Skip to Content

Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
barryels

Re: Urikaruus vs. Nossob CH3, and travel time

Unread post by barryels » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 am

kimanjome wrote:Forumites, can you assist?

How long is the drive from Uri to Nossob? Is one (1) night at Nossob worth the hassle of packing/unpacking all our gear from Uri, then to set up at Nossob, then return to Uri for the remainder of our stay? To be honest the price at Nossob is so inexpensive with US dollar I am thinking of leaving our "stuff" at Uri in the cabin and just taking bare necessities to Nossob to get by for overnight. But with construction, what do you think? Last time at KTP we tried to make the drive from Uri to Nossob to check it out but never made it--didn't seem to be an easy day trip (there and back) maybe because we got distracted by a cheetah kill enroute.

kimanjome,

The distance between Urikaruus and Nossob is only 114km and with the hours available between gate opening and closing times during July which is 10.5 hours, it will be no problem to reach Nossob and still have a drive up North if you wish to :thumbs_up: . I really don't think that the current construction at Nossob should be a consideration to stay there or not. You are in in one of the best Parks in SA :thumbs_up: .

Other question:

We arrive JNB at 9 am and were planning to catch the 11 am flight to UTN then pick up rental vehicle, go to a local hotel (and sleep, we will have been in traveling for 36+ hours), provision the following morning then go directly to KTP. But airfare is quite high on our days, so I am thinking to maybe drive to KTP from JNB.

If, after arriving in JNB we do 4 or 5 hours drive and then stop midway for sleep, will we be able to get to UTN the next day, provision, then go through TR and onto Urikaruus, all in one day? Gates close early this time of year!

This is a difficult question to give you advice on when the date you will be arriving in SA is unknown.

To give you an indication of driving distances between Johannesburg and Twee Rivieren with what you have in mind, the following:

1. With 4-5 hours drive left on the day you arrive, you will get to Vryburg to overnight = 385km.
2. The next day you will have to drive from Vryburg to Upington = 398km
3. I don't know where you planned to pick up your foodstuff for the trip? This will also take some time to get hold of.
4. From Upington to Twee Rivieren is another 265km and then an additional 73km to get to Urikaruus.

If you decide to drive to Vryburg and then the next day to Urikaruus you will have a drive of 736km left to get to Urikaruus which is doable :thumbs_up: .

Lastly:

We know it will be cold. Should we bring extra lightweight blanket to put on bed AND to wrap ourselves in at night, while sitting on balcony? Or will sweatpants and sweaters be sufficient?

I would suggest that you pack warm clothes rather than an additional blanket :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

nighthawk2

Re: Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Kimonjone,

Usually you can get an add on fare to Upington for around $50.00 one way as part of your international flight.
Are you flying from JFK to JNB?
We have found overnighting in Joburg the best option. You're travelling for a long time & best to get a good night's rest & then tackle the journey to Upington the next day.
There is a flight that arrives in UTN around 11:00 am. You can collect your vehicle, provision for your stay & make it to the Park in plenty of time.
It's about a 2.5 HR drive from Upington to Twee Rivieren
the nighthawk

TonyK

Unread post by TonyK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Russ, thanks for your comments :)

kimanjome

Unread post by kimanjome » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info--we have decided we are going to fly to Upington. Returning is another story...
Question: Is there another route we can take out of Upington to bypass JNB and get to Marakele National Park or the Hoedspruit/Phalaborwa area? I am the driver and I would prefer not to drive through JNB/PTA. We don't have to be "up north" until 4 August. Otherwise, we will take the InterCape to JNB..

BTW, really appreciate the info about distance between Uri and Nossob. The last time we spent the whole day driving to get to Nossob and never made it, barely able to return to Uri in time before Jacques sealed gate :naughty:

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:16 am

kimanjome wrote:Thanks for the info--we have decided we are going to fly to Upington. Returning is another story...
Question: Is there another route we can take out of Upington to bypass JNB and get to Marakele National Park or the Hoedspruit/Phalaborwa area? I am the driver and I would prefer not to drive through JNB/PTA. We don't have to be "up north" until 4 August. Otherwise, we will take the InterCape to JNB..

BTW, really appreciate the info about distance between Uri and Nossob. The last time we spent the whole day driving to get to Nossob and never made it, barely able to return to Uri in time before Jacques sealed gate :naughty:

Hi kimanjome,

When we go to Kruger, we usually bypass JHB by getting onto the N4. Then you get a very easy bypass to the N1.

