Skip to Content

Horse riding in ADDO

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
anstyblue

Addo Activities

Unread post by anstyblue » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:04 am

My family and I are travelling to Addo in April and would love to go horse riding. My youngest child is 8 and can ride very well, the other 3 of us are mixed ability.

Is the minimum age to ride in Addo strictly 10?

If so, are there any stables near Addo from which we could ride with our 8 year old?

Thanks
Anstyblue

EricExSA
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by EricExSA » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:11 am

The link for Addo Horse Trails is http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/activities.php
It says
No children younger than 16 years may ride on the Addo Trail
:cry:
I will retire in KNP
Just because I have a disability does not mean I am disabled.

Wilma van Hal

Horse trails

Unread post by Wilma van Hal » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:33 pm

I noticed that there are two areas to go horse back riding
( Addo and Zuurberg ).
Can anybody give me some advice on what's what.
In Addo they have a special ride for experienced riders, but for Zuurberg I can't find any specifics about skills required.

In Zuurberg there is an overnight trail to Narina bushcamp which sounds exhiting, but I have no idea what to expect.

We are by the way experienced riders and like a challenge.

:?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:17 pm

Well, Wilma, it depends what kind of experience you are looking for:
The rides that depart from main camp (Addo rides) go through the Nyati area of the park which is home to the all of the Big Five (except lions) and of course all of the other species you would find in the Park. It is fairly flat terrain so you could do some cantering as well. If you are looking for a chance of encountering elephant, buffalo, eland, zebra etc. then I would choose the 3hour afternoon ride.

The rides in Zuurberg are for more of a scenic, wilderness experience. The area is mountainous and the ride takes place through grassy fynbos and descends into afromontane forest (except the 1-hour ride will stay mostly in the fynbos area). The 3hour ride might be the best option here.

The overnight ride to Narina is a 3hour ride there (through the same vegetation as the Zuurberg rides) and then a 3hour ride back on the same trail the next morning. You would also need to book Narina Bushcamp for this option. Narina is fantastic if you want a secluded experience in the forest as only one party is booked into the camp at a time (max 8 people).

Hope that answers your question!
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

rockin_shades

camping and horse riding

Unread post by rockin_shades » Mon May 21, 2007 8:50 am

Looking for information on a secluded place for 3 good friends to camp out and ride a horse in and rent the horse for 3 days and do safari horseback if possible. :)

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 am

Hi and welcome
The only SANpark i know of where you can ride horses is Golden Gate.
info here

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 am

Try Addo, although it is daily hire, otherwise Malealea in Lesotho. If this is off the radar mods, maybe RS could PM me if interested.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 am

Hi
Addo Elephant National Park offers various horse trails, from one-hour to five-hour trails. Some of these are based in the Nyathi area of the Park where we have the Big Five (except lions) and others based in the Zuurberg Mountains (no big game but forest and fynbos). You can find out more about the various options on this website.

There is an overnight trail to Narina Bush Camp. The horse trail is about 3 hours long to the camp, which you can hire out exclusively. The camp is in a really beautiful spot in the forest on the banks of a river. I would highly recommend it.

Perhaps you could combine this overnight trail with a trail through the Nyathi area when you get back.
Regards,
Megan Taplin

Qcumba

Horse riding in ADDO

Unread post by Qcumba » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forums, and would like to know if any one has gone on one of the guided rides in addo, we are going for a 3 day trip to addo next month and would love to do one of these rides, for those who have done it:
would you reccomend it? do you see much game? and which would be better the morning or afternoon ride? sorry for all the questions, like to have as much info before deciding what to do :D

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Re: Horse riding in ADDO

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Qcumba and welcome to the forums.

I hope some other forumites can tell you about their experiences of horse rides in the Park, but here's the basic info:
The Addo horse trails take place in the Nyathi area of the Park (departing from stables at main camp) where we have the Big Five except lions. The concentration of animals here is less than that in the main game area so your sightings are not as frequent but there is the possibility of seeing red hartebeest, zebra, ostrich, warthog, kudu, duiker, bushbuck and sometimes elephants, buffalo or (very seldom) rhino.

The morning ride is for less experienced riders as the guide will stick to more open areas for the 2 hour ride (where you will have more time to react to animals if you should be near to them) while the afternoon ride is for more experienced riders at 3hrs and going more into the bush areas. You should be able to control a horse for either of these rides as there is always the possibility that an antelope can spook a horse.

If you want a more scenic and relaxed ride, perhaps try the Zuurberg trails in the mountains where there is a 1-hr, 3-hr and 5-hr option as here there is no big game and you can concentrate on enjoying the fynbos and forest.
Megan Taplin

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Mrs. Stark, and avid horse rider, wanted me to ask a few questions.

Has anyone form the forum gone on the Addo afternoon ride? Any pics? Also, what type of saddle is used? She squinted at a few photo's and can't tell.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Lower Sabie
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by p@m » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Stark -- have never been on any of the horse-trails, but am willing to bet that only English (or eastern as you call them ?) saddles will be used :lol:

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Micetta » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Maybe Mrs. Stark could take a ride like this Image

CuriousCanadian

Unread post by CuriousCanadian » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:18 pm

:lol: Stark..we went riding in GGHNP...and the saddles we were what we call "english" with a hollow cut out down the middle of the leather seat..must be for the horse's comfort due to heat....they also "bit rein". :D
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks for the info, p@m and CC. I have no idea what anything that has to do with horse riding means, but I'll pass this along to my in-house equestrian. :thumbs_up:

Micetta -- don't give her ideas. :rtm: She's already trying to talk me into shark cage diving as the next step out of our comfort zone. :| 8)
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Lower Sabie
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

Return to “Frontier Parks”