Skip to Content

Addo: Animals

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
BunduBoi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BunduBoi » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:22 pm

Couldn't wild dogs be introduced to Addo soon now that the area is large enough to support them? I know historically wild dogs did inhabit this area.
MEMBER OF THE WILD DOG FAN CLUB

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:31 pm

We are planning to introduce wild dogs in the future to the northern part of the park around Darlington Dam. The open expanses here will be great for dogs. However, we are still completing the predator-proof fencing in the this area, so introductions will only happen in a year or two.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

BunduBoi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BunduBoi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:29 pm

lam wrote:Are cheetah also going to be released into this area?

Yes, cheetah are going to be introduced as well (see mammals page on addo in this website)

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Update?

Unread post by NightOwl » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:18 pm

Was in the park on Saturday. The entire park is GREEN. It was so nice to see everything so green. We saw baby Zebra, Red Hartebeest, Duiker, Elephant, Monkey, Ostrich. Were extremely lucky with the baby duiker. Mother and baby crossed the road about 10m in front of us :)
Saw all the above adults plus Kudu, Eland, Mongoose, Tortoises.
Gorah Loop was the most productive, with Herds of Hartebeest & Elephant + 4 Zebs.
I wonder if Megan can give us an update on any cubs from the Lions or Hyennas? And how many Hyennas are there in the park now?
I've seen the lions and even seen a Rhino, but have yet to spot a Hyenna.

j-ms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by j-ms » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:46 pm

Seen rhino on a number of occasions early morning in the corner north-east of Domkrag. Also at Hapoor late evening and of course at Nyati at night.

According to the a ranger, the hyena are seldom seen and he had only seen them once himself (this was about 6 months ago). One of the nightdrive guides (about 9 months) said he had yet to see them.

BunduBoi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BunduBoi » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 pm

An update on the cubs:

New lion cubs for Addo National Park

December 02, 2005, 17:15

Three lion cubs are the newcomers to the Eastern Cape's Addo Elephant National Park. The lion cubs are the first to be born and survive since six lions were introduced to the reserve two years ago. Park management believes that the lions have now settled into their new environment and developed a social order.

Two previous litters born in Addo were killed shortly after birth by males who were not the fathers. This time, it is believed that the lion which has become the dominant male, is one of the two fathers. He has taken the three cubs into his personal protection, banishing two other males into other parts of the reserve.

The cubs are about four-months-old and should be safe by now. There is plenty of food in the reserve such as disease-free buffalo, antelope and warthog, and with Addo expanding at a rapid rate, there is no danger of overcrowding.

Plans to move cubs at a later stage
Lucius Moolman, from the Addo Elephant National Park says: "We can keep about 10 or 12 lions, so as soon as they get to that number, we will move them to other parts of the park, the Nyati section just across the Paterson Road with the other two males. So, we've got plans for the lions if their numbers increase."

Addo has been voted the country's best national park this year, with Moolman the best manager, there are plans, at an advanced stage, to re-introduce cheetahs and wild dogs.

Megan, if the entire park is amalgamated, what is thought to be the carrying capacity of lions?

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:59 pm

Our estimates are that the park, when consolidated can carry up to 40 lions. However, we are still busy with research into prey and habitat selection for lions & spotted hyena in the park which will give us a better idea of the carrying capacity for lions.

Lions will be introduced to the Darlington, Nyathi and Colchester sections of the park.

By the way, there are now 10 spotted hyenas in the park - eight were introduced and two cubs have been produced. One cub is about 18 months old and the other about 6 months old.
Megan Taplin

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:17 pm

Thanx for the update Megan.

By the way. What is this females name?
Her Teets were pretty swollen, so I'm assuming she's the mother of the cubs.
More pictures of her here: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5316

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 am

Her name is Kamkwa and she is the older of the two lionesses.
Megan Taplin

BunduBoi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BunduBoi » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:30 pm

I was in Addo 3 days ago, and saw lions there!!!! :D

The 2 lionesses + a male.
There weren't any cubs with them, so I think maybe the lion killed them :( , but not sure. The one lioness looked pregnant though.
Megan, how is the expansion going? what's the possibility of joining most sections together?

Oumie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Oumie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:53 am

My brother was also there between Christmas and New Year and sms'ed me excitedly that he has seen the Lions :!:
He saw them 4 out of the 6 days :D Also said that he did not see any cubs :( (I told him that there were cubs, because I read on this thread there was cubs)
Reservation for 2018 made :dance:

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Addo Big-Tuskers

Unread post by NightOwl » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:09 am

Why do we not see Big-Tuskers in Addo?
Is it because the Elephant density is so high and they get killed by younger bulls, or do they get relocated to other Private reserves?
Or is their maybe some other ecological reason for this. I'm just curios about this. Anybody withinsight into this?

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Toddelelfe » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:33 pm

markw wrote:Hi Oumie
I heard that the reason is the Addo elephants were so heavily hunted before the park was established. In the hunting, the elephants with the biggest tusks were killed, leaving a gene pool of elephants with small tusks. Remember that the addo population comes from the 12? original elephants left. Apparently there are only 7 female elephants in the park with tusks. Bulls from kruger have been introduced to increase genetic diversity in the addo population. Presumably they are the ones with the bigger tusks? This shows the consequences of hunting - hopefully never in national parks.
Mark

I heard this too.
No mission on the way :( :wall: :oops: :bmp:

2016 TR from KNP

BunduBoi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BunduBoi » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:07 pm

Addos elephants are limited toa small gene pool - there were only 11 original ellies in the area when the park was formed, so as a resultof inbreeding, males have small tusks and females generally have none. addos elephants are also smaller.
recently 8 males from kruger were brought into addo to inject new genes.

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Salva » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:47 pm

JaKop wrote:Just another elli-question: We observed quite often that the older bulls rested their trunks on the tusks, mostly when other clans apporached. Is this an expression of dominance, anger or what do they express?
regards
Jan :?

I don't know for sure but in Tanzania we were charged twice by an angry old bull. And twice he put his trunk over his tusk just before the charge. We were told he did this to prevent his trunk from being damaged while charging!
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

Return to “Frontier Parks”