Kgalagadi roads

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi roads

Unread postby Jo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Expat

As far as I know, it is not allowed.....to keep the wilderness camps as quiet as possible.....otherwise it may become a bit of a 4x4 highway!!!

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Sorry Expat, agree with Jo -- Bitterpan roads are "residents only".

Why don't you book a 3-day eco-trail ? 4X4 only and camping all the way

Graham Dyer

Unread postby Graham Dyer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:03 pm

A couple of observations after a recent trip to the KTP: the roads are very 'deep' in places, sometimes 50-75cm below the surrounding ground level. This will only continue to get worse, subsiding deeper and deeper until the road will have to be moved or filled. This presumably has been a problem for some time and it seems way the grading is being done is partly to blame.

I watched one of the graders working last year and they grade (as per convention) so that the blade cuts from the middle of the road pushing the material to the outside, this creates a raised berm on either side of the road and if not pushed far enough out actually makes the road narrower. Each successive pass of the grader also makes the road deeper by a couple of cm so the road level gets progressively lower and lower.

I feel the graders need to, once in a while, grade with the blades cutting from the outer edge of the road in to push the material back into the middle which will slow down the subsidence of the road surface.

The other cause of course, are the passing vehicles themselves throwing up small particles and dust which then is deposited a short distance away from the road depending on particle weight, about which not much can be done except to slow them down.

Another offshoot of this is the vigorous growth of the plants immediately bordering the road, with shrubs and bushes 3x higher than those some distance away. The additional pooled water in the subsided road and extra soil encouraging this rapid growth, as seen just north of TR towards the confluence.

Regarding the corrugations (washboarding), they will ALWAYS form, unless vehicles remain below a critical speed (<8 km/h - ref: http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/nicolas.taberlet/washboard/). Reduced tyre pressures will help but only grading (expensive) and to a lessor extent dragging with tyres will remove them (cheaper but less effective unless done regularly). The 'dragged tyre contraption' at Nossob is small and light enough for a bakkie to tow and was towed a distance during the time that we where there reducing the corrugations considerably.

An idea, what if either forum members or other members of the public could volunteer to tow the 'dtc' from point to point? e.g. Someone could tow it from TR to Nsb one day and someone else back again the next. Either that or each camp needs one and it needs to be used probably 2-3 times a week on each road.
TrailsGuide20yrs, Parks visited: KNP(250+visits),MasaaiMara,Amboseli,Samburu,Chobe,Moremi,Savuti,S.Luangwa,Hwange,ManaPools,SkelCoast,Etosha, Mabua,CntrlKalahari,KTP,Khutsi,Hluhluwe/iMf,Mkuzi,Ndumu,Ithala,SabiSands,Addo,Madikwe,Pilanesbrg,Gonarezhou

snooby

Best route from Kgalagadi to Karoo NP

Unread postby snooby » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:15 pm

I try to find the best route from Kgalagadi NP to Karoo NP. Google Maps recommends the route via Keimos and Kenhardt but I'm not sure if the road is tarred completely. Kenhardt seems to be an unspectacular but good overnight stop but I only want to take this route if it is not gravel road.

Other option is N10/N12 but this route is about 100 km longer.

Thanks for your help

Snooby, Germany

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Best route from Kgalagadi to Karoo NP

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Snooby,

The Keimoes - Kenhardt - Calvinia - Vanrhynsdorp road is an excellent tar road. I will be on it in less than 2 weeks to Kgal. Calvinia is a large town with many overnight facilities, and is easily reachable in a day from 2R.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Canuck-Robin-Chats

Unread postby Canuck-Robin-Chats » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:37 pm

We always drive to Kgalagadi from Cape Town (4X) via Karoo National Park, where we spend a night or two - a lovely park. From Karoo NP, we take the N12/N10 route, which is a lovely drive through the Karoo. It is 624km from Karoo NP to Upington, and it is tar all the way - a very good highway (and not at all busy, needless to say) and a pretty drive through the desert. On our last visit, we left Beaufort West (near Karoo NP) at 9:30am and arrived (taking our time and admiring the scenery) in Upington at 5:00pm - with a brief (~30 min) stop for tea and a 45 minute stop for a picnic lunch along the highway...... and many stops for photos.

Jonkers

Unread postby Jonkers » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm

If we go via Karoo we leave after breakfast 7h00, arrive around midday at Witsand. We have the whole afternoon /night at Witsand (Groblershoop) leaving next morning and from there to KTP 2 R arriving in the afternoon.

Bart47

Re: Twee Rivieren to Bitterpan - route?

