Skip to Content

My Scary Incident!

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
Rafeeq

My Scary Incident!

Unread post by Rafeeq » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:18 am

Hi Sanparks,

I still think about it this morning,

What happened: Last night, It was roughly 10pm when me and my girlfriend was sitting in the front seats of my parked car along the side of road of signal hill ( a small gravel section meant for one car only close to the lion head hiking trail) watching the view of Cape Town (CBD ) was STARTLED by a 4x4 Van stopping ( bumper to bumper ) abruptly behind us with it's lights glaring down upon us. After a few seconds the vehicle drove pass my driver seat window and came to a slow standstill.. it was two men driving a SANPARKS vehicle... after looking at us and seeing we were doing nothing wrong or illegal they drove off.

My feelings about this: Now given that i am very aware of the crime levels in SA ( car hijackings ) and i could not identify the vehicle behind me, I was very disturbed and frightened by this.. my initial reaction was to drive away immediately..i left my hand on the ignition encase things went south so i waited for the cars next move .. It was then the car drove pass and i identified it as SANPARKS..

Way forward: However you may feel about this consider how me an my girlfriend felt..Please consider my story to help make SANPARK vehicles identifiable at NIGHTTIME..( lights most probably ).I Will still go up to signal hill though and only hope to have a better - safer experience and hope others do not go through the same that i had.

Kind regards,
Rafeeq

DinkyBird

Re: My Scary Incident!

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks for the feedback Rafeeq; we certainly pass on your comments, and suggestion. Sorry that you got a fright. As you say, with crime levels in that area, SANParks are probably on high alert at all times.
- Dalene

Rafeeq

Unread post by Rafeeq » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:53 pm

DinkyBird wrote:Thanks for the feedback Rafeeq; we certainly pass on your comments, and suggestion. Sorry that you got a fright. As you say, with crime levels in that area, SANParks are probably on high alert at all times.

Thank you for your speedy response. Over and above It is good know that there are sanpark patrol rangers (thumbs up).

Regards,

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Herewith a response from SANParks:
Rangers were doing a routine patrol along Signal Drive and warned numerous owners of vehicles of the dangers of parking along Signal Hill road and for their own safety they should park in the Top parking area. Unfortunately three armed robberies took place on this particular road, hence the warning.

Asking people to move to a safer area is part of the park’s crime prevention strategy. On behalf of the rangers the park apologises for startling/scaring Mr Rafeeq. The rangers were ensuring the safety of all users on that particular night.
- Dalene

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:18 pm

If I have the choice I would rather have a fright from a SANParks patrol, than be high/car jacked. :shock:

Nice to know that they patrol that area, to keep us vistors safe. :clap: :clap:

Well done SANParks. :thumbs_up:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

Return to “Cape Parks”