Otter Trail- Info and Advice

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness
Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Otter Trail

Unread post by Albert » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Yoda,
On the website of the Garden route National park, under "actvities" there is a link w.r.t the Otter trail.Answers questions regarding bedding etc etc.
IMHO you have equal chances to experience bad weather in April and October. Tsitsikamma is not known as "the place of much water" for nothing!
Latest lifers: House Crow, Grey-backed Cisticola, Ludwig's Bustard, Tractrac Chat, African Reed Warbler, Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi yoda I've done the trail many years ago, but the weather should still be the same and the accommodation also more or less the same. So let me try to answer a few of your questions:

yoda wrote:H
The father-in-law and i were discussing the possibility of doing the Otter Trail.
Most likely in April or October of 2015.
Which of these 2 options would be best?

I've walked the trail in the summer and winter and basically came to the conclusion that you will get rain no matter when you do the trail. My weather prediction for winter is 4 sunny days, 3 rainy days and summer 4 rainy days and 3 sunny days per week. :tongue:

So when will be the best time. I will go for the longer days so that you can start early and have plenty time to rest along the way. My choice will be October. The other more important factor is the tides. You need to catch Bloukrans river at low tide and will find it difficult to get there if low tide is early morning. So try low tide at noon on the 4th day.

yoda wrote:
What basic facilities are offered in the overnight stops?
Beds? Matress? Bedding? Crocery and cuttlery?

You will find 3 bunkbeds per hut for 6 people per hut. No bedding and crockery, but at least a matress. Wood will be provided and toilet paper, but best to get your own stock for the latter.

yoda wrote:
If one drives to the starting point, how does one get back to the car after completing the trail?

You need to ask a friend to pick you up, hitchhike back or a taxi service. There is some-one in Nature Valley that provide such a service. Once I had to hitch hike back because of a blond moment. Car at end point and car keys in my friends car at the start. Luckily I got a lift from a ranger that worked at that time in Kgalagadi, but was on holiday in Natures valley. Only person that trusted backpackers along the N2. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yoda I would love to do this trip myself again, but not too fit at the moment. If you are looking for people to fill up 3 more spots on the trail let me know. I will train so that you don't have to carry me. :wink:
Jan 2018: Next trip to KNP - Tamboti, Talamati, Maroela and Satara

nihau

Otter Trail - how can I book?

Unread post by nihau » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:46 am

Hi,

I want to book the Otter Trail starting from April 14, 2014, which is suggested to me as "available date" at the moment.
Unfortunately, I could not find out how to make the reservation, even after registration for online booking.
Can anyone please help me?
I don't want to lose too much time, I really want to do the Trail on this date as a part of my travelling around South Africa.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm looking forward to a quick reply. ;)

DinkyBird

Re: Otter Trail - how can I book?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi!

Send an email to Bridget Bagley - bridget.bagley@sanparks.org
- Dalene

nihau

Unread post by nihau » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 am

I have got another question: I am travelling alone, so I would like to know whether the hike is in a group. Am I walking together with other people (which would be desirable in my case)?
Thank you for your reply!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:35 am

Perhaps ask Bridget in the email to her nihau. I am not an expert by far, and maybe someone else will be able to help with facts, but I can't imagine they would let you set off on your own.

If availability shows less places available for the walk you want to book than they permit per trail, then others must have booked already I would say?
- Dalene

Riaanf31

Unread post by Riaanf31 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi All,

We'll be attempting the Otter Trail for the first time in May this year. The below link is for a blog that I've found very useful when wanting to know more.

http://ottertrail101.blogspot.co.uk/

Once I;ve got some first hand experience I'll be able to provide more on this. For now I can say that we're all booked and paid; have started to do walks to build up our walking fitness and just need to add the backpacks to get use to carrying weight on our backs.

Happy planning
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Alex Bond-Smith

Unread post by Alex Bond-Smith » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 am

If one drives to the starting point, how does one get back to the car after completing the trail?

We I did it we were a group in several cars, so we shuttled cars before we started and left one in Natures Valley and the rest at the start so that when we finished, the driver of the car at Natures Valley took the drivers of the other cars to the start to fetch their cars.
Storms River Mouth Rest Camp 1st to 5th March 2013

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

Some info provided by others

hikeress2010 wrote:Re:Car park - Definitely leave vehicle at Natures Valley(NV) if you can.Enquire at reception as we did who may be able to provide information on options. Otherwise NV Guest House may be only one providing service.

andre w wrote:We got transported from Natures Valley by Natures Valley Guest House - just google them - arrange with Pat Bond - they pick you up at the Otter parking in Natures Valley - very reliable and reasonable tariffs.

otter trail - logistics
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

TankFish

Cooking on the Otter trail.

Unread post by TankFish » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 am

Hi,

We are doing the otter on the 14th of March. Just looking for some advice with cooking. We going to be taking oats, pastas, cous cous etc and I am just wondering if we should carry gas for all our meals or if it would just be easier to boil the food with firewood etc at that braai facilities?

Are there any major pros and cons I need to consider?

Thanks,
Justin

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Cooking on the Otter trail.

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:18 am

You'll want to take as little as possible, and food that cooks as quickly as possible - you want to use as little gas as you can get away with, so you carry less.
Get the thinnest pasta you can, it cooks quicker.
Soak your oats in water overnight, in the morning you just drain them and heat. If you're using instant oats you don't need to do this.
PM me if you want some meal suggestions.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

TankFish

Otter tracks GPS tracks

Unread post by TankFish » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have GPS tracks of the otter trail?

Thanks,

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: OTTER TRAIL - STARTING 4 JUNE 2016

Unread post by Yoda » Fri May 27, 2016 9:42 am

Bushhappy,

Will you be doing the trail?

One word of advice - don't under-estimate the level of fitness required.

But it is an amazing experience!
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Tue May 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Bushhappy wrote:Hi Yoda

Yes I am hiking. This will my 3rd time; regretfully without my wife this time ............... she's not keen on carrying a pack for 5 days anymore

Ah, so you know what to expect.

I did the trail last November. Said to myself it would be my one and only.
But now, hmmm, would be tempted to join you......maybe :hmz:
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Bushhappy wrote:Back home again afetr 5 glorious days of hiking; absolutely perfect weather (but this has now changed ! I really got lucky ).
Crossed all rivers at spring low and at worst was ankle deep for about 1.5 m going the Bloukrans.
I'm now seriously thinking about doing again!

Sounds like you had a good trip.
I initially said never again. But was telling someone about the trail the other day, and was thinking that maybe I would be tempted to do it again :hmz:

We had a very "interesting" Bloukrans crossing.
Although we got there at low tide, it was very windy and there was a strong surge up the channel on the far side. Some of our stuff got wet. Not pleasant at all
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Garden Route Parks”