Skip to Content

Addo: Children Visiting

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
ThomasA

Addo newby with 3 young'ish kids

Unread post by ThomasA » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:58 pm

As you can see from the post count - it's the big ONE .... I have spent the entire morning trawling through the web on info about Addo and various accommodation options ... the net result ....

:huh:

... Totally confused !!

2 Adts and 3 kids ( 5 , 7 & & yrs ) for dates IN 17 Dec OUT 20 Dec and the availability calendar on the site is there's nadda available ... So, any suggestons on the most suitable place to stay ( with some sense of the "average man" budget ) ?

Also, the park is larger and I would value some indicaton of where to concentrate on rather than drive around aimlessly. Orginised tours might be a good idea ...

Tall order ... yes, I know.

( thanks in advance )

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Addo newby with 3 young'ish kids

Unread post by saraf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi Thomas, welcome to the forums.

I'll send you a PM shortly but the best advice I can give is to keep checking the availability as cancellations do come up. Unfortunately that's one of the most popular times to visit the park, but don't give up hope.

Good luck
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Oh and I forgot, Addo has a "hop on hop off" guide system so if there's room in your car that's an option to give you a better feel of the place. Megan (our resident Addo guru) might be able to give you more information about it.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

ThomasA

Unread post by ThomasA » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:11 pm

saraf wrote:Oh and I forgot, Addo has a "hop on hop off" guide system so if there's room in your car that's an option to give you a better feel of the place. Megan (our resident Addo guru) might be able to give you more information about it.

Thanks, got your PM and like that Hop on Hop off guide system - can you send me a url to read more please?

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:26 pm

I found this on the main website.

Hop-on guides

Just scroll down to the Eyethu Hop-on section.

I can't actually recall seeing a posting from anyone who has used this facility but it does seem to be a very good idea.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forum.

Keep trying as cancellations often occur, especially a month before.

You can buy a very good map book at the main camp, and you can drive the whole park pretty much in half a day, so planning your own trip will be as good as getting a guide.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi Thomas,

Some forum reading on the Hop on guides.

Ideal would be to try and get accommodation in the Addo main camp. It is most suitable for children, with space for them to go for walks, a shop to visit, a nice view over the waterhole and an underground hide. And of course there is a swimming pool too.

I am not sure when the new Interpretive Center will be completed - but that is bound to be a must for kids to visit too. Megan will be able to confirm the date. You will be able to do self drives as well as guided drives from the main camp. So, do as Sara suggested and keep an eye on the availability.

I am sure Megan will be able to supply you with a list of alternative accommodation that she recommends when their camps are fully booked. Then, it will just be a case of driving into the main game area as a day visitor and possibly having a nice picnic at the picnic area in the main camp.

With young children with you, I suggest you spend most of your driving in the main game area where they will be entertained by the animals.

Megan will also be able to tell you if there is a holiday programme for kiddies planned for that time of the year.
Sawubona
Dalene

ThomasA

Unread post by ThomasA » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:49 am

DinkyBird wrote:Ideal would be to try and get accommodation in the Addo main camp. It is most suitable for children, with space for them to go for walks, a shop to visit, a nice view over the waterhole and an underground hide. And of course there is a swimming pool too.

Yes that would be ideal but seeing that it is peak season, it's a game of russian roulette .. book now and secure accommodation OR wait and possibly loose out .... I would prefer to be in the main camp !!!

DinkyBird wrote:With young children with you, I suggest you spend most of your driving in the main game area where they will be entertained by the animals. Megan will also be able to tell you if there is a holiday programme for kiddies planned for that time of the year.

Excellent - I look forward to a reply from Megan or do you want me to contact her?

Thanks - you've been most helpful - let's hope Megan can weave her magic wand and find us some accommodation for those dates .... :pray:

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi ThomasA,

Welcome to the forums!

Addo rest camp is pretty fully booked in December so, if you don't manage to find a cancellation you can take up, then try one of the many B&Bs and lodges that are situated close to the Park. You can try this website: http://www.greateraddo.com - there's a link to this website on Addo's accommodation pages too.

The hop-on guides can also be booked in advance via addoenquiries@sanparks.org

The Interpretive Centre that Dinkybird mentioned will not be open yet in December but in 2009.

There usually is a holiday programme during most school holidays involving guided walks/drives/activities for kids. You will find info about this when you visit the Park.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

bungle77

Addo with babies

Unread post by bungle77 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi there, i am going to southafrica next september, we are two couples and we travel with two children of 1 and 2 years. is there some "Guided Game Drives" we can do? What activities we can do with children?

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Addo with babies

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:04 pm

Your best bet is to hire one large vehicle, like a kombi and do self drive. Addo is easy to get around. There are not a lot of roads to confuse you, and it would be nice and cheaper to be together.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi bungle77,

If you want a guided experience, you can always hire a hop-on guide, who will join you in your vehicle to give you a bit of info on the Park and the animals. They charge per vehicle (not per person) for a 2 hour drive but you can always negotiate a shorter (or longer drive) if the babies get niggly.

Info on hop-on guides here: www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/activities/default.php
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:24 pm

There's also a very useful thread that was put together on Kids in Parks (Kruger biased but still useful) but I can't find it anywhere. Mods?

sjordan

Addo with kids

Unread post by sjordan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 am

Hello, we would like to visit Addo soon, but I find the list of accommodation slightly confusing, especially for kids.
We have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. What would be the best Camp and accomodation option to book for please? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks

PJL
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator - Antelope Award (2016)
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Smaller Parks - Small Parks Campfire Award (2016)

Re: Addo with kids

Unread post by PJL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi sjordan :yaya: and welcome to the forums!

I have only stayed at the main camp myself, so can't really give any opinions about the Matyholweni accommodation... but if I was going to stay in Addo I'd rather stay at the main camp where you have the chance to see animals coming to the floodlit waterhole in the evenings.

For a family of 4, you're probably best going for either the Forest Cabins or the Family Chalets depending on your budget. You could also go for 2 Safari Tents. The chalets & tents are nice in that some of them have a view out into the park, whereas the forest cabins are tucked away in the bushes... you can see a map of the accommodation and main camp layout here.

Hope that's of help! Do shout if you've got any other questions and I'm sure myself or others will be able to help.

Return to “Frontier Parks”