Skip to Content

Namaqua National Park vehicle access

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Dabchick
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Namaqua National Park: ADVICE

Unread post by Dabchick » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 am

How "tough" are the 4x4 routes in Namaqua National Park?

I've done the Skilpad circular route before in a small car, but would love to do the 4x4 routes in the park. However, I'm not into heavy duty off-roading, and would not like my "soft-roader" 4x4, a Daihatsu Terios, damaged by roads that are really too tough for it. So, can a Terios take those roads, or is it really only for the "big boy" 4x4's ?

Same question re 4x4 routes in Goegap Nature Reserve near Springbok (this is not SANParks is it :redface: ?) ... any advise?

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Namaqua NP

Unread post by onewithnature » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 am

Caracal wrote:Hi varademoises

Yes you can get to Skilpad Rest camp with a sedan and it is well worth it if you intend going there in the flower season. There is a short circular drive that you can do in your sedan but further than that ...no you will need a 4 x 4. The short circular route is where you will see most of the beautiful flowers alongside ( if you are lucky) bat-eared foxes, meerkats and steenbokkies. There are some awesome hikes that one can do ..not strenuopus at all and you see many beautiful flowers along the way.Tthe road from Kamieskroon to Skilpad can be horrendous when it comes to corrugations etc but it can be done in a sedan. The chalets at the rest camp are awesome..very well equipped and the view..sigh...you need go no further. :D

Absolutely, Caracal! I did the walks more than the drives as I was enthralled with finding flowers close-up. At close range, there are more species than you can imagine. :dance: :dance:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

zookrat

Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?

Unread post by zookrat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 am

Can anyone help me with knowledge of the current road conditions please?
Went over Wildeperdehoekpas in my 4x4 in Feb 2011 and besides a short section of rough road near Hondeklipbaai I don't remember thinking it was necessary to have a 4x4. Little did I know then I would have the chance to do it in a hired tjorr this year!
We are going first week of Aug. Feedback on whether the blommetjies have started flowering this year would also be much appreciated.
Thanks
Zookrat

Blackie

Re: Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?

Unread post by Blackie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am

Zookrat, it depends on what route you intend to follow from Namakwa NP - If you are going to exit via Soebatsfontein and then drive the coastal route ( the Eco 4x4 route), I do not think it is possible in a sedan - there are 2 bad patches of thick sand along that route to Hondeklip Bay.

As for flowers, my own personal thinking (having done about 6 flower trips over the last 8 years), the first week in August might be a bit too soon for flowers along the coastal line - more inland e.g. Garies, Springbok, Nababieb, etc you may have some luck.

But nevertheless, enjoy it! It is always a great experience, even with no or little flowers to see.

Blackie.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

zookrat

Unread post by zookrat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Wow! I’m new on here and didn’t expect so many friendly and helpful replies in such a short time. I’m touched and a beeg thank you to all :gflower:

Although timing isn't the greatest, we grabbed the opportunity to combine business and blommetjies and just go!

To avoid risking a damaged or stuck rental car spoiling a holiday we’ve decided to stay in Kammieskroon and day trip into the Namaqua Park instead. That doesn’t rule out the possibility of driving the road and turning around if it gets too bad…

Dalene; my unrented vehicle is a 4 x tjorr :) The eco route sounds great and I would love to have the map for planning future holidays if you would be so kind as to email it to me...

PS: Lion Queen, although my photographic skills leave a lot to be desired I will post a few pics so that others planning to go know what to expect this year.

Once again thanks to all
Zookrat
Last edited by zookrat on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zookrat

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm

A few years back we went to Hondeklip from the H7 turnoff north of Garies and the road was a bit sandy and we didn't go in a 4x4 then. We had great raptor sightings along the way.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

wessie

Namaqua with a 4x2?

Unread post by wessie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi all,

Friends of mine are staying at Varswater campsite in December. I would like to visit them, but I don't have a 4x4 anymore.

Will I be able to make it with an Isuza D-Teq 4x2?

I do have some sand driving experience and they recon if I deflate to about 0.8 bar, I should be fine. :hmz:

Some photo's of the tracks will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Blackie

Re: Namaqua with a 4x2?

Unread post by Blackie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 am

Wessie, if you are entering from Koekenaap and drive up north to Varswater you should have no problem with a normal 4x2 with high ground clearance.

The sandy parts are still to the north of Varswater towards Hondeklip bay.

Blackie
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

sakul

Namaqua National Park vehicle access

Unread post by sakul » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi!

Is a 4x4 strictly required to drive down the coastal section of the Namaqua Park (the Caracal eco route) or can it be done in a 2x4 with proper ground clearance?

Specifically, I'm driving a FWD Nissan Qashqai - yay or nay?

Cheers
Lukas

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Namaqua National Park vehicle access

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi Sakul and a warm welcome to the forum.......... :gflower:

For the inland areas you can use a 2X4, but to make the most of your visit and to see most of the park you will need a 4X4.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

sakul

Unread post by sakul » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank you!

So, the Hondeklipbaai - Groenrivier section is a no-go for a Qashqai?

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Unfortunately I'm not sure about the capabilities of the Qashqai. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you there.

On the Namaqua NP Homepage the following is said about the Caracal Ecotrail

From Skilpad there is a 4x4 track going down to the coast. It is essential to obtain the Caracal Ecotrail Booklet at the office for directions. This route can take 4-6 hours down to the Beach Camp (strictly 4x4 only!)

Caracal Ecotrail
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

shfish

Unread post by shfish » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi Sakul
I also made enquiries about this route some time back. I'm in an X-Trail 4x4 but I was warned this "softroader" would not make it. I have seen some images of this Coastal section and the middelmannetjie in the sandy sections can be pretty high. I wouldn't risk it in a Qashqai.
But remember that you can get to the first campsite at the southern end of the trail.

jenand

Unread post by jenand » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Sakul

I was in the park a couple of weeks ago in a Land Rover Freelander 2.

The staff said I'd be OK to go down all the way, but be sure to deflate tyres a lot. There's apparently some very soft sand in that bottom bit below Honderklipbaai.

I didn't end up going the whole way down - just to Hondeklibaai. From Skilpad to Honderklipbaai, the Caracal Eco Trail was totally fine. Just a couple of areas where the middle bit was a bit high. But I don't think I'd go much further in a Qashquoi.

Speak to the guys at reception. They've got a good idea of what can/can't be done.

Return to “Arid Parks”