Skip to Content

Bats "problem" (or not) in KTP accommodation?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Bats "problem" (or not) in KTP accomodation ?

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

jan.dup wrote:Div wrote:
My advice is to try and make the best of the situation and most certainly not let this keep you from visiting the Kgalagadi.

Agree 100% with you.
This is a small/tiny/miny, littleness of an issue compared to the experience you get from the Park !!

Me too, but this sounds great in theory.

What do you do when your wife says "If there are bats in there, I'm sleeping in the car"

Don't bother with the obvious rejoinder, the implications spoiling the trip are not worth it. :wink:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Jonkers

Unread post by Jonkers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Yep Nina! I have never had a bat meeting in the winter months in any of the camps
I would not get out of my winter sleep being a bat when the temps are going down 0.
But I do think this problem needs to be solved, otherwise at least you should be made aware in advance, stating on your confirmation that you will share your unit with bats :hmz:
I will stick to the winter months is the solution for me

pedro maia

Unread post by pedro maia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Nina! wrote:Hi Pedro,

If you stay outside the park, you lose valuable time you could spend in the park.
Why don't you chose those camps which do not have a bat problem, like e.g. Mata Mata, Kalahari Tented Camp or Nossob?
Further more, you don't have a guarantee that the accomodation outside the park is bat free.

If you take a moskito net with you, you don't have to be afraid of bats joining you in bed :D

The camps in KTP are wonderful and you would certainly enrich your experience by an overnight stay in the park. It is fantastic to wake up to the sound of lions roaring. :D

Nina

In MM and Nossob there are reports of bats inside accomodation as well and camping is not an option for us.

We are a family of european urbanites so our perspective is a little different, if there are chances that there will be bats inside our room we just don´t go, I don´t have a doubt that it would ruin our vacation.

If there is another way of knowing the park, even if we miss part of the experience that´s one possibility, if there isn´t, well, it´s a pity but I´ll have to chose another place to go, we can repet the Kruger or do something different.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion :) .

jan.dup

Unread post by jan.dup » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 pm

BB wrote:
What do you do when your wife says "If there are bats in there, I'm sleeping in the car"

It did happen to me at Urikaruus - and I just joined her in the car - actually slept very well that night. 8)

Just make sure you have enough space made for that beforehand :dance: and Bob's your uncle !!!! :)

On a serious note : I can understand that for some people it would not be acceptable and I totally respect that.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Bats yes Over the cricket weekend I shared a chalet with Anne-marie . She being the experienced one with bats made sure we slipped in and out of the main door as to not let them in ... well we were all tired and all were tucked up for the night when Suddenly Anne Marie jumped up and at the top of her voice she started shouting in the choicest French and waving her hands in the air and running around the bed .. !!!( This was our first night and I didn't really know her at all and wondered whether she was having night terrors or even worse ) She then looked at me and with a dead pan face said "zee bats" and went back to bed . and fell asleep.
Oh the little fellow did then try to share my pillow but it didn't worry me in the least
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Jonkers

Unread post by Jonkers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm

the last time we had the chalet in Nossob with a ramp (easy access for mobility challenged) with 3 beds and a huge bathroom. One morning when it was still dark and no power yet and still tired and desperate for some more sleep (rowdy neighbours to the left and a huge family gathering to the right previous night)
My daughter who did not know if I was awake or not saw when she used her flash she was sharing her bed/duvet with two bats and tried to move from under the duvet quietly to the empty bed next to me. I not fully aware of this move jumped up and down thinking there was something else beside us in the chalet. Running off to the bathroom, thinking I was safe two bats were waiting there, running back again bumping in the two bats in the room and my daughter sitting under the duvet looking like a huge tipi tent. And still darkness. I managed to put on a bigger flash light, left it central between us and crawled bag under my duvet. After a while no more flapping and diving into the duvet, perhaps the bats looked at us weirdo s and left. We decided to get up and start the day; after all we did not travel all the way up to be lazy.

Surfer

Unread post by Surfer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Reading this topic some weeks ago, I became a little concerned about "meeting" the bats during our trip to KTP.

However having spent nights at Nossob, Grootkolk, Gharagab, Bitterpan, and Urikaruus during this last week, I can report that we saw no bats in any of the units in which we stayed. Similarly there were no reports from other people who we have met up with during our travels in KTP.

The only thing that kept us awake at Gharagab and Urikaruus was the roar of the lions as they walked passed our units in the early hours of the morning. What an experience!

As for Kieliekrankie - well we are back at TR for a few days but will be at Kieleikrankie later this week. Will let u know!!!

2015 - .??. NP still thinking!!
BTDT: Addo, Augrabies, Bontebok, Camdeboo, Garden Route, Golden Gate, Karoo, Kgalagadi, Kruger, Mokala, Mountain Zebra, Table Mountain, West Coast

Oumie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Oumie » Fri May 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Did not have any bats entering our bungalow at Twee Revieren on this trip :hmz: looks like they have sorted the problems with them....or the bats knew that this "old duck'' was coming...so stayed away :lol:
At Satara :dance:
Satara:17/4/16 - 31/5/16
Lower Sabie: 01/6/16 - 27/6/16
www.knp2016.blogspot.com
Kgalagadi September 2016 :dance:

Tony T

Unread post by Tony T » Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 pm

No bats in the accommodation at Uri tented. We were there 4 nights, leaving on the Friday a week ago.
KTP- 23/4/15 to 26/4/15 - Mata Mata
27/4/14 to 30/4/15 - Nossob
1/5/15 to 4/5/15 - Gharagab
[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

barbarasa

Unread post by barbarasa » Sat May 18, 2013 10:41 pm

I've read this discussion of bats and I must admit - now, please don't laugh at me, but I am feeling a bit scared about the bats! Where I live, bats are associated with rabies. If there is the slighted chance that you've been bitten by a bat, you must go through the rather painful series of anti-rabies shots.

What is the situation with bats and rabies there? I'm thinking that there isn't a problem, because no one has mentioned it, but I would really appreciate some reassurance.

Thanks.

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 am

why laughing at you
nobody is the same, and everybody can have a scare... or several

you are right about the rabies, it's a terrific disease :? and we must prevent ourself
I don't know about rabies in SA, Kgalagadi and other parks, but my polyclinic tell me to don't touch any animal/bird alive or not

for the "chance" or not to be bitten by bats, I think the risk is very weak, they are so afraid by us (that should say, they are without rabies)
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

barbarasa - that is true for SA as well! Although it is not the most common trasmission of rabies in South Africa - they can transmit rabies. Where one usually needs to have a history of a bite or break in the skin with other animals, ANY contact with a bat should be treated as possible exposure. As anne-marie said, one should avoid any physical contact with them. Luckily - bats tend to avoid physical contact with humans as well! :wink:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NetEk » Mon May 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Please note I'm no expert but isn't rabies a "mammal" thing..... the bats in SA aren't vampires they eat insects ..... so not sure how they get rabies to give it to humans? Then wouldn't it be just a dangarous getting it from Mozzies that actually feed on other mammals?

We had Bats in the bathroom at Mapungubwe I just put off the inside light opened the door and left the outside light on and out they flew after a few minutes. We actually saw Fruit bats there 2 summers in a row now they are the cuties with little doglike faces. Did I mention the one had a baby...... I'll go and look for the pic's.
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Bats are mammals
and the only mammal able to fly :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NetEk » Tue May 21, 2013 7:31 am

anne-marie wrote:Bats are mammals
and the only mammal able to fly :wink:

Yes I know. but how will they get the rabies if not from prey....
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

Return to “Arid Parks”