Skip to Content

Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Pascalinah

Re: Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:55 am

Can you see anywhere how many chalets are available from one category at the camp? Concrete question: how many CH3 - chalets are available in Nossob? Only one? I`m looking for a second CH3 in February 2017

Greetings Pascalinah

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:21 am

Pascalinah wrote:Can you see anywhere how many chalets are available from one category at the camp? Concrete question: how many CH3 - chalets are available in Nossob? Only one? I`m looking for a second CH3 in February 2017

Greetings Pascalinah

Dear Pascalinah,

Yes you can indeed see the availability of chalets in a specific camp of all SANParks. Here is a link to the website where you can see what is available :thumbs_up: .

If you struggle to get to a specific page, please PM me and I will try to guide you through the pages :thumbs_up:
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-12 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

SandyS

Unread post by SandyS » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:24 am

Hi Pascalinah
There is only 1 CH3 at Nossob - if you go to the Sanparks Tariffs document and look under Arid Region for Kgalagadi, you will find the accommodation for all the camps itemized giving details of seasonal rates and number of chalets of each type. (CH3 is our favourite in Nossob - difficult to get consecutive days!)
Regards
Sandy

Pascalinah

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:28 am

canceld
Last edited by Pascalinah on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pascalinah

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:34 am

Thank you Sandy and Barrels.
I have feared. So our travel partners must take CH2. :roll:

Greetings Pascalinah

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Pascalinah,

There are actually 3 x CH3 chalets at Nossob of which 2 are accessible to mobility challenged visitors.

You will find the detail availability in the link that I have posted in my original post :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-12 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

Pascalinah

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi Barryels,

thank you very much. :gflower: I have got one CH3 for the 23.february 2017. I think the other 2 chalets for mobility challenged visitors are not to booking online. They are not to book at the link. I'll try to get a second chalet over phone or by email.

Kind regards
Pascalinah

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:35 pm

The units for mobility challenged (in all parks) are only released to the general public one month before the date - in other words they are retained for those who need them until one month before the date.
Letaba 19 July 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp 20-23 July 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:40 pm

minettest - with regards to the best time to visit KTP - all I can say is any time is great! The park has become extremely popular, so obtaining a booking is the first thing to do. Some months are fully-booked (even camping) within minutes of the bookings opening!!

In the winter months daytime temperatures can be quite pleasant but the nighttime temperatures can be extremely low - minus 10 deg C is not unheard of. Obviously the summer months can have very high daytime temperatures - over 40 deg C.

We have been in May, June and October and have had good trips. We had several cold nights during the June trip, but not as cold as it can be.
Letaba 19 July 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp 20-23 July 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Pascalinah

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you Hippotragus

regards
Pascalinah

MNJ001

Unread post by MNJ001 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Good Day All. I am planning my first trip to Kgalagadi and would a bit of advice on the below:
- I have 7 days in the Park, where would it be best to book? Bear in mind that i will be camping so I wouldnt want to spend too much time with the gear when i can be out viewing. However, I wouldnt mind switching camps twice ( so can stay at 3 camps).
- is it possible to do the above route without a 4x4. I might be travelling in a Hyundai H1 or similar

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 am

Hi MNJ001,

If you are camping you can only book at the 3 main camps on the SA side. Or you could try for a camping spot on the Botswana side???

If you are only staying on the SA side, I would book one night Twee Riviere, 3 Nights Mata Mata and 3 Nights Nossob.

I'm not sure how far you will be traveling on your arrival and departure days. If it's a long way maybe book the first and last days in Twee Riviere and then only 2 nights Mata Mata and 3 nights Nossob.

It's all doable with a 4X2.

Enjoy your trip!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

TonyK

Unread post by TonyK » Sun May 29, 2016 3:19 pm

I have never been to Kgalagadi TP so I am unsure what to expect. What is the best time of the year to visit, from a weather, birding and animal point of view. I am planning for either Oct/Nov or March.

Secondly I hear so many mixed reports about road conditions that I don't really know what they are like. I have an Opel Zafira front wheel drive only with slightly higher ground clearance than your average car. Will this suffice? I have heard of little Hyundai I10's making the trip!!!

If I choose to stay at Tweerivieren, Nossab and Mata Mata, what is the minimum number of days one should stay without felling you are chasing a time schedule? If you had to choose between Nossab and MM, which is best and why :D

Many Thanks

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Mon May 30, 2016 8:39 am

Hi TonyK,

TonyK wrote:I have never been to Kgalagadi TP so I am unsure what to expect. What is the best time of the year to visit, from a weather, birding and animal point of view. I am planning for either Oct/Nov or March.

Both October and March are great times to visit the park. You'll struggle to find an open spot this year October. Weather wise it is nice warm days and nights nice and cool.

Secondly I hear so many mixed reports about road conditions that I don't really know what they are like. I have an Opel Zafira front wheel drive only with slightly higher ground clearance than your average car. Will this suffice? I have heard of little Hyundai I10's making the trip!!!

All roads are fine driving a normal sedan of 4X2 vehicle. All 4X4 routes are clearly marked. The roads do get corrugated. That is usually the biggest complaint about road conditions.

If I choose to stay at Tweerivieren, Nossab and Mata Mata, what is the minimum number of days one should stay without felling you are chasing a time schedule? If you had to choose between Nossab and MM, which is best and why :D

A longer stay at Nossob than Mata Mata, because you can decide whether to take a drive towards the north or the south from Nossob. Minimum stay 1 or 2 night TR, 2 Nights Mata Mata, 3 or 4 nights Nossob and then again 1 or 2 nights TR

Many Thanks

Enjoy the trip planning!! It;s a wonderful park!!!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

TonyK

Unread post by TonyK » Mon May 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Thank you Lion Queen, this helps a lot. Now back to the planning board!

Return to “Arid Parks”