Skip to Content

Addo: Animals

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:30 am

There is one known leopard in the main game area of Addo, a 13 500 hectare area but many more in the other regions of the park.

Leopards occur in the Zuurberg mountains and foothills, and although they are not often seen, evidence such as spoor (and the occasional sighting) is common. The Zuurberg area of the park has been protected since 1896 so there are probably quite a few leopards here.

A couple of years ago, an adult male leopard was found in a snare on a farmer's property adjoining the Colchester area of the park. Nobody thought leopards occurred in this area which suggests that perhaps there are more leopards, with a wider distribution, than we thought.

Leopards also occur in the Woody Cape area of Addo, in the Alexandria forests.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

katydownunder
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by katydownunder » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:58 pm

Hello Salva!

Yes, have a looks at this....

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2523

Maybe you are lucky during your stay :wink:

katy
The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ADDO Variety

Unread post by NightOwl » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:09 pm

Many people go to Addo only looking for Elephants.
ADDO is so much more than just a big Elephant Zoo.
There is a huge variety of animals, reptiles & birds to be seen in Addo.
So often we have a car stop next to us and ask: 'have you seen elephants' or lately 'have you seen any lion'...
I sometimes feel like telling them: 'Don't worry about the Elephant or Lion, just drive slowly and enjoy what you see, big or small'
Some of my sightings can be found here http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4368
I have lots of pics, and it'll hopefully be an ongoing process of updating the link. There's 19 for now, but I'm converting/shrinking etc. more pics.

And for those that only want to see Elephants. Go to Hapoor Dam at around 10:30. Alternate between Hapoor and Spekboom between 10:30 and 12:30 and you are bound to see Elephants there. We have spotted them there the last 4 weekends.

The Meerkats can be found early morning around Domkrag dam and Nzipondo loop

Enjoy the pics...

Bosblues

Unread post by Bosblues » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:24 pm

I agree..... people should learn to enjoy the bush and not purely the sightings...... I can just sit at a waterhole and merely be there...... that recharges my batteries better than anything else on earth......

Addo is great. Went there last year December for the first time in my life - enjoyed it so much so that I'm going back there in 6 weeks' time....... :P
In love with my country's wildlife.

HS

Unread post by HS » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:14 pm

Yes, Addo is great, but PLEASE don't tell everybody. Addo is becoming so popular. No longer can I decide on a Monday that I want to go camping the coming weekend, as it is fully booked. You have to decide at least 4 weeks in advance ! !

Since they have tarred some of the roads, the other animals eat closer to the road. We see so many kudu, eland, buffalo etc these days.

Camping grounds are great. The gravel was a good idea. No more dust or sand, and the spekboom partitions makes if private and you feel like you are in the bush.

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by lam » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:06 pm

HS wrote:Yes, Addo is great, but PLEASE don't tell everybody. Addo is becoming so popular. No longer can I decide on a Monday that I want to go camping the coming weekend, as it is fully booked. You have to decide at least 4 weeks in advance ! !

The campsite at Addo is very full, and often quite loud. A second campsite is becoming a necessity.

My choice would be something more rustic, i.e. no electricity - it really makes camps quieter.
Kruger - July

Sally

Unread post by Sally » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:53 am

Hi all

We spent a day at Addo on Saturday 15th (terrible to only spend a day in a park, but our British visitors didn't have much time).

My first visit to Addo was in 1981. I remember that elephants were hard to spot but that one had to concentrate furiously in order to avoid the dung beetles that were everywhere. On this visit we didn't see a single dung beetle - is it a seasonal phenomenon?

Of the 5 jackal we saw during the day, only one looked healthy. Is there a mange outbreak or something?

Cheers
Sally

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:50 am

Only been to the park on a few day visits. I recall that after rain you really have to look out for the dung beetles in order to miss them. But I have been there on some occasions (being dry) that you don't see a single one.

The only black-backed jackal I saw in the park once also looked terrible with mange. That was quite a few years ago. It is probably a problem in the park.

j-ms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by j-ms » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:08 pm

I heard an anecdotal report from Paul Hansen that the Addo jackals go through cycles of being fat and healthy (which they certainly have been for the last few years) and mangy and sickly (when the population decreases). Maybe Megan can get one of the Park boffins to add their opinion.

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Leopard in Addo

Unread post by NightOwl » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:49 am

I have seen 4 of the big five in the main game viewing area of addo and with '1 confirmed leopard' in the main game viewing area, the following questions have popped in my mind and might be helpfull to other visitors of addo if we could get answers to these.

1. Has any visitor ever seen this leopard?
2. Does the leopard have a trakking collar on?
3. Is it a male or female?
4. How old is it?
5. Is there any plans to introduce a mate for this leopard, or will he/she just have to live out its life in soletry?
6. Which area of the main game area are you most likely to find the leopard?

I know that I have a better chances of winning the SA Lotto, than finding one single leopard in the entire main game viewing area, but heck, I have to try and complete my big five :D
Megan: Some more info on the Leopard would be Much appreciated :wink:

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:55 am

From the article it's not clear, or I might just not read it correctly. Is the Leopard that was caught on the farm, the same one that's in the main game viewing area?

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:56 pm

1) LEOPARDS: The leopard found near Colchester had unfortunately been killed by the snare it was found in on the farmers property.
The leopard mentioned in the main game area was rescued from a farmers property near the Baviaanskloof. It does have a tracking collar on and researchers do track its movements. We need to look at this situation in the bigger picture of things: once new areas of the park are joined up to the main game area, wildlife will be able to move over a larger area and hence find mates. Even if there are no other leopards in the main game area (which has not been proven), this leopard will be able to find other leopards in the future. Of course, we will monitor the situation and take action if it is necessary.

2) JACKALS: Mange occurs naturally in black-backed jackal populations and is one way in which their populations are controlled. There are definitely healthy jackals in the Addo jackal population. We let nature take its course and do not interfere with jackals that are affected by mange.

3) DUNG BEETLES: the filghtless dung beetle is affected by weather - it is susceptible to heat, cold and dessication. Therefore, you would be more likely to see this species when the temperature is mild and after rain when there is moisture around. If you visit the park, please take care not to drive over the beetles or elephant dung - we see too many squashed flightless dung beetles.
Megan Taplin

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:43 pm

Thanx for the update Megan.
Driving in the park when the dung beetles are out in force is a fun experience in its own. It's the only time you can drive like a drunk person and it's perfectly legal :D

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:01 am

It's funny you should use that analogy, Night Owl, because the flightless dung beetle also has a bit of a reputation for being drunk....or so the name suggests. It's scientific name is Circellium bacchus - the second part of which refers to Bacchus, the Greek god of wine. Apparently, when the dung beetle is rolling its dung ball, its antics make it look a little bit tipsy.
Megan Taplin

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:38 am

It's fascinating watching dung beetles. We found 6 of them one day on one buffalo dropping. The managed to disect it onto sections, but while two of them were fighting over one perfectly rolled dungball, a third came in and snatched it away. While on his way with the ball, another noticed and raced after him. Anther fight started and this see-saw activity continued. We were so enchanted by all this activity that we did not notice the string of cars builing up behind us (Mbabala Loop), being a one way, they had no where to go, and we hade to give them a change to enjoy this spectacle, so we moved on. But what amazed me was the loud noise that came from these little creatures, when they fight/scratch each other with their legs.
And they do look drunk when they move their dung balls :D
Thanx for the interesting info Megan.

Return to “Frontier Parks”