Skip to Content

Sendelingsdrif border crossing question

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
UKAndy

Sendelingsdrif border crossing question

Unread post by UKAndy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:09 pm

I notice that the Sendelingsdrif pont crossing to Namibia is closed as of late March 2014 due to high water levels.
Is this a frequent occurrence?
I know there has been a lot of rain and that rivers are running very high at the moment.
My reason for asking is that I have a trip planned for September that would go through here.
A clockwise circuit from Upington out to Namaqualand, up into Namibia and then back through KTP.

So.....
Should I be concerned and have an alternative or am I pretty safe to assume that things will be back to normal in a month or two?

I am new to the forum (from England) and have had a wonderful time wandering around and reading posts and trip reports while planning this trip - so informative, enticing and good fun. Wonderful photos!

Thanks to everyone who posts and answers questions.
Andy

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Sendelingsdrif border crossing question

Unread post by saraf » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:21 am

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum.

Have a read of this post by Parkfanatic, who's just come back and used the newly reopened pont.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Parkfanatic

Unread post by Parkfanatic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:41 pm

The pont is open at present (thanks Saraf for pointing Andy to my post).
Look on the Richtersveld page on the the SANparks website. There are three numbers there under contacts. The two mobile numbers belong to the guys in charge of the pont operation at Sendlingsdrif. Give them a call to check if its open a few days before you get there. (write the numbers down and carry them with you... mobile coverage it poor and internet smart phone surfing near impossible in this region).
PS: you can if all else fails cross at Alexander Bay over the bridge to Oranjemund and then drive inland to just south of Rosh Pinah if the pont is not working.
PS2: we crossed from Namibia into SA. The Namibian side ramp from the pont up the bank is sand / gravel. Whereas the SA side is concreted down to the waters edge. Judging by the ruts and wheel tracks when the waters subside the Namibian side is very slippery and could be difficult to get up the steep bank. (we came down onto the pont from this side so no issues). It was one of the things the park guys were afraid of and why they took a little longer to open the pont again. (the water had already subsided but it had left a layer or mud / silt on the namibian side of the river which had to be allowed to dry and harden)

UKAndy

Unread post by UKAndy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like it will be fine in September.

Return to “Arid Parks”