Kgalagadi: Gharagab Wilderness Camp

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi: Gharagab Wilderness Camp

Unread post by anne-marie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:04 am

good news, thank you barryels :)
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Imvubu
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imvubu » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Wow !!! We have returned from one of the most spectacular trips ever! Gharagab is ...as Barryels said "amazing"!
We had lions from the day we arrived till the day we left...as well as cheetah; jackal; gemsbok; hartebeest; brown hyena...and many birds and mice!!!
The road was not bad at all, although the last dune is rather challenging! It can be recognized by the 2 roads to choose from. Apparently the one on the left is the newer one but, it too now has big 'dongas' in it. Barryels you must have passed there before they were made. It is not impossible but a challenge...and the talking point at the first picnic site thereafter!
As for the waterhole...FULL!!! :clap: Eric, the friendly camp manager fills it daily, unless threatened by lions lying in the shade of the lookout tower, as was the case when we arrived! :big_eyes:
There are many room inspectors of the cute/mischievous kind (sociable weavers; mice and bats) so, yes, keep all your food safely tucked away in plastic boxes or, out of reach.
The fridges work very well (no ices trays though) so, bring your own or, bring ice! The freezer section would have been a bit small for us to keep ice in as we had all our meat in there.
The nearby waterhole, according to Eric, is now closed! There was no water at all when we went past.
Cabin 1, again as Barryels stated, has a direct view from the left bed...don't tell your SO and bags it as soon as you get there!!! :whistle:
We went on a drive (remember it's a one way route) all the way to Union's End (well worth a visit) and back, +- 100km's but, again worth doing.
Would love to do a trip report so...if anyone can guide me please do!
Booking done :dance: :dance: :dance: :
Croc Bridge: 18/02/2017
L. Sabie: 19 - 21/02/2017
Tamboti: 21 - 23/02/2017
Sirheni: 23 - 25/02/2017
Pafuri Border Camp: 25 - 28/02/2017
Bateleur: 28/02 - 02/03 2017
Satara: 02/03/2017
L. Sabie: 03/03/2017

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:04 am

Imvubu wrote:Would love to do a trip report so...if anyone can guide me please do!

Hi Imvubu, read a few trip reports here, and you'll soon know what to do:

Travel Tales!

Also read the tutorials on How to host photos for use with trip reports, How to resize your photos, etc.

Should you need more advice, please don't hesitate to ask! Looking forward to your first trip report! :dance: :dance:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

Imvubu
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imvubu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:56 pm

Two more questions then I should be ok:
1. Do I go to Travel Tales and click on "New Topic" and make up a title?
2. Can we post pictures of places stayed at on the way to the park?
Booking done :dance: :dance: :dance: :
Croc Bridge: 18/02/2017
L. Sabie: 19 - 21/02/2017
Tamboti: 21 - 23/02/2017
Sirheni: 23 - 25/02/2017
Pafuri Border Camp: 25 - 28/02/2017
Bateleur: 28/02 - 02/03 2017
Satara: 02/03/2017
L. Sabie: 03/03/2017

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:20 am

Hi Imvubu, to answers your questions:

1. Yes, go to Travel Tales, click on "New Topic" and put in your title.
2. Unfortunately you cannot post pictures of places stayed at on the way to the park. Kindly refer to these rules if you have any doubt of what you may or may not do:

RULES for posting on the SANParks Forums

Also please remember not to post locations of endangered species: Please read HERE. (A Pangolin would fall under endangered species in KTP.)

Also take note of this: Reminder about the limit of photos per page.

After you have read all of the above, you should be okay! :thumbs_up:

Looking forward to read all about your trip! :popcorn:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

Nina!

Unread post by Nina! » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm

This topic has been inactive for some months now.
Does anyone have any news about Gharagab (camp, current sightings, condition of the road over THE dune, rainfall, anything....)?

We will be there in October and would love to hear what's currently going on at Gharagab.

Thanks.

Nina

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:41 am

Lucky you, Nina! Gharagab is my favourite camp in KTP!

We were there for 4 nights in May this year. The road in was fine but the last dune on the way out took 2 attempts in 4x4!

The first day we saw brown and spotted hyena at the waterhole. One day we had a lioness and a beautiful big male lion at the waterhole and then they lay down just past the tent furthest from Eric's tent. Other animals passed by.

One day we drove out of camp, back to the "main" road and back in again. We didn't see much on that drive - should probably have just stayed in camp and watched whatever came by!

Eric was his usual friendly, helpful and informative self! He dropped by every evening for a chat on the day's happenings.

I hope you have a fantastic stay there in October.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:37 pm

I envy you Nina! I agree with what Hippotragus has said, although I'm still waiting for THE dune! Before we knew it, we were at the T-junction with the main road. :thumbs_up:

Fortunately I wasn't driving, because I couldn't see any road at all! We left at six, and the sun was right into our eyes while driving over those dunes! I don't know how my SO managed to stay on the road, I just enjoyed it, and was very disappointed when it came to an end. :D

We stayed in unit no. 1 in February 2015, which cannot really be compared with October, and I had the bed on the right hand side if you stand before the beds, which was the best. At night, I just lifted my head, and could see what was going on at the waterhole without even getting up at all! Gharagab is my most favourite camp in Kgalagadi! We also had brown Hyena, Gemsbok, Giraffes, Ostriches, Black-backed Jackal, Cape Fox, male and female Lions visiting the waterhole.

I had the flu, that's why we stayed in camp the next day, and saw all the above animals during the day as well, apart from the Brown Hyena. Because I wasn't feeling well, we didn't invite Eric for a braai that evening like we did with the Eric from Urikaruus, but left him his plate of food in the fridge. Those camp attendants are all very friendly and informative, and I think they are very lonely being away from their families for two weeks at a time. :D

I hope you have a wonderful time in October, and that you will tell us all about your experiences in a trip report upon your return! :dance: :dance:

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:19 am

I have also some information as received from Mr. Ben van Eeden, the Tourism manager at Kgalagadi :thumbs_up: .

"Gharagab is fine and the sightings are as usual although it is dry in the Park after the winter season.

I will be visiting Gharagab during the week of 7-11 September and will then be in a better position to comment on the two track road over the dune."
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

HawkI007

Unread post by HawkI007 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:40 am

Our stay at Gharagab was great - my personal favourite of all the camps we stayed in.

The camp Manager Andries was very good - a wealth of information on the animals if you take the time to chat to him. He did have us all line up for a rules briefing but he lightened up considerably afterwards :-)

We saw plenty of animals in and around the camp - every night we had BB Jackal at the watering hole, the bird life was very good as well. on our second evening, we had a lioness walk through the camp and go for a drink at the water hole.

The 4x4 road is not too bad but there is one part just before you exit back onto the main road where the road splits into 2 which is quite thick sand and needs some careful driving - the one thing which is not a gripe but just an observation - the 4x4 road in and out of Gharagab is quite closely encroached by thorn trees/shrubs so prepare for some side stripes on your vehicle.

If you have any questions - just drop me a PM.
Augrabies National Falls 22 Aug
Kamieskroon 23,24,25 Aug
Tatasberg 26,27,28 Aug
Augrabies National Falls 29 Aug
Kalahari Tented camp 30,31 Aug
Urikaruus 1,2,3 Sep
Gharagab 4,5, Sep
Twee Rivieren 6 Sep

Return to “Arid Parks”