Skip to Content

KTP Newbies!

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
AnnaVR

KTP Newbies!

Unread post by AnnaVR » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi KTP locals,

SO and I are Kruger addicts - but we've decided that it's high time we visit KTP. If reports are to be believed it has the same addictive effect!

We are happy tent campers and kitted out with everything to do so comfortably. We are also keen birders so would like to see what KTP has to offer.

Could you please offer advice on how to plan our first trip? Some things I've wondered about include:

• How to plan travel to KTP from Pretoria - I assume we'd need to sleep over somewhere on the way due to distance?
• Time of year to go? We only go to Kruger in summer so don't mind a bit of heat.
• Are the main roads accessible for a Nissan NP200? I've read conflicting info as to whether a 4x4 is needed or not.
• Which camp to stay at? Nossob looks appealing so far with its hide. We prefer spending longer at one camp as opposed to hopping from one to another.
• Any other wisdoms specific to KTP that would help first-timers?

Looking forward to your feedback!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: KTP Newbies!

Unread post by arks » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm

While I'm not a camper, I can offer a fewof basic suggestions. First the distances between the KTP camps are considerably greater than between KNP camps, plus there are only the two riverbed road --Auob and Nossob -- and the two dune roads -- lower and upper -- that run between the two riverbeds. As well, you can only camp at the three main camps: Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob. The area around each camp is different, so you will have different experiences at each. And only the access roads to Bitterpan and Gharagab require a 4x4, all other are negotiable with a 2x4 or a normal sedan.

I'd suggest that you take a look at the KTP map and note the distances between the camps, as well as the distance from Nossob to Unions End, which is a long day's trip from Nossob. The travel times suggested on the official map are entirely UNrealistic, since you're unlikely to travel at the top speed and not stop for sightings. I'd say that doubling those suggested times makes more sense, as you want to take time to enjoy and go slowly -- and especially if you are birders :wink:

I'm sure that you'll get lots more advice from the KTP regulars. Enjoy your planning and have a great trip!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Navara2

Unread post by Navara2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:12 pm

We are planning a trip for August 2018 from Joburg
If we sleep at Upington, then 1 night at TR, 2 nights at Nossob - how do we travel from
Nossob to MataMata - not a 4x4, but the Navara has high clearance.
Which is the Lower Dune Road and the Upper Dune Road?
Then Urikaruus for 2 nights and travel home.
Or do you have better ideas?

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi Navara2 and Welcome!

You can travel either of the dunes roads, the only roads that require a 4x4 are the access roads to Bitterpan and Gharagab. The 'lower' dune road is the one closer to TR; the 'upper' dune road is the one closer to Nossob. You could use either to travel between Nossob and Mata Mata, depending on how much time you have and how much driving you want to do.

Enjoy your planning and have a great trip!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Welcome to the forum Navara2!

As Arks has indicated the 2 Dune roads that link the 2 main roads will be the ones you need and not necessarily 4 x 4.

You will be given a map when you check in at reception in TR

More info Maps

Navara2

Unread post by Navara2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks - confused because Bitterpan said only 4x4 but the roads on the map were
not marked that way.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 am

Navara2 wrote:We are planning a trip for August 2018 from Joburg
If we sleep at Upington, then 1 night at TR, 2 nights at Nossob - how do we travel from
Nossob to MataMata - not a 4x4, but the Navara has high clearance.
Which is the Lower Dune Road and the Upper Dune Road?
Then Urikaruus for 2 nights and travel home.
Or do you have better ideas?

Navara2,

I don't know if you will drive back home to JHB without sleeping over. If you will be driving all the way home, I would suggest that you book your final night at Twee Rivieren that will enable you to leave for home at 07:00.

If you look at the gate opening times during August which is 07:00 and the time it will take from Urikaruus to Twee Rivieren (2.5 hours), you will only be leaving KTP by 09:30 which will result in arriving back home in the dark.

We visited the Park during March with gate opening time at 06:30 and only arrived back home in Pretoria by 18:45 (just more than a 12 hour drive).
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-12 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

Riaanf31

Unread post by Riaanf31 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 am

Hi All,

A few things to add from me.

What time of year you travel bring different challenges. In dry season less need for high clearance vehicle and winters can be arctic.

We've visited KTP twice in the last few years. Once Feb and then again in March. This is rainy season in KTP and that brings a unique set of challenges. The roads in KTP tend to have a walled nature to them, meaning water gets trapped on the road. My understanding is that this occurs due the tire dragging in place to keep the roads smooth etc. High clearance vehicles thus have the added bonus of navigating through the river roads and giving visitors better viewing over such ridges.

We rented a Toyota Fortuner 4 x 2 and that was fine for getting us safely (without getting stuck) from Grootkolk, to Nossob and then to KTC in what were waterlogged roads for the Nossob to KC leg.

With no caravan or trailer our traveling is less cumbersome than others, which allows us to travel direct from Johannesburg to KTP. This does involve leaving JHB in the dark of the morning (3am). It's a full day on the road, but if do-able we view this as an extra time within the park compared to stopping over. Our route was tar roads all the way via Upington. The Kalahari Mall being an oasis en route to stretch the legs etc.

Food wise always ask at the camps about any fresh bread they make. It's a delight for the senses and also provides a welcome income to the locals. Not huge, but it's a way to contribute. The shops are limited compared to Kruger (its a lot more isolated) and they do their best. Don't expect fresh vegetables and if possible pack what you need or buy in Upington and then make it last. The restaurant at Twee-Rivieren had good Springbok Pie if you're stopping over.

Happy travel planning.
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Welcome Navara2.

Your itinerary in KTP looks great!

Whilst the roads you will be driving on do not require 4x4, you will be more comfortable in a high clearance vehicle. It will enable you to see over the banks at the side of the roads and see further into the distance for game viewing. Remember to deflate your tyres on entering the park at TR - that will make your ride more comfortable over the corrugations.

We have been to KTP 3 times so far and have always stopped over for a night on the way there and a night on the way back. We favour van Zylsrus, but some people are worried about the condition of the dirt road from van Zylsrus to Askham - it can be in a bad state, but we have always managed it in our bakkies (Hilux then Ranger).

As you plan your trip, keep the questions coming, and we will try to answer them.

Happy planning.
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Return to “Arid Parks”