Skip to Content

West Coast NP: INFO

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Gate Registration & Indemnity Document @ WCNP ?????

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm

We fill in the same form when entering Kgalagadi.

As far as I can remember they also state there, that by filling in this form before hand you speed up the entry process.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

boomerang

Re: West Coast NP: INFO

Unread post by boomerang » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 pm

I see I have stumbled upon a very old thread...
We used to live in Saldanha up to 1999 and we have an oppurtunity to visit the WCNP on Sunday 3 Sept.
Our interest will be 20% flowers and 80% birds and 100% getting out there - away from the stresses of life in the rat-race...
So - are there currently any rare bird sightings to pursue?

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
2010 - Blessed with six opportunities - Marakele, Kgalagadi, Kruger, Augrabies, Richtersveld, Karoo
2011 - Karoo, Mokala, Namakwa Nat Park
2012 - KNP, Gonarezhou
2013 - KNP, Marakele, Moremi
2014 - Sadly no SANParks, Moz & CKGR

shfish

Unread post by shfish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm also heading that way soon.......any"twitchers" out there who can give us an update ? Are there many migrants or is it still a bit early? Thanks.

Andy M
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andy M » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Hello boomerang and shfish. Jesscan and I spent Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in WCNP. The flowers especially in the Postberg section were terrific.The birding on the other hand was a little quiet regarding the migrants. A few Greenshanks and some Common Sandpipers were the only visiting waders that we saw. As for raptors, two Yellow-billed Kites were spotted.
When the light was favourable for photography while visiting the Geelbek and Seeberg hides, the tides were not. The water birds, flamingos (very few), Avocets, Black-winged Stilts, plovers and terns were all a long way off, with very few birds on the wing passing by.
The common local birds were mostly obliging. Stacks of Pied Crows, Southern Double-collared Sunbirds, Karoo Prinias, Cape Bulbuls, Buntings, Grey Herons, Bishops, Ibis, Malachite Sunbirds, Common Fiscals, Black-winged Kites, Grey Tits, Cape Spurfowl, Weavers, Gulls, Ostriches and others were seen regularly. Of the 'specials', we saw a Rock Kestrel munching a lizard and the local Black Harrier (it hangs around near Seeberg). The Yellow-billed kites can be seen around the bluegum trees along the road to the Geelbek restaurant.
Seeberg is best when the tide is coming in as the foraging birds come closer to the hide as the water gets higher. Check the tide tables for Langebaan or Saldanha.
The weather looks really good for the next few days. Enjoy the time in the park.

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:43 pm

The flowers especially in the Postberg section were terrific.

Oh they were :D , Andy M :dance:

Thanks for Jesscan1's stunning photos here :clap:

Jesscan1 wrote:I am at last back in Internet country. :D

Andy M and I had 2 full days in the WCNP and spent most of those days in the Postberg section of the park.

The floral display was something to behold.

A spectacle of note.

The vast fields were carpeted in white Reenblommetjies, orange Gousblomme and yellow Magriet.

Along the roadsides we had a vast variety of other flowers. (I still have to ID all these flowers).

As promised by Andy (on my behalf) here are just some of the pics of the dazzling beauty that we were so privileged to see.

aquila non capit muscas

shfish

Unread post by shfish » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks for the update AndyM. Stunning pics, Jesscan!!

kittykat23uk

Unread post by kittykat23uk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

Beautiful photos! We plan to visit weekend of the 16th. :dance: I missed male malachite sunbird at Kirstenbosch last time I visited. Any tips on where to find this gem at west coast much appreciated !

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 pm

I don't think that I've ever seen malachites in WCNP, altho that does mean they're not there :wink: As always, a question of right place, right time. I've often seen malachites in the Cape Point part of TMNP, I think in both the Olifantsbos area and Black Rocks and also on the circular route.
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

kittykat23uk

Unread post by kittykat23uk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Thank you, we are staying in Simonstown for 3 nights so hope to visit that area too. We also hope to go in a whale watching trip and plan to see the penguins. Maybe look for the rockjumper. So much to see! :)

gatita
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gatita » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:00 pm

kittykat23uk wrote:I missed male malachite sunbird at Kirstenbosch last time I visited. Any tips on where to find this gem at west coast much appreciated !

in May we saw them regularly in the garden of our guest house in Simon's Town :D

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Vlakvarkvrou » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Good day friends,
We saw a Malachite Sunbird (Jangroentjie) in the West Coast National Park on 29 Aug 2017. And Jesscan1, I agree - the flowers in the Park, especially the Postberg section and the section on the Langebaan side were really breath taking :gflower: We also saw quite a number of animals and birds. I took photos of for example the Cape Mountain Zebra between the flowers.

Shfish - We saw a beautiful Black Harrier and Grey-winged francolin, Black shouldered kites, Cape francolin, Southern double-colared and Malachite sunbirds, and various smaller birds.

Return to “Cape Parks”