Skip to Content

ADDO Camping Advice?

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
Nimrod

ADDO Camping Advice?

Unread post by Nimrod » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi All

My wife and I live in Stellenbosch. I am a Kruger fanatic. Been there plenty times. We want to go camping last week in April. Ive always wanted to go to Kgalagadi, but they are fully booked everywhere. So I decided to give Addo a try.

Any advice on where to camp and if it is nice?

Thanx

DinkyBird

Re: ADDO Camping Advice?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Nimrod, how self sufficient are you camping wise? The camp site in the main Addo camp is lovely. It is well demarcated and you can try and get a site along the fence line. Most of those are smaller campsites for tents.

If you are self sufficient and do not need electricity, then try a few nights at Mvubu too - see here.
Sawubona
Dalene

Nimrod

Unread post by Nimrod » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Thanx Dinkybird.

Main camp sounds nice. We have a nice canvas dome tent and normally use a gazebo for shade. Would like a powerpoint stand for light and fridge etc. I see there are two types of camp sites. Ons smaller and one bigger one. Wonder which ones are the best with shade and maybe against the fence?

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:48 pm

It is a while since we camped there, but from what I recall rather book a caravan site with power. Those that run along the fence (there is a narrow road between the sites and the fence) are tent without power. We battled to fit a four man tent with verandah area from Game on the one we stayed on once. The other sites (caravan) are just behind these, and are all level and many have lovely shade.

It is a very charming camping area. The whole park is charming.
Sawubona
Dalene

bosch dassie

Unread post by bosch dassie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:01 am

The tent sides along the fence are indeed very small. If I recall correctly there is no shade on any of these tent sites, but some of the caravan sites are underneath trees.

Although you're 'along the fence' you can't really see anything (close by) due to the height of the bushes. You have stand up and basically walk to the road if you want see anything.
Last edited by bosch dassie on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patto

Unread post by Patto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:53 am

The tent sites are powered, stayed there a few times. They are indeed small, and the view for most of them is limited. I would definitely recommend a caravan site. Another recommendation, take short pegs and a good hammer, the ground is quite hard.
"Wealth is not measured by how much you own, but by how much you give to others!"

Nimrod

Unread post by Nimrod » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Any advice on which unit nr is best? With shade?

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:23 pm

It is first come first serve at Addo?

We usually go for the ones on the outside curve of the road furthest away from the ablutions. But there are many lovely sites.
Sawubona
Dalene

Patto

Unread post by Patto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Nimrod,

Most of the sites have shade at some part of the day. The camp is quite popular, so you may end up having to choose the best one that is available once you arrive. Unfortunately you cant prebook a site. Our favourite site is right in the far left corner, past the communal kitchen. Nice big, shady site with loads of privacy. But, it all depends on luck. If you get there early, the better your chances of getting a nicer site.

Good luck and enjoy, Addo really is a wonderful park!!!
"Wealth is not measured by how much you own, but by how much you give to others!"

Nimrod

Unread post by Nimrod » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanx Patto and Dinkybird

I am excited. I wanted to book from 25 april to 2 may, as there is still lots of space, 10 or so for each day, except 26 april sunday there is none. Seems funny. So I can only go from 27 april to 1 or 2 may.

FrontierPR
Guru
Guru

Unread post by FrontierPR » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:51 am

I don't think there'll be a problem at all from the park's side regarding your setup. As long as you're happy with that site size. If you'd like some more space though, perhaps try to book a caravan site if there are any available.

Fayroush Ludick
Regional Communications
Fayroush Ludick
Regional Communications

jad

Unread post by jad » Fri May 01, 2015 1:38 pm

There is a row of tents sites that vary in size from the very small only suitable for a small tent and some that can take a car bench/table and a decent size tent and all the sites have electricity, these sites are very hot during summer because each one is enclosed by a hedge that restricts the airflow also the ground is very hard like concrete and I have bent many tent pegs trying to hammer them in. There are no views whatsoever from these site.
On higher ground there are a number of tent sites among the caravan sites that are larger and the one I like is situated under a large tree (and be prepared to be visited every night by a porcupine) but there are no views to speak of from any sites at all and all have electricity. But for all its draw backs it is one of the best camping sites and enjoy every minute I spend there.

jayefe

Caravan sites- Addo

Unread post by jayefe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:19 am

Comments from forum members please ; what are the best sites for a caravan or is there a difference between the caravan and camping (tents) sites areas?

DinkyBird

Re: Caravan sites- Addo

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 am

Hi jayefe - the tent sites are marked with a T. They are smaller.

It is a while since I camped at Addo - but if you have a caravan, there is a big choice of sites - level and with good shade, all clearly demarcated. There is a row of sites that face the fence, these are smaller, not that level and more suitable for tents.
Sawubona
Dalene

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Caravan sites- Addo

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi Jayefe,

Just get a map of the camp site, and you will know what to do. The Tent sites on the south/left fork in the road as you enter the camping area, are exposed, small and you cook in the sun -- no shade.
If you rather turn RIGHT at the fork in a nw direction, there are a few tent sites under the fig trees on your left -- 3 around the camping kitchen -- you have no real parking access to them, so have to park a few meters away... and walk over/around the low tar pole "fence"... NOT for a small camper etc. You can NOT access them by vehicle. But lovely for tents.
If you turn right at the fork, and drive the circular route through the caravan camping ground, past the kitchen with its 3 tent sites, you turn 180 degrees and drive east. Just before the road turns south again, you will find 2 stunning Tent sites, one one the left, and one on the right. They are narrow, and sometimes people drive small campers into them. Really well sheltered and shady. The nothern one is a fraction closer to the railway line and more exposed, but the right hand one is under a huge fig tree.
The secret is to get there EARLY and just choose what you find before the best ones are gone!
I will be there in March with a group of school kids, and in April again with another bus full of young photographers... we always manage to get good camping sites because we go early... and say a silent prayer beforehand! lol
Enjoy camping in Addo. It is really lovely. The kitchen is excellent and not used too much by campers in caravans...

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Return to “Frontier Parks”