You can either turn of in Vryburg to Mafikeng and get onto the N4 there, or you can drive to Rustenburg via Lichtenburg to the N4.

I do hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip!!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Is it possible to buy dry ice in Upington?
If so, then where? :doh:
Thanks for the help! :thumbs_up:

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:02 am

kite wrote:Is it possible to buy dry ice in Upington?
If so, then where? :doh:
Thanks for the help! :thumbs_up:

Hi Kite,

Are you referring to these blue ice packs??

Image Image

If yes, they are available at all the food stores, Game and the 4X4 stores.

What do you need the ice for?? Then I have a better idea where to get an answer from.

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks, lion queen, but not those blue packs.
I am wanting the solid carbon dioxide blocks which can be wrapped in newspaper and put in a coolbox to keep meat etc frozen for quite a few days! :?

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:11 pm

kite wrote:Thanks, lion queen, but not those blue packs.
I am wanting the solid carbon dioxide blocks which can be wrapped in newspaper and put in a coolbox to keep meat etc frozen for quite a few days! :?

Okay will try and find out Monday from Gatti's and one of the beverages suppliers is they sell to the public. :thumbs_up: Will ask the events planner too!

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks for help!
I just thought that maybe the campers on the forum might know if it is available anywhere near Upington.
We shared a large block of dry ice, bought in Durban, years ago with a group of friends at Cape Vidal and it definitely freezes contents of freezer box.
I did an Internet search and the company that supplies Durban does not supply any retailer within 100 km of Upington.

katanga

Re: Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers - Nossob/Bosobogolo access route

Unread post by katanga » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:00 am

Folks

Apologies if a double post but can't seem to get a response so trying my luck on this post....

I am in the park in Sept and we have 3 nights in Nossob and we wanted to venture on the Nossob/Bosobogolo access road as a day trip just for the experience. We will be in 2 4X4's. I realize we cannot do the entire trail, but would love to just drive part of it one day starting from Nossob and then back to Nossob later the same day.

So my questions on this are:

1. am I allowed to do this route even though we are not camping anywhere on that route e.g. Matopi1/2
2. Assuming we are allowed to go on this route, do I need to clear any formalities with the Botswana side when I get into the park at Twee Rivieren.

Likewise we also plan to do the Kanagauss/Kaa route when we are in Grootkolk for 3 nights. Any problems doing this?

Really, really appreciate someone who is an expert to tell us.

Would be great if someone can advice.

Thanks a lot.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:35 am

So my questions on this are:

1. am I allowed to do this route even though we are not camping anywhere on that route e.g. Matopi1/2
2. Assuming we are allowed to go on this route, do I need to clear any formalities with the Botswana side when I get into the park at Twee Rivieren.

Likewise we also plan to do the Kanagauss/Kaa route when we are in Grootkolk for 3 nights. Any problems doing this?

Dear katanga,

1. With reference to your first question, I did reply to your question Here :thumbs_up: .
As I have stated in my linked post, you are allowed to drive on the Nossob to Bosobogolo road without a booking en route. You just have to declare it on your permit the day you wish to go on such a drive :thumbs_up: .

2. With reference to your second question the following:

Any visitor who enters and exits the park through the same country/gate don't have to have a passport and therefore you don't have to clear any formalities with another country when using the road as mentioned by you, as long as you don't exit the Park.

The same will apply with the drive that you plan when you stay at Grootkolk. You are entitled to use this road without any booking at KAA. Declaration on your permit is all you need to do :thumbs_up: .

I would also suggest that you provide for additional fuel when you do the Kanagauss/Kaa route and enough water.
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

katanga

Unread post by katanga » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:20 am

thanks a lot. Count down has begun. 2.5 months to go.

minettest

Unread post by minettest » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 am

When is the best time to visit the park? We are looking at begin April 2017 for camping
:dance:
28/06/16 - tamboti
29/06/16 - tamboti
30/06/16 - tamboti
1/07/16 - berg en dal
2/07/16 - berg en dal
3/07/16 - lower sabie
4/07/16 - lower sabie
5/07/16 - crocodile bridge
6/07/16 - crocodile bridge

CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT WAIT!!! :lol:

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:47 am

minettest wrote:When is the best time to visit the park? We are looking at begin April 2017 for camping

Easiest answer, whenever you could get an opening!! :dance: :dance:

April and September are very nice months weather to visit KTP. But unfortunately it's also in the school holidays and very popular!!!

Return to “Arid Parks”