Skip to Content

Early check-in for campsite 2R possible?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
tschaap

Early check-in for campsite 2R possible?

Unread post by tschaap » Tue May 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello,
Is it possible to check-in for my reservation for the campsite at 2R when I enter the park when the gate opens?
Or have I come back in the afternoon? In that case it cost game driving time.

Thank you for your reply.
Kind regards,
Tom
We are traveling Overland with our car from Cape Town to The Netherlands to meet different people and cultures. But most of all, enjoy its landscapes and visit NP's to see wildlife in there natural habitat.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Early check-in for campsite 2R possible?

Unread post by Hugh » Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello there Please give us more details as to where you are entering the park and which camp you are staying at .If it a camp site often you can go choose your site early
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

tschaap

Unread post by tschaap » Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello Hugh,
Thank you for your quick reply.
I will stay 2 and 3 of June at 2R rest camp at camping site 6CKP and 4th of June at 2R rest camp camping site 6CK.
So when I come early in the morning as soon as the gate at 2R opens, can I check-in for
the 2 reservations? (One reservation= 2 and 3 june and Two reservation=4 june)
If I understand it correct, I can choose a "best" spot? Can you recommend any?

I hope you have enough information what is possible and how can I do best.
This is my first visit to a San-park with my first wildcard.

Kind regards,
Tom
We are traveling Overland with our car from Cape Town to The Netherlands to meet different people and cultures. But most of all, enjoy its landscapes and visit NP's to see wildlife in there natural habitat.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 am

Dear tschaap ,

Welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: .

According to the rules of the park, you can only occupy your accommodation/campsite at 14:00 on the day of arrival and have to vacate your accommodation/campsite by 10:00 on the day of departure. HERE is a link to the rules and regulations for easy reference :thumbs_up: .

I suggest that you ask the personnel when you book in at arrival if it might be possible to occupy your stand earlier if the campsite is not fully booked already.

Regards,
barryels
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-13 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

tschaap

Unread post by tschaap » Wed May 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Hello Barryels,
Thank you for the quick respons.
I do not want to go to the campsite earlyer.
I understand that there are different places on the campsite.
So, when I enter the park at, let say 7.30, I can show the booking of the camp site at the gate?
Or I show my reservation at the entrance of the camp site at, let say, 7.40 after entering the gate? And leave the place and not comming back before 14.00.
For me it is importend to know if I can get a spot where I can use my rooftop tent.
Is it, who is comming first gets the best spot?

Maybe I want to know to many details and just let it come as it goes. And accept whatever is happening

Kind regards,
Tom

jan.dup

Unread post by jan.dup » Fri May 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi tschaap, As far as I know you can enter the park early, go to the book in counter and show your reservation. They will advise on the day whether you can do your book in there and then or come back later. This would however not stand in your way to do a game drive and come back later to either set up your camp if you are already booked in or to book in and then go set up your camp - so you will not loose out on a game drive :lol:
The camping sites work on a first come first serve basis - and you can choose any of the open sites as per your booking type. On all the sites you will be able to use your rooftop tent - no problem there. But most of all go and enjoy the park it is one of the best out there and I'm sure you will enjoy your visit !!!

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi tschaap,

Your questions were forwarded to SANParks PR for an answer :thumbs_up: .

@ jan.dup,

Thank you for the information :thumbs_up: . I think tschaap's problem is how he safeguard his campsite when he don't pitch a tent and go on a drive?
KNP 5-13 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm

tschaap wrote:Hello Barryels,
Thank you for the quick respons.
I do not want to go to the campsite earlyer.
I understand that there are different places on the campsite.
So, when I enter the park at, let say 7.30, I can show the booking of the camp site at the gate?
Or I show my reservation at the entrance of the camp site at, let say, 7.40 after entering the gate? And leave the place and not comming back before 14.00.
For me it is importend to know if I can get a spot where I can use my rooftop tent.
Is it, who is comming first gets the best spot?

Maybe I want to know to many details and just let it come as it goes. And accept whatever is happening

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I did communicate with SANParks PR in the meantime and hope that the following will clear all the uncertainties.

1. When you arrive at 2R, go to reception and book into the park by means of your reservation.
2. You can then go straight to the camping area and choose any empty campsite with power as booked. Their is no need to wait until 14:00 to do this.
3. Because you are using a rooftop tent, it is suggested that you put something on the camping site to show to other visitors that the camp site is occupied before you leave the camp site for a drive.
4. You can then follow the same procedure when you have to move onto a non-power camp site.

Enjoy the trip and sightings :thumbs_up: .

Regards,
barry
KNP 5-13 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

shfish

Unread post by shfish » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm

tschaap
Just to add to Barryel's post above - just remember that a lot of campers will go for a short game drive before departing their site. So, in other words, book into the park, go for a short drive yourself and return at 10h00 when those leaving TR that day have to move out. Leave your table and chairs at the site to indicate it's occupied and then head out on your game drive at your leisure.

tschaap

Unread post by tschaap » Sat May 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Thank you all for your rely.
Everything is clear now.
We surtainly will enjoy our stay at the park. We heard and read a lot about it. We cannot imaging that we are driving soon in this wonderfull park.

kind regards,
Ans and Tom.

Return to “Arid Parks”