Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Camping

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
etienne1

Re: Rooiputs campsite 6?

Unread post by etienne1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 am

Hi everybody , Tobie thanks for posting my photos !! . The leopard is a youngster still and seemingly quite used to people . We saw her walking up from the main road and she was heading straight for the camp . We saw her lie down about 50m from the Camp site . We then thought it best to get into our vehicles and observe from there rather . She then proceeded to inspect all the Dome tents and bite shoes etc and then finally moved to the trailer tent and that was when we could photograph her. All this was happening while we had Lions about 300m down the road which in turn did a patrol of our camp site that evening . Rooiputs is high on my list of interesting camp sites and must be experienced and just bare in mind that you are in a dangerous environment and the animals must be respected . What is nice are the herds of wildebeest and springbok that gather around the camp and wonder through it . So if anyone is going to rooiputs see if you can get stand No 1 and see if you can enjoy the same experience we had .

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Wow! Now that really is a crazy sighting etienne1. You must have had an interesting nights sleep :wink:

The young leopard you saw in known as Cagn, she was born over in the Aoub river around the Auchterlonie area, she is now probably around a year and a half old. This is the second sighting of her over in the Nossob river recently so it would appear that she is now on her own and trying to stake out a territory. You can find her in my identiifcation book on my website below.
Could i also ask you to send me the details of the sighitng. If you could do that using the spreadsheet also on my site i'd be really grateful. :pray:

If anyone else has any other sightings of leopards then i'd also love to have them for my records....particularly if i cannot id them and have to make a new page :thumbs_up:
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

MiTQ's

Unread post by MiTQ's » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Etienne thanks for sharing those amazing photos of the Leopard in your tent. :cam:

You definitely had some awesome sightings while at Rooiputs. We had campsite 1 end of May and kept a beady eye open for Lions in and around camp while putting up our Trailers rooftop tent. Although we didnt see any I was honestly quite relieved! It was our first visit to KTP and all the stories about the Lions at Rooiputs really had my nerves on edge. :redface:
But NOW we're all ready to go back there next September and will spend atleast three days at Rooiputs and yes I hope we get campsite one again :dance:

etienne1

Unread post by etienne1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Pleasure MiTQ's , this was our first visit and really an adventure I will never Forget , I found the Roooiputs area the most scenic and do not have to venture Further than Rooiputs to see what there is to see. As I said the scenery and the Abundance of springbok, gemsbok and wildebeest is truly rewarding . I will return and include Augrabies and Mokala in my trip and look forward to Kruger later this Year .

Tobieo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tobieo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Thank you Etienne for this photo of camp site 6 (hope the leopard has changed her habits and now visits this site as well)

Jan 2016 KTP
March 2016 Greater Kruger Hon Rangers Photography safari
May 2016 KTP
June 2016 Okavango Delta and Chobe

MiTQ's

Unread post by MiTQ's » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 am

etienne1 wrote:Pleasure MiTQ's , this was our first visit and really an adventure I will never Forget , I found the Roooiputs area the most scenic and do not have to venture Further than Rooiputs to see what there is to see. As I said the scenery and the Abundance of springbok, gemsbok and wildebeest is truly rewarding . I will return and include Augrabies and Mokala in my trip and look forward to Kruger later this Year .

etienne 1 if youre going to Mokala we can highly recommend Motswedi campsite. A magnificent campsite and only six of them so its not overcrowded and each one overlooks the waterhole. We stayed there en route to KTP in May.
We're off to the Kruger in Oct for a week and then again December at Croc bridge for 12 days,,,absolute bliss. Enjoy Kruger and happy sightings :)

Nina!

Unread post by Nina! » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:23 pm

:big_eyes:
What an extraordinary experience.
Maybe I should reconsider and go camping on my next trip :D

Was the leopard as relaxed as it looked like on the pictures?
How exactly did you get her out of the tent?
Maybe she was looking for a safe place to hide from the lions?

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 am

@ BB, knowing you this may be a tongue in the cheek comment :D but anyway: I think there is more to the leopard's visit to the tent than shade. There are lots of trees around Rooiputs, it is much cooler under those than in the annex of a RTT. In fact it can get quite hot in there.

During my visit at Rooiputs and at other unfenced camps, I noticed how pray animals will quite often hang around our camping area - as if they know predators tend to avoid humans and that being close to humans will provide some protection. I remember at KTC we had a herd of springbok sleep under a tree right outside the parking area of our tented cabin. From all the droppings there I could see it is a regular sleep-over spot. I also remember the incident at KTC where a blue wildebeest ran under a tented cabin for protection from hyenas. Ditto I have read about incidents where pray animals took shelter under/behind vehicles during predator attacks.

The leopard seems to be very young and it may just be that she know that she will have protection in the tent - hence the total lack of aggression towards the photographer. Sometimes I think these animals are much smarter than what we tend to believe and that they are much more aware of us and our status in nature's pecking order. I think the fact that there were lions 300 meters down the road may have driven here closer to humans as well.
In love with God's creation

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Not at all WKK.

Leopards and lions have sought decent shade, like ablution blocks many times in the past.

Could also be a youngster hiding from the lions.

As least it did not climb/jump the stepladder into the bed area. :big_eyes:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

elosonegro

Renting camping gear for the Kgalagadi

Unread post by elosonegro » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 am

I'm flying into Upington and planning to rent a car and spend 6 nights Kgalagadi.
I'd prefer to camp but does someone have a suggestion on where I can rent camping gear?
I will be there in June so it will need to be cool weather gear.Any suggestions much appreciated.
Stan

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Renting camping gear for the Kgalagadi

Unread post by Jo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Elosonegro

I am not sure about where you can hire camping equipment on its own but you could rent a fully equipped 4x4 which would come with rooftop tent, kitchen equipment etc

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi: Camping

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:55 pm

What tips can you give me for keeping warm at night in KTP? We'll be camping there in July.
We've got adequate gear for sleeping. I'm more concerned about sitting around at night, while braaiing, eating, relaxing, sitting in the hide etc.
I have a gazebo, with sides, and plan to have a small fan heater in the gazebo. Would that be sufficient?
I'll also be taking plenty of good scotch :twisted:
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:07 pm

I hope your wife is not too thin. :twisted:
Ask KG about camping and body warmth. :roll: He has quite a story.
When we camp in winter, we learnt the hard way. Take an electric blanket.
You probably need good warm clothing, gloves etc, and there is not much point in sitting around in the cold so get to bed quite early, unless you go to the hide.
And old brown sherry.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

issi

Unread post by issi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Josh of the Bushveld, good luck, we camp in Mata-mata and Nosob in July 2012.... -7.... nothing could keep you warm, the only tips I can give you... is a nice spade full of coals under your chair! perfect! till it dies down!

One tip nobody gave us, is to camp under the trees.... it keeps the front off your tent and car!
O don't forget to pack your UGG's... the surfers sheepskin boots!

I made myself a blanket-jacket. Saw the jacket in a magazine! It dubs both as blanket and coat! Still have to put it to the test!

wayneman

Kgalagadi camp sites - are they shaded

Unread post by wayneman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi
We are spending a week in the Kgalagadi at the end of April this year. Can't wait as its my first time there.
I'll be spending the first night at Twee Riviering, then 2 nights at Nossob, 2 nights at Mata Mata and 1 more night at Twee Riviering. We will be camping for the entire duration.
What are the camp sites like in terms of shade. Is there a lot of shade and trees to shelter us from the sun?
Is it very necessary that I invest in an awning. I was thinking of getting a few tent poles, ropes and a fly sheet???

Return to “Arid Parks”