Skip to Content

Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Pascalinah

Re: Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:28 am

canceld
Last edited by Pascalinah on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pascalinah

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:34 am

Thank you Sandy and Barrels.
I have feared. So our travel partners must take CH2. :roll:

Greetings Pascalinah

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Pascalinah,

There are actually 3 x CH3 chalets at Nossob of which 2 are accessible to mobility challenged visitors.

You will find the detail availability in the link that I have posted in my original post :thumbs_up: .
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2016 - VOTE!
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

Pascalinah

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi Barryels,

thank you very much. :gflower: I have got one CH3 for the 23.february 2017. I think the other 2 chalets for mobility challenged visitors are not to booking online. They are not to book at the link. I'll try to get a second chalet over phone or by email.

Kind regards
Pascalinah

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:35 pm

The units for mobility challenged (in all parks) are only released to the general public one month before the date - in other words they are retained for those who need them until one month before the date.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:40 pm

minettest - with regards to the best time to visit KTP - all I can say is any time is great! The park has become extremely popular, so obtaining a booking is the first thing to do. Some months are fully-booked (even camping) within minutes of the bookings opening!!

In the winter months daytime temperatures can be quite pleasant but the nighttime temperatures can be extremely low - minus 10 deg C is not unheard of. Obviously the summer months can have very high daytime temperatures - over 40 deg C.

We have been in May, June and October and have had good trips. We had several cold nights during the June trip, but not as cold as it can be.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

Pascalinah

Unread post by Pascalinah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you Hippotragus

regards
Pascalinah

MNJ001

Unread post by MNJ001 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Good Day All. I am planning my first trip to Kgalagadi and would a bit of advice on the below:
- I have 7 days in the Park, where would it be best to book? Bear in mind that i will be camping so I wouldnt want to spend too much time with the gear when i can be out viewing. However, I wouldnt mind switching camps twice ( so can stay at 3 camps).
- is it possible to do the above route without a 4x4. I might be travelling in a Hyundai H1 or similar

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 am

Hi MNJ001,

If you are camping you can only book at the 3 main camps on the SA side. Or you could try for a camping spot on the Botswana side???

If you are only staying on the SA side, I would book one night Twee Riviere, 3 Nights Mata Mata and 3 Nights Nossob.

I'm not sure how far you will be traveling on your arrival and departure days. If it's a long way maybe book the first and last days in Twee Riviere and then only 2 nights Mata Mata and 3 nights Nossob.

It's all doable with a 4X2.

Enjoy your trip!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

TonyK

Unread post by TonyK » Sun May 29, 2016 3:19 pm

I have never been to Kgalagadi TP so I am unsure what to expect. What is the best time of the year to visit, from a weather, birding and animal point of view. I am planning for either Oct/Nov or March.

Secondly I hear so many mixed reports about road conditions that I don't really know what they are like. I have an Opel Zafira front wheel drive only with slightly higher ground clearance than your average car. Will this suffice? I have heard of little Hyundai I10's making the trip!!!

If I choose to stay at Tweerivieren, Nossab and Mata Mata, what is the minimum number of days one should stay without felling you are chasing a time schedule? If you had to choose between Nossab and MM, which is best and why :D

Many Thanks

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Mon May 30, 2016 8:39 am

Hi TonyK,

TonyK wrote:I have never been to Kgalagadi TP so I am unsure what to expect. What is the best time of the year to visit, from a weather, birding and animal point of view. I am planning for either Oct/Nov or March.

Both October and March are great times to visit the park. You'll struggle to find an open spot this year October. Weather wise it is nice warm days and nights nice and cool.

Secondly I hear so many mixed reports about road conditions that I don't really know what they are like. I have an Opel Zafira front wheel drive only with slightly higher ground clearance than your average car. Will this suffice? I have heard of little Hyundai I10's making the trip!!!

All roads are fine driving a normal sedan of 4X2 vehicle. All 4X4 routes are clearly marked. The roads do get corrugated. That is usually the biggest complaint about road conditions.