Unread postby Bart47 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 am

Me and a friend are staying for three nights at Twee Rivieren in Kgalagadi and we would like to go to Richtersveld. We already found out that it takes about 9 hours to get from Twee Rivieren to Sendelingedrift. So we can leave Twee Rivieren at 7am when they open the gate and be at Sendelingedrift at 5am an hour before the gate closes.
The only accomodation left (we won't be camping) will be at Ganakouriep. From what i understand once your are in the park you can also drive in the park after the gate is closed (maybe i am wrong)
So if that is true do we have to check in at Sendelingedrift and then we can go our way? Or is that too late for us and we are not gonna make it to Ganakouriep?
Does anyone know how far it is from Sendelingedrift to Ganakouriep?

Or this is too ambitious and can we better stay at the Namibian side of the park wich is closer by from Twee Rivieren. We do drive a 4 x 4 so we can drive all roads..

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby WeskusKlong » Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am

@Bart47,

Driving after dark in the RTP is not common practice and I strongly advise you not to attempt to do so either. It is not a challenging route but in the dark the chances of you getting lost or stuck somewhere is just to big - not worth it. As long as you stay on the well traveled routes in the RTP it is easy going but one wrong turnoff can get you into a situation where it can be days before anybody would find you there.

I recommend exiting Kgalagadi at Mata Mata, driving to Ai-Ais or Canon Roadhouse. Sleep over at one of the 2 resorts and do the rest of the route the following day. Re-stock supplies at Keetmanshoop - especially on meat as it is dirt cheap compared to SA prises.

Very worthwhile is the Gamkab 4x4 shortcut on route between Ai-Ais/Canon Roadhouse and Sendelingsdrift. Scenic and really worth it. It is not clearly marked on the Ai-Ais side of the route but you will find it @ S28 12.653 E17 26.288. Then proceed on the C13 to the pontoon at Sendelingsdrift.
In love with God's creation

Bart47

Unread postby Bart47 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks Weskusklong, do you think it is possible to drive from Twee Rivieren and then exit at Mata Mata and then get to Keetmanshoop? From there we can drive to Richtersveld the next day.
You are right it is not a good idea to drive in the dark out there.

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby WeskusKlong » Thu May 05, 2011 10:19 am

@Bart47,

Yes you can definitely do that - more than enough time. In 2010 we drove from KTC, made a long stop in Keetmanshoop for stock and fuel and very comfortably still drove to Ai-Ais where we still had to setup camp - in one day. This year we will drive from Rooiputs, sleep over at *******. The next day we will then drive to Ai-Ais, with a stop at Keetmanshoop.

Don't know when you plan your trip but remember from 3 April to 4 September Namibia operates at UTC + 1 hour - which helps a lot as you basically have an extra hour in traveling time out of SA (UTC + 2). Down side is Sendelingsdrift will close an hour earlier when traveling from Namibia.

Hope this helps .
Last edited by Dotty on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: non SANPARKS accomodation
In love with God's creation

Bart47

Unread postby Bart47 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 pm

This helps a lot, thanks for the info.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Thu May 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Bart47,

The distances between camps may look short but traveling is very slow. It can take you easily 3 hours to De Hoop from Sendelingsdrift so be prepared for a long days drive to Gannakouriep. Work on about 20 km/h traveling time.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

SheldonandAiri

Kgalagadi...Am I nuts to be driving this far?

Unread postby SheldonandAiri » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:16 am

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are taking a trip to South Africa in a couple of months, and we have at the last minute decided to go to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (It looks awesome). Now I would like to get an honest educated opinion on our travel distances within the park. I've looked for info for where we will be traveling, but I haven't seen any approx. times/distances, which worries me, because maybe no one is stupid enough to do this particular route. As i said, we booked things last minute, so we were a little cornered as to where we could stay. The second night we are in the park we will be staying at Mata Mata rest camp however, the next day we will have to travel to the Bitterpan camp. Now when I look at the park maps, it looks like this is going to be one heck of a drive since inorder to get to Bitterpan we will have to back track to Nassob, and then take the one way 4X4 route to our final destination. Has anyone attemped to go from Mata Mata to Bitterpan? Am I crazy, or am I getting myself all worried for nothing? Will I run out of gas before I get to Nassob? (that would suck, but I'm sure the lions wouldn't mind. lol). What times can I start travelling in the morning from Mata Mata? Can I only travel when the park gates open?(we will be there in Oct. so the gates open at 06:00) Or because I'am in the park already, would I be able to start travel at 5 AM in the morning? I've also heard that renting a Toyota Hilux is the way to go...is this true? any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Re: Kgalagadi...Am I nuts to be driving this far?

Unread postby Kgalagadi Guru » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:44 am

@SheldonandAiri,

Firstly welcome to the forums hope you will have a great time here and also enjoy the park.

Have a look at the Kgalagadi Information thread, there you will find plenty of information you require. You are not nuts in driving from Mata-Mata to Bitterpan the route is possible and has been done plenty of times by visitors.
Unfortunately you can only leave campsites at gate opening time. Regarding the type of vehicle...there will be plenty comments but the Hilux is a good call.

If there is any other information you would like please do not hesitate to post it or even drop me an email and I will assist gladly.

All of the best.

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

Return to “Arid Parks”