Skip to Content

4x4 hire in Upington - any good/bad experiences?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
xmarksthespot

4x4 hire in Upington - any good/bad experiences?

Unread postby xmarksthespot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Visiting from the UK in February and on an itinerary for 2 adults that includes camping in the Richtersveld NP. Need to get all equipment locally so I'm planning to hire a fully-camping-equipped four wheel drive vehicle in Upington (Hilux, Discovery or similar). Does anyone have any experience of 4WD rental companies in Upington that they'd like to share please? (have checked Trip Advisor but little up to date info there).

Luca

Re: 4x4 hire in Upington - any good/bad experiences?

Unread postby Luca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:05 am

I rented car two times with kalahari 4x4 hire without any problems. Pieter, the agency owner, seems to me very honest person. I would suggest you this agency for your 4x4 rental.

Please check info and contact them here: http://www.kalahari4x4hire.co.za/

Bye from Italy.
Luca
There is no dark side in the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark

Russ

Unread postby Russ » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi,

we also travel from the UK and hire from Kalahari 4x4, both Pieter and Neil ( the son) are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble. they are very knowledgeable and understanding and do not look to charge you for little 'problems' that may occur, including having the number plate taken, and eaten? by hyenas or a 'lost' spotlight.

Regards

Russ
my mind and body may be in england my soul is in africa

xmarksthespot

Unread postby xmarksthespot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Thank you Luca and Russ for sharing your experiences.

I am currently weighing up various options including your suggestion. I'll aim to post here again after my trip with my experience of dealing with each supplier (quotes, responsiveness, helpfulness etc) as well as feedback on how we got on with the vehicle, camping equipment and service from the chosen supplier.

flo.rian

Unread postby flo.rian » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:44 am

@xmarksthespot:
Did you already booked your 4x4 and have any experiences for me/us?

I'm looking for a camper, but only found one via http://www.drivesouthafrica.co.za and already send an enquiry, but I'm not sure how fast they are with a response or if any of them are available for our trip in April 16.

xmarksthespot

Unread postby xmarksthespot » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:38 am

@flo.rian,
As per my post, our trip is in February (2016) and I will post my experiences after my trip. Expect to read that here by early March.

As far as I am aware, Drive South Africa don't have their own vehicles, they are a consolidator/agency providing an online booking platform for other rental organisations (usually the larger ones). I often think it's best to go to someone who actually supplies and maintains the vehicles themselves. I also like to support local businesses if I can.

Given my itinerary, this time round I wanted a company based in Upington - not just someone who could provide a vehicle there - as I always think it's reassuring for off-road trips if support is near at hand and from local people who know the area.

Have you approached the company that both @Russ and @Luca have used? @Luca has already provided a link.
Another option is a small family-run company in Upington called Desert4x4 http://www.desert4x4.co.za
Both these local companies replied promptly to my email outlining what I was looking for.

Hope that helps for now.

Return to “Arid Parks”