If I choose to stay at Tweerivieren, Nossab and Mata Mata, what is the minimum number of days one should stay without felling you are chasing a time schedule? If you had to choose between Nossab and MM, which is best and why :D

A longer stay at Nossob than Mata Mata, because you can decide whether to take a drive towards the north or the south from Nossob. Minimum stay 1 or 2 night TR, 2 Nights Mata Mata, 3 or 4 nights Nossob and then again 1 or 2 nights TR

Many Thanks

Enjoy the trip planning!! It;s a wonderful park!!!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

TonyK

Unread post by TonyK » Mon May 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Thank you Lion Queen, this helps a lot. Now back to the planning board!

Russ

Re: Best time to visit KTP

Unread post by Russ » Tue May 31, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi Tony

I notice I am the first to reply but I have a feeling you may get lots of different answers as we all have different opinions. but here is mine;

when to go? I have just returned from 10 fantastic days (4th - 13th May), in the past I have been in Feb, May and Sept, and each time have had great sightings and for the most part good weather. but a couple of things to keep in mind are - possible heavy rain storms November to March and it can be very cold at night at the end of may until October but that being said the temperatures for our last stay ranged from 6deg C to 38deg C and our last night gave us one hell of a light show and 30mm of rain. remember that after the 'rainy season' the grass will be high and this will restrict your views.

roads? in May the roads were the best I have seen in KTP every day a grader or tractor - pulling tyres, were out and about. the worst section was from the upper dune road (picnic spot on nossob side) to Nossob. as for the type of car well you can use a 'i10' but with the banks to the side of the road (in places) and the high grass/bushes you won't see anything so please use a SUV type vehicle, a 4x4 is great but not necessary but I always like to have it mainly for the height but if you do find abit of soft sand there is nothing wrong in having that something extra to get you out of trouble

where to stay? first of all try and get to a wilderness camp, or two, they are better than the main camps but harder to book. I like Mata Mata (riverside cottages) but do not like Nossob (but they are building new cottages at the moment) to see as much of the park as possible it would be best to do both sides that means staying at both. how long do you intend to stay? where are you coming from? these are important questions so you can work out where and how long to stay! but as a guide - 1 x TR, 3 x MM, 2 x Nos, 1 x TR = 7 nights, would be the minimum but if I had a choice I would have as much time in Urikaruus and Grootkolk as possible.

I hope this helps in some way and doesn't give you more questions than answers. have fun and good sightings

Russ
my mind and body may be in england my soul is in africa

kimanjome

Urikaruus vs. Nossob CH3, and travel time

Unread post by kimanjome » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:07 pm

Forumites, can you assist?

At end of July I have TEN straight days booked at Urikaruus, I thought it would be easiest to book there (last year in 2015) and then make swaps along the way.

Well now I am thinking it might be nice to take a break, even if for one night. And now I see that CH3 in Nossob became available, so I booked it, right in the middle of our stay at Urikaruus.

How long is the drive from Uri to Nossob? Is one (1) night at Nossob worth the hassle of packing/unpacking all our gear from Uri, then to set up at Nossob, then return to Uri for the remainder of our stay? To be honest the price at Nossob is so inexpensive with US dollar I am thinking of leaving our "stuff" at Uri in the cabin and just taking bare necessities to Nossob to get by for overnight. But with construction, what do you think? Last time at KTP we tried to make the drive from Uri to Nossob to check it out but never made it--didn't seem to be an easy day trip (there and back) maybe because we got distracted by a cheetah kill enroute.

Other question:

We arrive JNB at 9 am and were planning to catch the 11 am flight to UTN then pick up rental vehicle, go to a local hotel (and sleep, we will have been in traveling for 36+ hours), provision the following morning then go directly to KTP. But airfare is quite high on our days, so I am thinking to maybe drive to KTP from JNB.

If, after arriving in JNB we do 4 or 5 hours drive and then stop midway for sleep, will we be able to get to UTN the next day, provision, then go through TR and onto Urikaruus, all in one day? Gates close early this time of year!

Lastly:

We know it will be cold. Should we bring extra lightweight blanket to put on bed AND to wrap ourselves in at night, while sitting on balcony? Or will sweatpants and sweaters be sufficient?

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Hello Kimonjone
I would suggest when you arrive in JHB stay the night somewhere and relax . because after a long flight to drive out JHB and then having to drive on the left hand side of the road It might not be the best idea especially if you are sleepy . . Leave JHB early in the morning and it can be done and it will be along drive but spend the night in a B&B Upington way then first thing in the morning drive to Twee rivieren . Just one idea
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Return to “Arid Parks”