Skip to Content

Kgalagadi roads

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
louierh

Re: Routes from KTP to Richtersveld

Unread post by louierh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 pm

We will exit from Twee Rivieren. Or are there any other exits that we can use that will be more optimum for travel to Richtersveld?

And thank's for the very quick feedback :-)

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by afri-explore » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm

You will have to exit at Mata Mata to go over Grunau and the pontoon at Sendelingsdrift.

louierh

Unread post by louierh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Hello! So it's possible to cross to Namibia from Mata-Mata? Because it says everywhere that that border crossing is closed, which is why we are thinking of passing via Reitfontein.

I also read that the Pontoon sometimes does not run due to the weather. Will it be a problem in January because of the rainy season?

And finally, any suggestions on the way out to Cape Town?

Thank's!

kesheshe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kesheshe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm

went out mata mata to RTP 3 weeks ago. We did a stop over on way to RTP. i think you could make it but it will be some drive.

The Pontoon sometimes is delayed also due to wind.

From a time point of view maybe consider driving from Keetmanshoop to Aus and down the C13. We did not go this way but when we got onto the C13 it was tar. Therefore it maybe tar all the way so from a time point of view maybe worth investigating.
2011 September KTP - 17 days

I am against hotels in KNP

louierh

Unread post by louierh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:49 pm

It's great to know that the Mata-Mata border is open! In our guidebook it says that the border is closed.

If the above is still true by mid-January, we just might go via the route you suggested - that is, via Keetmanshoop - Aus because it might indeed save us some time. Thank's for this idea!

Do you have any suggestions for the route out of Richtersverld to Cape Town?

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm

To exit at Mata Mata louierh, you must stay at least 2 nights in Kgalagadi.

I don't know whether there is border control there or if you have to do formalities at Twee Rivieren.

The best route from Richtersveld (unless you want to test your hilux's 4x4 capabilities further) to CT is back to Alex Bay, then there is a tar road via Port Nolloth, Steinkopf, Springbok etc on the N7 to Cape Town.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

louierh

Unread post by louierh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Hello! Thank's for the advise re: stay in KTP. This is going to be okay because we will be staying there for 7 nights.

Going back to Cape Town, is the way via Helskloof Gate very difficult? We will actually be spending our last night in Richtersveld at Richtersberg and though that maybe we can exit via Helskloof.

Thank's again!

kesheshe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kesheshe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:36 pm

i exited via Helskloof from Tatasberg which is only 3.2km from where you are staying -you will manage no problem people do it in 4x2's. The only thing it will take you a good few hours as some places are slow going. Regarding the way to CPT i agree with Bush Baptist.

Regarding the process at TR you will do RSA border process. This is quick and means you have officially exited RSA. Entry into NAM is at the small border post at Mata Mata - also quick and simple and then you are in NAM. Regarding the timing you have 30 days allowance from when you have exited RSA till entry to NAM so your 7 days will be no problem. Remember that border into NAM only opens at 8am making the the trip to RTP by 4pm tight to say the least.

louierh

Unread post by louierh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi,

Can you say how many hours will be added to the trip to Cape Town if we exit via Helskloof compared to if we go back to Sendelingsdrift from Richtersberg and go via Alexander Bay?

Oh, and thank's for the tip regarding the opening time of the border to Namibia! We didn't factor that into our plan and thought we will reach Sendelingsdrift Camp in one day.

kesheshe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kesheshe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Going back to Sendelingsdrift to come out would i think take longer.

louierh

Unread post by louierh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Thank's!

On another note, do you think we will make it in one day from Upington to the Twee Rivieren Camp, at least, before the park gates close?

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by afri-explore » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Mata Mata to Sendelingsdrift can be done in about 8 hours.

Richtersberg over Helskloof pass exit (2H 30m) to Alexander Bay (to top up on fuel) and down to cape Town easily in one day. Done it before and it takes about 8-9 hours.

Catriona

Unread post by Catriona » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Yes - it only took us about two and a half hours from Upington to TR so we had time to shop and still get to TR by lunch time. The road is very straight, empty and tarred!

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:12 am

@louierh

August this year we did the route you are discussing here. We slept over at Augrabies close to Upington on day one. From there it is a very easy drive to Twee Rivieren.

From Mata Mata to Sendelingsdrift is a long haul, as afri-explore said it will take you at least 8 hours. Take note that you will travel on gravel roads so my suggestion is to take it slow. 80km/h with a loaded 4x4 is reasonably safe. Keetmanshoop is 260 km from Mata Mata and a good place to stock up on everything. Meat is very cheep and of high quality - expect to pay less than half the price you will pay in KTP.

From Keetmashoop to Ai Ais resort is another 210km. This is a beautiful resort in the Fish River canyon with 3 swimming pools - 1 outdoor and 2 indoor. As it will be VERY hot during your time of visit, it may be a good idea to sleep here for a day or 2. They provide for a wide range of accommodation:

From Ai Ais to Sendelingsdrift is a short drive but again you will pass through spectacular scenery. Optional to the normal route, there is a 13km 4x4 shortcut via the Gamkab river bed:

From the Richtersveld Transfrontier Park there are a few options to get to Cape Town. Yes providing it does not rain, the easiest way is via Alexander Bay and Port Nolloth and from last mentioned, it is an easy drive on tar roads to Cape Town. IF (very big IF ) it rains a lot, stay away from the dirt road Sendelingsdrift to Alexanderbay as it can become impassible due to mud. There are a few other routes that will provide you with spectacular scenery, like via Lekkersing in the Richtersveld Conservancy. Shorter route than via Alex but the roads are a bit worse:

Bakkrans Caves (You can arrange to camp in the cave. )

Via Helskloof Pass in the Nababieb reserve (not the one in the RTP with the same name) you can see very special rock formations. This route is a bit 4x4-ish but with a good 4x4 nothing to worry about. It takes you to Vioolsdrif on the SA side of the river, wher you can get on the N7 tar road to Cape Town :

and if you still have time on hand you can visit the Namaqua Coast National Park on your way to Cape Town. There is a new 4x4 route along the dunes, with sleep-over options. For all the optional routes I suggest you have pre-defined routes on a GPS with Tracks4Africa loaded.
In love with God's creation

expat
Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP

Re: Kgalagadi roads

Unread post by expat » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:57 am

Please can anyone tell me if it is permissable to drive (in a 4x4 of course) from Nossob via Bitterpan to Mata Mata without staying at Bitterpan? Love Bitterpan, but our next trip is pure camping! And far in the future, but making plans is part of the excitment in the anticipation!
expat

Return to “Arid Parks”