitsikamma for a couple of days in January 06, and are looking for an itinerary or ideas for a couple of not very fit fifty-somethings!! (and one a pro photographer carrying kit!)

Has anyone experienced the various 'adventure' activities on offer and if so what is recommended - but suitable for us? bunjee and swinging about looks great but no longer for us!!! and we are walkers but not serious hikers... has anyone done the overnight experience? 4 x 4 trail? boat trips? any other (polite) suggestions welcomed! incidentally, the e-mail address info@tsitsikamma.info as advertised is defunct. any other contact e-mails?

ditto in wilderness??? (eden adventures reply and are very helpful!)

many thanks from mike

Mike, I have done several short hikes in the Wilderness area. Some more strenious than others. But it is excellent!! It is one of my favourite places to go and walk. Birding is prolific in the Wilderness NP.

You can also grab a canoe from the Eden Adventures and take a lazy ride in the river. There is also fishing opportunities.

What a great nature conservancy. :D
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

HS

Unread post by HS » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi Mike

The park is quite big and you can take many walks. It is also very nice just to sit still and enjoy the view (the waves crashing against the rocks). You can also drive to Stormsriver Village (+- 10km), the Big Tree, Stormsriver Bridge, Plettenberg Bay, Natures Valley for some sightseeing. You will definately enjoy your stay.

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Traveltime by car PE -> Tsitsikamma Storms River Mout

Unread post by Toddelelfe » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:56 pm

Sander wrote:Hi,

We booked a flight on November 4th to PE, arriving 15:10. We would like to pick up our rental car (we will probably need about an extra hour to do so) and drive straight to Tsitsikamma, Storms River Mouth Camp, the same (late) afternoon.
Is this feasable?
We wouldn't like to drive in the dark and we should probably arrive before the park gate closes?
The routeplanner (Shell Geostar) says it's about 1:30 hrs, so it looks like it's possible... not much time allowance for a delayed flight though! :?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sander

I couldn't remember my own travel time. But if i remeber correctly, you can do it in 2 hours.
This took i from SANPark:
Gate opening and closing times: 07:00 - 19:00
Security service 19:00 - 07:00
Visitors with reserved accommodation who arrive after 18:00 may collect their keys to their accommodation at the entrance gate.

So, i think, give them an Email for your late arrival.

Have a joyful stay.
No mission on the way :( :wall: :oops: :bmp:

2016 TR from KNP

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:47 am

PE to Storms River is about 150km. You also need to allow yourself time to drive through the city itself, so a min of 2 hours I would say. It is a very nice road and it should still be light at 7pm. TE has posted the rest of the info you need.
- Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:49 am

Sander wrote:When you say we have to drive through the city, do you mean the airport is on the other (east) side of PE? Is there no way to avoid the city center?

The airport is very close to the beach area in PE - you don't actually drive through the city centre and it is fairly easy to find your way out of PE. (I'll pm you directions if you like. I don't live in PE but near by and am fairly familar with the area and do have a map.) But you do drive through the built up area for a good bit. I am sure the Storms River camp manager will be very accommodating.
- Dalene

Sander

Unread post by Sander » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:56 pm

DinkyBird wrote:Are you flying into PE on a local flight or an international one? It is not the biggest airport on the planet - big enough, but you should be processed fairly quickly and even if your flight is delayed I am sure you will be at Storms River before 7pm.

Thanks DinkyBird for your info! Very helpful.

We are flying to PE from Durban, on a national flight. That should save some time too.

I'm interested in receiving the route discription from you, but I'm new on this forum. How do I enable for you to send me a personal message?

Sander

Unread post by Sander » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:27 pm

DinkyBird wrote:We are assuming you are not from SA Stander?

Nope... I'm from the Netherlands, preparing our trip for October/November. We'll be in SA for 3 weeks, driving JNB - Kruger - Hluhluwe/St.Lucia - Durban, then flying to PE and driving to Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Plettenberg, Oudtshoorn, Agulhas, Hermanus, Cape Town and staying with friends in CPT for the last few days.

This website is great; very helpful and functional!

cheveley

mountainbiking

Unread post by cheveley » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:08 pm

quick one - can one ride mountainbikes in the Tsitsikamma National Park? are there any trails, how far etc?

thanks

Return to “Garden Route Parks”